Life advice thread

I think you will find two things, Taiwan Luthiers does not have the funding for overseas studies and secondly was deported from the USA back to Taiwan. If you have been deported many other countries may not give you any type of visa.

I did some research on this.

EU doesnā€™t really care as long as you werenā€™t deported from the EU. People get deported from repressive countries all the time over stupid non criminal stuff.

Australia seems to be in the it depends category, meaning they can still give you a visa even if you donā€™t legally meet their character requirement. Not sure what they think about but Iā€™m unlikely to be a danger to anyone in Australia.

You need compelling reasons. Usually this involves caring for Australian citizen children or similar. Australia takes its border very seriously the ā€˜it dependsā€™ factor is because Australia is fair.
It would be very difficult for someone who has been deported to get a visa in Australia.

From my reading it doesnā€™t really matter what visa, but they do want you to be truthful. My situations are special. The compelling reason is for protection visa, which presumably is for asylum, and is the only visa available if you were denied on character grounds.

And not all countries are fair regarding deportation. Some countries you get deported for looking at the statue of their ruler the wrong way. Would Australia deny them admission as well? Also Australia has a spent convictions rule as well, meaning theyā€™re not to discriminate you for it, though they still want you to be truthful about it.

The US is actually extremely strict as far as immigration goes, and are probably the least fair.

Probably not but they would still need you to explain.

I donā€™t know the circumstances of your situation but I would assume simply overstaying a visa is not a good excuse.

I know an Australian citizen who was deported from Brazil 3 times but she planned for a deportation. She knew she was working illegally and took her chances. They let her back in the 2nd and 3rd time. :joy:

Thatā€™s what I mean, they still want you to be truthful.

Most western countries bar you permanently upon deportation. Taking you back is off the table, like the us. Ofviously many countries are not like this. I seen foreigners come back to taiwan after being deported for actual crimes.

My situation is special. I did not overstay visas of my own initiative, and Iā€™m unlikely to be a threat to Australian citizens. Iā€™m not a violent criminal. Iā€™m sure thereā€™s some room there.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

This wouldnā€™t fly with the Australian government

So even if you were brought in as a minor on a tourist visa they still donā€™t like that? That sounds very unfair. I know the us can act unfair and all that.

This isnā€™t ignorance of the law. This is being an unwitting accomplabce in someone elseā€™s criminal conduct.

I misunderstood what you meant by ā€˜not my own initiativeā€™.

I guess you would have to consult a lawyer. But getting a visa for Australia isnā€™t easy even for those without issues.

I spent about $15,000aud and waited 1.5 years for my husbands visa and ours was straightforward

Well firstly, you donā€™t even have any funds to visit Australia as a tourist which are grounds to be refused. Secondly you were deported as an adult yes? Does not matter your parents took to to USA as a minor. Could you get a special exemption having been deported, yes. But you would need to be interviewed.
You do not need to see any immigration lawyer for this.

Yea I understand that. Iā€™m not planning on immigrating to Australia. If I ever go there I would only go as a tourist. I hate spiders and thereā€™s lots of those there.

But I been to the EU and they have no issue with my immigration history.

You watch too much TV :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

1 Like

So where are you being persecuted in Taiwan? Protection visa is not a visa for those who simply donā€™t have a good life in their own country.

So if you are not interested in business then we can understand why your Luthier business is just at hobbiest level.

1 Like

Yeah but that was not the cost to Australian Gov to get a visa. You paid for a consultant. People used to pay me to do that here in 1980ā€™s 1990ā€™s. No longer need to anymore especially for partner cases.

Yeah. It was a poor decision in hinds sight but itā€™s done now. We did have a few reasons for getting a lawyer but looking back we could have (and mostly did) manage it ourselves

To bad you didnā€™t know me before as I was a licensed immigration consultant, could have given you free advice :slight_smile: A lot of people would ask my what my business was back in the 1980ā€™s 1990ā€™s. I would tell them I buy and sell people. They never got it or the reason why people would pay me to do their student visaā€™s or immigration cases.

1 Like

I get the distinct impression from you that Australia is zero tolerance for any immigration or criminal convictions anytime in the past. So you got a petty theft conviction 20 years ago, thatā€™s a deal breaker assuming you meet all other requirement? I know the US is like that but reading Australiaā€™s immigration official website doesnā€™t give me that impression. They give me the impression that their main concern is the safety of the citizens of Australia, and that letting you in isnā€™t going to put them in danger. The US only cares about law and order without regard to justice or social impact.

Based on my criminal history I am not a violent person. Unless Australia is a law and order land where even the smallest violation of the law makes you worthless in their eyes, I donā€™t see how me entering Australia would put Australians in danger.

Also I get the impression that Australia does care about evidence of reformation/rehabilitation, I know for a fact that the US does not (their high recidivism rate is evidence of that). ā€œSpentā€ conviction as a legal concept in Australia is an evidence of that. The UK has similar concept too (I mean AU being a former British colony). Only time itā€™s an absolute dealbreaker is if you got more than 30 months in prison (the EU has similar rules too).

Well, the fact that ā€œsmallest violationā€ doesnā€™t really describe what you got caught doing, right? :whistle:

2 Likes

I donā€™t mean to make that impression. I just mean if you have a criminal record you better be ready to fight for your visa.

They also really care about you sticking to the conditions if your visa. If you have a record of not obeying your visa conditions, that is a tough bridge to cross IMHO

1 Like