Is college/university worth it?

I went to NTU and asked about this, and the only pathway is basically tests if you are Taiwanese citizens. Other non test pathway is reserved for foreigners, aboriginals, etc.

There’s transfer admission but no idea how easy it is to get in.

I saw the brief for NTUST last year and there’s only 1 place for transfer admissions. So odds are I’m not getting in because I’m competing with thousands of others.

But vast majority are going to be taking tests, which is why cram school business even exists.

When did you go? I know there’s been a lot educational reforms recently. I can’t read or speak Chinese very well yet so maybe I just misunderstood something. From what I understand is that even for top tier school there are a limited number of seats open that include interviews, a portfolio, and an essay. It’s just that the test is the easiest way.

But again maybe I’m mistaken. I’ll double check

My girlfriend did a part time masters at Chung Hsing. The assessment was only based on her resume. Not sure but maybe something similar is available for undergrad.

Anyway as long the school is accredited, where you do your bachelor’s is largely irrelevant. Grad schools are more what matter which is why it’s so much more expensive to attend grad school. You can go to a kid rank university, get really good grades and apply for grad school at a top rank university with much less competition

Of course PhD programs are actually superior in the USA since they usually are funded and come with a built in TA or RA position

I know in the US if you have to pay to go to grad school, then it’s not worth going to. UT Austin grad students are paid almost 2000 dollars a month.

I went to NTU to ask and they really don’t give me much confidence of getting in except for tests. They mentioned transfer admissions but at the time they made it seem as though NTU does not accept transfer students at that time.

Get NTU out of your mind. They aren’t necessarily better, just the most “famous” in Taiwan. This is the university least likely in the country to accept you.

For my first degree, I applied to all the universities in places I wanted to live. For my last degree, I looked into all the universities in the country that had the program I wanted.

Cast a wide net and you will have options. Universities in Taiwan are closing for want of students. If you focus on the one university that will never lack students, that is the hardest one to get into.

3 Likes

I been looking at FJU because it’s easy to get into, but they don’t have the program I want.

I don’t know what universities have mechanical engineering programs, and I don’t know how to find out.

Another issue, perhaps a more important issue, is how I’m going to pay for it. I got no idea how student loans work here.

Start here:

They all have website, look for faculties/colleges of engineering, maybe under academics, then look for your program/department

Or you really need to learn to use Google, see the first hit for “english language engineering programs taiwan”:

This I can’t help you with, try searching in Chinese. The universities should have financial aid offices that can help, or probably there are Chinese language websites from the MoE. I know that the government has lots of money for subsidizing and scholarships for tuition, but you’ll have to work for living expenses

4 Likes

Are you dead set on staying in Taiwan? There are good programs overseas.

I guess I was wrong about NTU then. I probably just misunderstood what my coworkers were telling me

If my wife wasn’t so insistent on staying here, I would have done grad school at a university in America. There’s just way more diversity in terms of research especially in my field (social psychology). Here there are two social psychology program taught in English in all of Taiwan (one at Asia University in Taichung and the other at national chung Cheng university in Chiayi). Both are way too far from Taipei for me to make them work so I had to switch to Asian Studies (I have a degree in political science as well so it does still fit). It’s made things much more challenging, although I am happy I live in Taipei and so far my program has been really great.

But if you don’t have reasons to stay like this, I’d say look into a PhD abroad

1 Like

No I’m not, in fact I want to get the fuck out of taiwan and never return, but realities keeps me firmly planted in taiwan from financial to legal.

1 Like

Can’t help you with legal but there’s usually funding available for PhDs. Also in the us masters and PhD are usually part of the sane program unless you only want the masters which isn’t funded and really expensive

He needs an undergraduate degree first

1 Like

Oh. I missed that part.

But ok so Push through university in Taiwan at literally any accredited school. Then you can apply for a PhD. Don’t get sucked into the trap where you only choose what you think will lead to the most money though. That will just lead to misery

I actually have an undergraduate degree, but it’s in business. I’m not interested in business at all.

[deleted]

Personal connections, often through socializing or extrovertness, mean a lot more than schools. I went to LSE, Berkeley and UBC, but after a month landing in Taiwan was writing speeches for A-bian and the Foreign Minister at the time on certain topics. Applied for a position in government but some city counsellors (that I was tutoring on political speeches) put a good word in for me. Schools had nothing to do with it. Qualifications get you a tickbox—after that, it’s your people skills. Having a sense of humor (living up to the Canadian Strange Brew stereotype :laughing: :laughing:), a love of food, and a passion for adventure will get you far.

2 Likes

For learning the basics, thats calculus, reading blueprints and how to make them. Most of what you learn in college isn’t going to be used on the job, like nobody cares what the fundamental of calculus is as an engineer.

Schools can’t make you a good engineer if you haven’t got the aptitude.

Software like autocad and other cad software can be learned on the job. In school that’s one course.

They have higher incomes for but aren’t necessarily richer.

Often people with high incomes just drown themselves in debt and have no assets.

It depends on your definition of rich.

A. Earns $1,000,000 but has $1,000,000 in net debt (has lots of fancy stuff, fancy car, fancy house etc)

B. Earns $100,000 a year but has $1,000,000 in net assets (no fancy stuff)

I consider person B as rich and this the person I want to be. Person A would certainly look rich.

I have never claimed that degrees are a bad way to wealth. They just aren’t the only way nor are they the easiest. My only claim is that there is no ceiling on anyone’s earnings and that you don’t need to be a doctor or engineer to become wealthy.

Does a high income help? Obviously, yea. But being smart with your money and life choices is more important long term. IMHO (as well as the authors of many finance books I’ve read who are already wealthy)

Take 2 @Whatevah this petrol station attendant surely had more money at his death than his high school classmates who went on to become engineers and doctors. Anything is possible :slight_smile:

Read is only an example of right place, right time, plus discipline.

Lots of poor people have plenty of discipline. Otherwise they would be criminals.

1 Like