Is college/university worth it?

I think we addressed this already.
https://tw.forumosa.com/t/being-blamed-by-cram-school-for-loss-of-business/228997/41

But I look forward to seeing you topple Musk from the richest list,.since.you have no ceiling. Me, maybe I’m delusional or stopping myself, but I’m pretty sure I have a definite ceiling - I’m not sure what it is, but I know is somewhere shy of dozens of millions a year. :stuck_out_tongue:

“It’s all relative :blush:” I don’t consider 85th-90 percentile in the US a good salary (as relates to talking about ceiling in pay) either (edit: to be clear, that percentile is really decent salary. But when using it as an example of how well you can do without a degree? it hardly moves the needle compared to realistic possibilities with degrees (not all degrees, but also not having to get into a ridiculously unusual situation either)).

1 Like

The median income is 70,000 though average income is close to 100,000 in the us

That will never happen. I have no desire for that :sweat_smile: I just wanna retire early and sip cocktails on a beach somewhere. That’s enough for me. That’s not a ceiling though, it’s a choice.

I will never agree there is a ceiling to earning because that’s not true. No one has a physical cap on earnings.

But I’m with you that degrees help :sweat_smile: i disagree that they’re necessary to make money

Wish I was in your shoes then :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

Working isn’t the only way to make money in capitalist economies. My goal is to not work.

We are different people with different goals and skills. That doesn’t mean there is a ceiling. It means we’ve made choices that best suit us.

That’s household income, right?

I used this as my source. It looks like it’s household and the article was mistaken

Are You Well-Paid? Compare Your Salary to the Average U.S. Income | The Motley Fool.

In Taiwan it isn’t just 4 years of study, it’s many more years of study before college, often overtime study, to gain admission to some college. And I’m not all too clear if it even matters which college you go to. Like does it matter if I got admitted to say NTU where I’d have to study for 16 hours a day for years going to cram school to memorize shit to take a test, or find some no name private university for the same? All the skills/information you need can be taught on the job or researched online. Maybe there’s connections you develop in college but how do I quantify that? Also could I not get the same connections by auditing classes (which doesn’t require formal admission) or taking classes as a non degree student (which again, doesn’t require formal admission)?

1 Like

I agree. A positive attitude from a young age is all someone really needs to get ahead. Or at least live a comfortable, happy, life.

But there are so many pathways to admission these days. It’s not just taking the test anymore

1 Like

Have you tried hiring for a job? Do you expect people to interview every rando with irrelevant background because they showed interest on the off chance they might actually be qualified? People have better things to do with their life.

My two older cousins, oldest went to University with the Military, did his masters and Phd in Malaria research won the order of Australia. As an officer with over 40 years of service retired well off. His younger brother, high school graduate, started life as an airline ticket clerk at domestic terminal check in. Moved to other parts of the airline including freight forwarding. Moved to a then small company and work there the rest of his career ( 36 years ) and ended up retiring as CEO of DHL

These type of careers where you can start with high school and end up as CEO are very rare.

Is college worth it? Sure. I am a high school graduate. I do ok now but not always the case but I built up my own small business so not really an employee.

My lad is a lawyer. His three year JD Law cost A$40,000 a year in tuition only. That’s after his 4 year undergraduate degree. Throw in living costs and books lap tops etc then investment close to 100k a year at law school. He makes a nice 6 figure income and has a nice 9 - 5 job lifestyle. His wife works at as a manager in an international hotel but earns less. She has an associate diploma in graphic arts.

Without their education they would not have these careers. I do not have an education or a career. But my actual work today in the office will be around 30 minutes as I have 26 live sports matches live at the same time to setup. I do not trade or analyze live sports just provide feeds to clients. Some of my clients are publicly listed companies in the USA or UK some are not.

In the last several years I take an average of 10 - 14 weeks vacation per year. So almost like semi retirement. It took me many years to get to this lifestyle. I earn a decent income. I busted arse getting to where I am now. So up to you Taiwan Luthiers to do a business that earns you a decent income. Life wasn’t meant to be easy.

That’s everywhere.

I guess that’s technically true, but if you want to be a, oh, let’s say an engineer, I don’t want to have to spend my time teaching you the basics or have you spending a lot of time not doing your job while you try to learn online. OJT to learn specialized skills is one thing, but to get the basics down (what engineering school provides)? People who don’t have a good grasp of the basics not only are a salary sink themselves, they suck time and productivity from the better engineers who would otherwise be off being productive. I had to fire a time sink of a guy this year. It wasn’t fun.

This question is same as flat earth tbh. Just look around you who are richer people usually? Doctors, lawyers and engineers. Why is this an argument?

2 Likes

For what school? For top schools like NTU test is the ONLY pathway to admissions unless you meet other nonnegotiable requirements (such as not having Taiwan citizenship).

For some random private schools, just being able to pay is enough.

My question isn’t so much if college is worth it, is that do I have to be in top schools like NTU?

So normal. My lad did his 12 years of education before starting his tertiary studies. Then 7 years of university to become a lawyer. Worked his butt off and got on the Deans list in his law degree for being a top student. In Australia exams are not so important as they do not make up the majority of your scores.

Me on the other hand, just a regular under educated pleb. A pauper living in the mountains. Woe is me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well how about all the other people in Taiwan who never went to NTU? Do you think they cannot have good careers or start a business?

In Taiwan the name will probably open some doors, in reality having graduated from there is not a measure of much if anything. Otherwise, it depends on the program.

As I have said before, you don’t need a university to learn (sometimes they aren’t helpful) but they can give you a credential (these are valued by employers, particularly in Taiwan)

2 Likes

This also relies on a number of other factors, for example if you are 20 years older than everyone else it might be difficult to make friends

Yes, I’ve told you this. Universities are accredited so they can give a qualification to you on paper that affirms you have been assessed on the learning in some fashion.

Probably not. There’s groupwork and study sessions and lunches between classes and other things that apply to to full time enrolled students. Just sitting in on a class won’t really be the same, especially since most professors won’t have you talking to other students during their lectures anyways

It comes back to what your goal is

1 Like

Not just in Taiwan but anywhere really.

You might also be a great resource for them and leverage that into connections, even if you’re not friends.

From my understanding, all public schools now have multiple pathways to admission including NTU. I don’t remember the details because they were complicated and also in Chinese. But I’ll ask my colleagues again tomorrow and explain the pathways better