Is Gin A Healthy Drink

You people are soooo far behind, we have coffee gin and other sophisticated flavors.

Yeah, we probably are. Drinking lemon gin will do that to you.

We have pear gin, lemon gin, actually too many to name here.

blossoms gin

Actually the new gin craze has some surprising concoctions.

Iā€™ve switched to soda water to avoid the sugar. Drink the rest without gin?

1 Like

Iirc thereā€™s also sugar-free tonic water somewhere out there.

1 Like

Itā€™s not healthy when you have too many on a regular basis.

1 Like

I am not a big gin drinker, but I did pick up a two-pack of Hendrickā€™s Gin at Costco recently. The contents include two 350ml bottles of Hendrickā€™s Gin and four cans of Schweppeā€™s tonic water.

To my amazement, it turns out that I actually like Hendrickā€™s Gin. A lot. Mixed with the Schweppeā€™s in the box, itā€™s slightly sweet and actually tastes good imo. Throw in a few thin slices of cucumber and itā€™s a great cocktail. Not only does it taste good, but it seems the hangover the next day is much milder than Iā€™m used to. Surely thatā€™s healthier? :grinning:

Also, Schweppeā€™s tailors its tonic water offerings to the local market. The box offered by Costco includes the European version, which is less sweet than the American.

Schweppes Tonic Water is customized on a market-by-market basis. European versions are more likely to use less sugar or more quinineā€” Schweppes Tonic Water in the United States uses the ubiquitous soda sweetener High Fructose Corn Syrup and comes in at a rather steep 130 kcal per 12 oz. serving.

5 Likes

Weā€™ll make you English eventually. Cucumber in a gin and tonic was Arthur Loweā€™s preferred tipple. Although he preferred ginger ale to tonic water.

Iā€™m told the hipsters stick peppered mango into their drinks now. I need to take a lie down.

Good info

Sounds like Thailand snacks.

And makes it healthy!

I have friends that love Hendrickā€™s Gin better than any other

We oldsters did peppered strawberries a decade ago!

Almost a salad!

2 Likes

Itā€™s funny, but when I was (a lot) younger I remember a couple very hot summers drinking Tanqueray g&tā€™s in the States. I loved them.

One hot August day a dozen years or so ago, I decided to do it again. Maybe the tonic water had changed in the intervening years, but the new Tanqueray g&tā€™s were extremely bitter and medicinal. Undrinkable. I ended up giving the bottle away.

The next August, not having learned my lesson, I tried Bombay Sapphire ā€¦ with the same result, yuck. Gave that one away, too.

Havenā€™t touched gin since. The Hendrickā€™s, though, is an eye opener for me.

So I just picked up another two boxes at Costco an hour or so ago. Still a pallet of them on the floor, too, in Hsinchu.

Gin shouldnā€™t be bitter, ā€˜bittersā€™ are bitter!

Thatā€™s what I thought, too. I still wonder if it wasnā€™t down to bad tonic water, because the Hendrickā€™s is really good stuff and it has me doubting my former gin opinions.

Gin & tonic is good though I like cocktails in general. I had a lot of gin & tonic in England since it was cheaper than cocktails. At house parties it was always a good choice.