Is it an abomination to make mango ice monster with honey instead of corn syrup?

Because corn syrup isn’t good for you.
http://www.pepper.ph/ice-monster-food-hack/

Never seen it sweetened with anything except condensed milk.
Definitely nowhere in Taiwan.

3 Likes

i thought that was called shaved ice or snow ice. isn’t ice monster the name of one of the shops?

1 Like

That’s what I thought. Never seen honey used in Taiwan. I suspect some places use HFCS in the toppings, but ordinary sugar is probably cheaper (certainly easier to source).

Bear in mind that website is based in the Philippines, which implies sugar overload on absolutely everything (Philippines ‘condensado’, incidentally, is made with corn oil, HFCS, milk powder and emulsifiers, whereas in countries with laws about fraudulent marketing it tends to be made mostly with milk).

1 Like

Ah so, excellent point.

Actually in Taiwan, if they were going to, they wouldn’t use corn syrup either, it would be that clear fructose they always use

I could be wrong, but I think what they call “fructose” here actually is HFCS. Perhaps HFCS-90. The manufacture of pure fructose would be too expensive to make it a useful commodity.

Sorry, everywhere I see, they call HFCS “maltose syrup”.
That clear fructose that comes in the squeeze bottle, I think it’s actually made from rice.

Since they stopped actually making sugar from the sugar cane lo 40 years ago or so.

1 Like

HFCS is usually a mix of fructose and glucose but I suppose you could theoretically produce maltose instead by the same process. I’m guessing the stuff they sell is actually a mixture of short maltodextrins.

That figures. All you need is a source of starch as the feedstock.

So is he going to make it taste nasty?

I don’t know, man, I’ve only ever had it here, and the condensed milk made it plenty sweet, I don’t know why one would want it any sweeter.
Allowing for, of course, as Dr. @finley cites, the fact that folks in the PIs do seem to like their shit overly sweetened.

1 Like

Which is high fructose corn syrup.

AKA honey, it’s fructose and sucrose (invert sugar)

OK, so Taiwan Sugar Company doesn’t make sugar anymore? And the same goes for other sugar companies in Taiwan?

Sugar is now made by Taiwan Cement. And TTL makes vaccines not tobacco.

It’s a new century thing

Interesting. Maltose is a different sugar (two glucose molecules joined together)

Wait… corn syrup is made from rice? The work is definitely ending soon.[quote=“Belgian_Pie, post:12, topic:176380”]
OK, so Taiwan Sugar Company doesn’t make sugar anymore? And the same goes for other sugar companies in Taiwan?
[/quote]

It’s made from beets, too.

But whatever. Don’t want to think about mango shave ice without condensed milk. I’ve only had it once, but THAT is why I’m moving back to Taiwan.

And now I realize I’m replying to the 2-year-old thread.

1 Like

Speaking of sweet deserts from the Philippines…
Haluhalo or HaloHalo
Their take on the shaved ice thing.
It’s damn good. Sweet as can be, but oh so good!

It’s usually topped off with Frosted Flakes cereal.

3 Likes

Enjoy the new thing, shaved ice with meat sauce!

You just reminded me I haven’t had one of those for ages.

Although there are some constant ingredients, most restaurants actually have their own unique recipes. I’m disappointed if it doesn’t include the ube halaya.

1 Like

High fructose corn syrup is an abomination.

1 Like

Could you confirm a sighting? I saw a meat floss version at a place in Yilan.