Life advice thread

Unless you can show me how my past conduct puts anyone in danger, please shut up about how earth shattering my conviction is.

Gun possession is not an earth shattering crime and even in the US they don’t prosecute them all that much… Actually it wouldn’t even be a crime if my status wasn’t so jumbled up.

It is in Australia. Not just guns. Any weapon. There was a court case to decide if a studded belt could be classified as a weapon or not.

Australians as a people, not just the government, do not tolerate the possession of any weapon. That is not who we are as a people, not just a country.

It doesn’t count. I’m really a DREAMer. Even the US has (under Obama) started to recognize that.

I’m sure Australia is even more fair as far as that goes.

It’s also 20 freaking years ago. Can they hold a grudge THAT long. I know the US can but it’s not like the US has ever been reasonable.

If I had lied to them about it, then I wouldn’t blame them if they reacted badly to it.

It is if you possessed guns illegally in Australia. That’s a very regional crime. Just like Taiwan can’t prosecute you for possessing guns in the US because you didn’t possess guns in Taiwan.

And gun possession is not a crime in the US.

I think you’ve just jumped on the pessimism wagon so I’m tapping out.

I’ve never said it is impossible, just that it won’t be as easy as someone without a conviction.

It has been implied you were convicted of a crime involving a gun though? Idk. But I don’t think you will get a visa in Australia if you are convicted of a crime involving any weapon, not just a gun.

I’ve no idea what’s going on in this thread anymore lol. Shouldn’t this be in the “I need a break from Taiwan” thread or one of the other trying-to-help-TL megathreads?

2 Likes

Probably

2 Likes

Eh, what’s another thread to add to the couple dozen?

3 Likes

I never implied that. People who have convictions where they spent less than 12 months in jail for a single offence can be granted a visa. Multiple offences not so much. Overstay in another country 15 years not so much. You said you finished your degree in the USA. How can you have not known you were an illegal resident when you did not have a green card or US citizenship?

1 Like

You know that I used to process immigration applications when I worked for Australian government? Earth shattering can be an multi year overstay with an additional illegal gun possession. It is not a minor matter with Australian immigration if you fail the character test.

1 Like

Because I was not told about my immigration status and I arrived when I was 8 years old, at an airport, with passports and visa. I never asked any question beyond that, and neither did anyone else. I had the false assumption that I was a legal resident the whole time.

DREAMers is not a thing in the Australia legal framework?

So even if it happened 20 years ago it’s still earth shattering to Australia? They really that zero tolerance?

Some countries have laws that you can be prosecuted for crimes committed abroad.

So Oh yeah they can. If it is considered a major crime. Singapore jail a couple who posted on FB when they were in Australia they smoked some weed. 1 year in prison

Nope, Taiwan will not prosecute weapons possession outside of Taiwan. I got the papers to prove it. This isn’t drug offense or fraud or any crimes involving moral turpitude.

Weapon laws are extremely regional. Some regions (hell, even regions within the USA) will allow certain weapons while another will ban anything that can be conceivably be used as a weapon, such as UK’s weapon law saying that if you carry even a pocket knife without a valid reason, it’s an offense. You can’t prosecute someone for weapon possession outside of the country because of that.

There’s regions where you can possess freaking hand grenades and RPG’s? Are they going to prosecute their citizens who goes there to shoot a few rounds of RPG?

There was a famous Taiwanese who went to the US to plan a mass shooting, and some prosecutor tried to prosecute him, and the case was dismissed by the judge summarily.

No. Australia does not have amnesty for overstayers either. But it used to grant permanent residence to people who legally spent half of their formative lives from 0 - 18 years old in Australia on temporary visa’s like children who accompanied parents on work visa to Australia. Not sure if that class of visa still exists.

Dude, you should stop. Non resident gun ownership is one thing; trying to sell them quite another, especially considering the time frame. You went to jail for that. It’s not a small thing and no one cares that you are harmless.

Now I don’t know everything about your case and you have been skirting the issue for years. Fess or shut up about it.

Right, your illegal stays. Plural.

I beg you to stop digging.

Fucking topic is Is college worthwhile? Yet here we are again talking about your woes. Read a book or something. :+1:

1 Like

Ignorance of the law is no excuse. You never had a green card in your possession. You never had a resident visa in your Taiwan passport. Not like you would not have seen you had a tourist visa in your passport?

How is this helping you with going to do tertiary education at 41? You claim you already have a degree from the USA.

1 Like

I never would have possessed guns in Australia had I grown up there, there was never a gun culture there like the US does. I think if I had been caught by immigration in Australia had I spent my entire childhood there not knowing my immigration status, they probably would have granted something.

The US does NOT care until Obama started recognizing DREAMers. In fact even if immigration wanted to help, the law does not allow them to.

Where did you read about me trying to sell guns? I never tried to sell any. I was never charged nor convicted of unlawfully selling them either.

Nor did I ever made any threat to anyone.

Quite frankly I don’t understand why you continue to vilify me. Am I really that FREAKING EVIL for possessing a FUCKING GUN???

Quite frankly immigration laws disgusts me. It’s legalized discrimination full stop, with no concessions for being minors.

Hey so, is a college degree worth it? You were looking to go back. How about addressing that.

I certainly do not wish to continue to talk about your criminal past or your perspective on the unfairness of it.

2 Likes

You’re living in dreamland. Australian deports non-citizen children born in Australia without legal status. But they will always be deported with family.

It doesn’t matter where you were convicted of a gun crime. If you were convicted of a gun crime, Australia does not take the possession of a weapon lightly. You probably won’t ge granted a visa because whether you like it or not the Australian government likely will see you as a threat to the safety of Australia. Whether you actually are not is a different story but that’s neither here nor there.

Exactly…. That’s the point. If it wasn’t, we wouldn’t have countries.

I don’t think anyone thinks you’re evil. Everybody is just a bit tired of the pity party. So life threw you some lemons, make some lemonade :slight_smile:

We’re getting so globalized, maybe the idea of countries should go the way of Dodo birds.

We need global trade like it or not and free movement of people with it, unless they want to keep fighting pointless wars forever.

Yup they may simply have deported you along with your parents.

1 Like