Is Gin A Healthy Drink

It can be. Until you wake up naked on a bench in the park. But not gin and tonic (sugar). Gin Fizz is low calorie nearly keto friendly.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/7-surprising-health-benefits-of-drinking-gin-2017-10

2 Likes

Is Vodka good for you?
Gin is Vodka flavoured with Juniper!

My morning workout tomorrow will be delayed until late afternoon so Iā€™m thinking what tonightā€™s poison will be (since a hangover will be less of an issue). Iā€™m very tempted with this gin fizz but Iā€™ll probably just go for scotch. Maybe another evening when Iā€™m feeling a bit more ambitious.

I want to drink gin more long drinks and cocktails. I know the basics and standards but I need to learn more about whatā€™s readily available that suits my preferences.

I have a heavy gin intake and Iā€™m almost 50. Proof that itā€™s healthy.

The Belgian original called ā€˜Jeneverā€™ is healthier, the Brits just copied it!

To avoid sugar, Iā€™ve switched from a gin and tonic to a gin and soda with a twist of lime.

I still shudder when I think about Collinā€™s Lemon Gin in Canada. (on the back label it says ā€œDo not drink straight, may cause temporary blindnessā€)

4 Likes

Oh god. I had not thought about that ā€¦ product ā€¦ (wonā€™t refer to it as a drink) in decades. Youā€™ve brought back memories - or rather, hazes of memories - long forgotten, and I really wish theyā€™d stayed forgotten.

Are you suffering from melancholy?

IDK if you are joking butā€¦ here are some fun facts:

1. Gintonic was used in India by the Brits as prophylaxis for Malaria. Why? because of the quinine in the tonic water. Problem with that wasā€¦ quinine can cause (temporary?) deafness. Maybe thereā€™s a correlation between current drinking trends and pop music after all.
  2. Distilled alcohol drinks can produce blindness if the ā€œheadā€ and the ā€œtailā€ of the batch is not disregarded during production. Why? because of methanol. Maybe thereā€™s a correlation between current drinking habits of cheap bastards and Forumosa moderation after all.

Not kidding. It actually said that on the bottle. We marched ahead anyway.

Isnā€™t gin called ā€œmotherā€™s ruinā€ because the way they made it in the olden days included chemicals that rendered one sterile?

Historically gin has a bad rap especially from times when all kinds of bad additives were included. Not so relevant today.

But there is this relevant today.

https://betches.com/gin-drinkers-more-likely-to-be-psychopaths/

I guess I am a psychopath because I like gin. I like vodka too, though. I prefer clear liquors in general.

Sugary cocktails just make me feel sick so I always get a gin and tonic. All my friends make fun of me for it because itā€™s not something people my age typically drink, but I stomach sour/bitter drinks much better.

Only because Iā€™m almost 50.

1 Like

Do you prefer a bitter taste for everything or just for alcoholic drinks?

Psychopath juice in large quantities

Donā€™t worry youā€™ll make it, I did. It ainā€™t nice the other side of 50 but getting there is the point.

Thatā€™s all well and good, but what do people do for the tonic side? I keep opening a can of tonic, using maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of it, and then throwing the rest away. Are there any smaller cans around?

(Yes, yes, I could drink more. But usually Iā€™m just having one strongish drink.)