Is it legal to put CCTV in front of my room to collect evidence about slamming door loudly at night?

I just moved to New Taipei City which is I thought it will be cheaper and convenient. But lately I thought my wanted room (cement brick wall, window) at affordable price for students, comes with another unfavorable thing: neighbors issues.

Over 5 years, I have dealt with neighbors that not live inside the shared house. My issues came with frequently with neighbors that “slamming the door too loud at night.”. At some point, I understand that it’s hard to get a help if you don’t have a proof. So I bought a CCTV (the cheapest one from Xiaomi), to collect evidence. At my first time when I bought it, it due to neighbor that punching and kicking the door at night (on shared board wall), but when I ask him, he said not doing anything (even at that time I already called police, but later I realized if you don’t have any proof, police cannot do anything, even they already come for your aid, and the other thing is, if you not report immediately, it’s kinda challenging for them). But I moved from there, my first place, after quite some 3 years, for safety reason.

Fast forward to recently, I made a mistake that, even the room is the one I wanted, I didn’t do in-house neighbor background check. Sometimes he cooked at 2am. Whenever he goes in and out, door slammed loudly even though I already politely asking (and even put a sign on my door “please close the door slowly. thank you) in Chinese, but it’s like he doesn’t care. I also tried to talk in person, but he then just slammed the door when I was still standing there and waiting for his responses. Until last night, around 2am, just when I get back from part-time work and usually take shower, his door slammed so loudly (like intentionally). There I felt like threatened (but again, I have no evidence).

Looking for slamming door related noises solution (rather than just moving that for me personally currently quite costly), then I found this:
(https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/east-asia/taiwan-couple-hacked-to-death-by-neighbour-over-alleged-noise-dispute)

I understand living in the old building, although it has cemented brick walls, the soundproof might not work well as it’s the new one. I already told the landlord that I have no issues with whoever use the shower at whatever time (it just the door needs to be not slammed, only all I asked). But seems the other tenant don’t like if the situation happened to be me to use the bathroom (which my landlord said it shouldn’t be an issue too). I wonder if there’s unresolved unseen conflicts that may lead to that article that I just read.

I tried to talk to my landlord about this (couple times), but if he doesn’t has the evidence he cannot moving forward or told the other tenant. I ask to my landlord that can I put the CCTV or not, and he said I can.

But the current thing in my mind is, is it legal to put CCTV in front of my room for safety reason?

I saw some forums that if we put CCTV pointed out in front of other room, it’s considered illegal (please correct me if I’m wrong). I have another CCTV pointed out on my window from crossed home (not my CCTV, my crossed neighbors), but I haven’t dealt with it yet (so I just covered my window all the times).

Recently I just placed my CCTV inside of my room, pointed at my door. I just wondering is it legal to put the CCTV in front of my room door, to collect evidence of my suspicious roommate. I just don’t want my intention to protect myself, will be reversed to pointing back at me, because to put the CCTV in front of my room, turns out, to be illegal.

Apologies if it’s uncomfortable for some.

Thank you

1 Like

Is it a shared apartment where everyone has their own room? Or you want to monitor the hallway that leads to the entrance of your apartment?

Not a legal advice, just what I observed. Video monitoring is extremely widely used in Taiwan. It is quite hard to enforce privacy rights.

But you should consider that the neighbor might become more obnoxious if they get annoyed by the camera.

Yes, everyone has their own room.

I just want to tell my landlord about my neighbor uncommon behavior (it just me, him, and the landlord who live in the house), especially during 11 pm - 5 am, for slamming door quite hard and loud, but I lack of proof rather than I witnessed it myself. Even though I live closed to a police office, again, I’m afraid without evidence, I can’t do anything. Plus, knowing it’s intentionally or not, It’s a gray for me and hard to determine.

So I also have a concern if somehow, if it’s only me and him in the house (really don’t want on that article happened to me :rofl:).

Or should I just turned on the camera on that hours, to respect the owner house privacy?

So I just wonder if’s legal or not. And if it’s legal, is where I pointed out, will also become a concern? I read in some forums it’s considered illegal if the camera pointed out to our neighbor door.

It’s part of the culture. I’ve resigned to it. They do it in schools from a very young age. Maybe it scares the ghosts away - all that noise. :joy:

Seriously, it could be some passive-aggressive behavior or his life is miserable and he wants to “share” it with you.

Honestly, I would just move out. Don’t get too caught up with this drama here - Buying cameras and crap. Cut your losses. Just my two NT dollars.

2 Likes

How is the door? You could buy door sealant foams and one the the big foams for the botton, this will make the door really hard to slam. Or check cheap auto door closer that prevent slam.
Edit: is his door or the main door ? :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Did you at any point tried to talk to your neighbor directly? Might save you a lot of time and energy with escalation, etc.

Read the post?

Haha if that’s the reason understandable. It just the other behaviors that I’m quite concerned, especially above midnight. Just for precaution.

Because it’s considered cheap, it’s not wood door. It’s kinda plastic I guess, so there’s no way that slammed sound (or bathroom sounds) wouldn’t be heard :rofl:. I already installed the air tight and the sealing foams too, but it’s not that effective :rofl:

I already get used to with the front door. It just because it’s an old building, so the noise heard so loud. The door that’s just across me and the bathroom door. That’s all.

And even though I already many times politely requested to close the door slowly, it’s seems no use :rofl:

I can stand even the sound of excavation and tunnel reparations in the morning to eve. But the noise above midnight, it’s a different story in this kind of building :rofl:

No I love Taiwanese seriously. They’re very kind in many sectors.

But I must admit, empirically, I can’t generalized that kindness. Especially if you’re like in a shared apartment that both shared, maybe, post-work stress.

I understand work in here is very hard. But post-work and you live just next to them, with not good soundproofing, it just a terrible experience. And that’s at my third place before here. That’s also where I first experienced, that even you clearly know who like to kick your door, or do any other suspicious things, and there’s no proof, you can’t do anything about it, without evidence. Even Noise Control Act warning won’t work on them :rofl:

It’s just really challenged if you’re the only foreigner there, and yes, around 6k is really not a good option. Or maybe it’s just my bad times and my bad luck :rofl:

Perhaps it’s one of the things under the tip of the iceberg I experienced. Just like the article here:
https://www.taipeitimes.com/News/editorials/archives/2023/02/12/2003794192

1 Like

I did politely, many times. At that time, I have zero suspicion. Not at bed time too. My landlord even mediated couples times, but still, nothing changes.

So somehow I need to protect myself for what’s worst.

Update:

I already installed my CCTV, but pointed downward, not facing in front of my roommate door. Hopefully it’s legal.

That’s the best I can do right now for safety concern, that of course, meet my currently financial ability.

A little peace of mind, for now…

Thanks for giving me advice, forum :pray:

did you get a concent from your roommates, or, if the shared space is managed by a landlord, concent from the landlord? it may not be ownership in your case, but it may be similar.

Article 820 of civil code says
Unless otherwise provided by a covenant, the management of the thing held in indivision, the consent of more than half of the Co-owners whose holding of ownership is more than half of the total share shall be required. But if the holding of ownership is more than two thirds, the numbers of consenting co-owners need not be taken into account.

you may need to set the cctv footage can be seen just by the landlord, or by every tenant. you can check it always, but the other tenant cannot may be unfair.

You previously said you are living in a shared apartment unit with three rooms, right? The three of you share the living room, kitchen, and bathroom?

So that means you can do whatever you want as long as your roommate who is the owner of the apartment doesn’t have any issues with it.

But what if your other roommate wants to be able to walk through the hallway to the bathroom in his underwear?

Thank you for bringing up this.

Is there any specific format for the consent, and should in be written in a paper and signed by 2/3 of the tenants including the landlord ?

I just knew about this civil code. If there’s anymore information about living in a shared apartment, in English, would like to know, and would be very appreciated.

So far only by chat 2/3 of the tenants (the landlord included) agree with it.

Regarding the footage, I will talk to my landlord regarding to this. Since my issue is starting from making noise above midnight (I’m not sure about the rules, but if it’s basketball, when at school, I remember we are not allowed to play from 11 pm - 5 am due to could cause noise issue that could impacted other neighborhood around), I might only turned on above midnight.

But since this issue was bringing up, I’m actually have other neighbor, that the apartment just crossed from my building, pointed out their cctv towards my window / road. I wonder if this is an issue or not, since now I always close my curtain window for privacy issue (only when I watering my plants I opened it).

The apartment belongs to the landlord. He can put cameras wherever he wants as long as there is reasonable privacy. If someone doesn’t like the camera, they don’t have to live there.

He is not your neighbor. He is your roommate. You live in the same home. There are no laws governing where you can point your camera in your own home, as long as you’re not spying on someone with a hidden camera or something.

I wonder regarding this also.

It may not directly related, but since the issue that I addressed is noise from slamming door from the other roommate at nighttime but the landlord need the evidence to proof it, then I asked my landlord permission and the landlord agreed with it, with position of the camera not pointed at the other roommate room, as per landlord requested too, I might only turned on at nighttime, and will talk to the landlord about the footage I received.

Nighttime referred as mentioned here:(Amendment to Noise Control Standards - Article Content - Laws & Regulations Database of The Republic of China (Taiwan))

not true. It is like saying you live in the same home, so you can go in freely any rooms in your own home.

The landlord’s installation of a monitor in a public space to record public space without the tenant’s consent should not constitute the crime of obstructing secrecy under the criminal law or a civil tort; however, the landlord installed a separate monitor specifically aimed at the tenant’s door. The act of filming may result in the above-mentioned civil or even criminal liability because it may capture the non-public activities of the tenant in the room, as well as the daily routine of entering and leaving the room during the period.

It would not. They are all roommates living in the same home, including the landlord. If the landlord is sitting in the living room, he would still know the daily routine of everyone entering and leaving their rooms.

You see things and you record them are different.