Is it discrimination to only hire teachers from "certain native speaking" countries?

Once Taiwanese get over their racism and figure out that Filipinos speak English, the buxiban bros are fucked. Drunk New Zealanders will be out of work.

It’d be funny if teachers actually organize and create a union. First thing would be to make sure only the anglosphere is allowed to teach.

No, it says “nationality” clearly.

1 Like

Yes, but that is referring to me discriminating specifically because you are “XXX nationality” or specifically because you are “XXX color”

This is a problem in Taiwan laws. @Marco you can ask your lawyer to back me up on this one.

I’m not agreeing with this. I am just stating the facts.

Sorry, I’m not following that.

In my experience asking for clarification from relevant agencies on this will get a response to report particulars to the police when it occurs. I’d certainly be interested in reading anything related.

2 Likes

It doesn’t seem that way to me. I’m listening for anything more concrete though.

2 Likes

I know this is very nuanced and police or other agencies will recommend complaining. However, the complaint will very easily be knocked back unless it is very specific discrimination.

You are more than welcome to give @Marco’s lawyer (or any in Taiwan) a quick phone call and confirm what I am saying. Marco’s lawyer stated something similar and explained the same on a complaint I had prior with a car sharing agency that was knocked back. (When I wasn’t a Taiwanese)

I don’t see the need to. If there’s something surely someone will post it here? As far as I’m concerned, we ask people posting job ads here not to do this on the basis of the Immigration Act (which is explicitly worded) and I haven’t seen anything to change that :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Yep. Surprised they didn’t include Zimbabwe lol

One difference that occurs to me, presuming that @Mataiou is working on something banking related. The Taiwan government in its infinite wisdom has spelled out by law which nationals are entitled to work as language teachers. I presume there’s nothing similar in a banking situation, for example.

1 Like

I’m wondering if the above employer could get away with this if they advertised themselves as a school that “only teaches xyz accents”?

Obviously, given the countries listed, they couldn’t make that claim (you have every major variety of “white people English” listed + South Africa, which gets lumped in despite most SA’s I know being Afrikaans speakers as their first language), but if “that’s a necessary qualification for the job” and they can prove it, discrimination becomes disturbingly permissible even in the US where this stuff is taken much more seriously.

I saw a job (remote Chinese teaching) at the height of the pandemic at a private boys Christian high school in the US with a very nice salary. “Applicants must accept Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior and blablabla preach yadaya” + various intense questions about favorite bible quotes and meaning and stuff on the first page of the application lead me to wonder if any of that was allowed. Morrison Academy asks the same questions for their applicants (sounds like they’re even more wildly weeding out non-Bible thumpers actually). In both Taiwan and the US, it is perfectly legal to discriminate based on religion if the position requires teachers to be of that religion in order to perform the duties of the job or whatever. Wild. I would imagine that you could open a language school that only teachers RP and therefore “we didn’t hire that other race/nationality person because we don’t teach that accent.”

What? Filipinos have been teaching in cram schools for years. And, since at least 2021 or whenever the FET program became TFETP, they’ve been allowed to teach in the public schools too. Which is dumb because many of them are genuinely NOT native English speakers.

Also, “oh sorry, we already finished our hiring” can be told to anyone not from those countries. Can you prove that we discriminated against you for your skin color/national origin?

Would a former citizen (ie - one who had acquired ROC Citizenship and in the process renounced their former citizenship) be ineligible to apply?

for banking, as far as banking legislation, regulations, instructions and directives are concerned, there is no real difference between citizens, NWHOR and foreigners regarding the provision of financial services. Only differences are in the documents to be provided and deemed acceptable for identification, that’s it.

However, the practice is very different from the law, hence my attempt in getting banks and regulators in line.

1 Like

I don’t think this list has anything to do with wealth. It’s more to do with how well they speak English.

1 Like

All native speakers speak English well. Having accent =/= not being able to speak it well.

Huh? I don’t say anything about accents.

They listed those countries because the overwhelming majority of people from those countries are native English speakers.

English is the native language for people from many countries in the Caribbean and Africa.

I can’t think of a country where the overwhelming majority of the population speak it as a native language, other than the ones provided in the list.

1 Like

Looks like they speak less English in South Africa than I imagined.

It has been on the decrease for many years

1 Like