Is it my time to change career?

I’m currently working in electronic components industry, but I can’t say this makes me excited to wake up every morning.
I mean, work is okay and colleagues are fine, but I can’t see any impact of what I’m doing in the society. Sure, we sell a component, that goes into a product, that is part of a system, that can generate impact, but it’s just too far down the line.

With the birth my children, I started thinking that I don’t want to go by this life without leaving a legacy. Not a financial one, but one of good values. I want them to know that one person can make a difference, and I want to show it to them by being an example.

This brought me back into thinking about my work, and what I do during daytime. I can’t help but think that there’s not much impact on what I am doing. So, I’ve thought about a career change and tried to see what gets me excited in terms of work.

I found out that it’s about helping people.

Well, I still have mouths to feed, hence I need to find ways to help others while still having an income. So, I thought that there are basically three paths that I can take:

• starting my own business;
  • becoming a teacher/professor;
  • getting involved in a startup environment either through a business incubator, a venture capital company or accelerators.

From these three careers, I am more interested in the startup environment and in helping people to grow their business, but I don’t even know where to start looking for info about this industry in Taiwan.
Starting a business could be an option, and I do think I have some of the skills required for that. I just haven’t found what kind of business it could be.
Becoming a teacher is also okay. I’ve taught high schools students back in my home country for a couple of years and, although it takes a lot of your energy, it’s a job that I find quite rewarding. Seeing your students growth and their reaction when they finally get a concept is great. However, I’m not a native English speaker nor I have a teaching degree, so I don’t think there are not many opportunities for me in Taiwan.

And that’s where I am now.

So I came to ask my fellow Forumoseans for input.
Does any of you know the startup environment in Taiwan? Any connections with incubators, VCs or accelerators?
How about the teaching industry? Is it really mainly for English teachers and academic professors?

Any comment/suggestion is welcome, and can help me to better discern on my plans for the future.
:bowing:

11 Likes

No specific advice, but I like where your head is at. With your positive attitude, I’m sure you’ll figure out a career path that your kids will be proud of. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

You say electronics components industry. Are you an engineer? Do you have a degree?

That alone shows that you are quite the father to your children. :+1:

7 Likes

Yes. I graduated as engineer and did my masters in Taiwan.
However, most of my jobs were more aligned with management (I even took some extra MBA classes during my EE masters) and I currently hold a section chief project manager position.

Only a lucky few are able to find a job that they 1) enjoy, 2) are qualified for/good at, and 3) find personally rewarding on the level that you desire.

I personally think it’s in the best interests of your children’s future that you hold on to the financial stability afforded to you by your current job and seek out personal satisfaction and ways to set a positive example for your children outside of the workplace.

Have you considered volunteering or organizing service-based events and programs within your community?

6 Likes

Harsh but true… :open_mouth:

Yes, I had. But that would take away the time I have with my kids too.
I’m trying to enjoy while they are still small, as I know in a few years I’ll be the last person they’ll want to see near. Unless they need money, then I’ll climb right at the first place!

I know. It’s difficult, but not impossible. :wink:
All three paths I’ve listed can somehow attend to my expectation (I think).

1 Like

It’s not really harsh. Just realistic. You work to eat, and you feed your soul off the clock. It makes good sense.

My father wanted to be a teacher but didn’t want to try to support a family on a teacher’s salary. So he took a secure, well-paid fed job and taught classes for the local community college for a while to satisfy his desire to “be the one to change someone’s life,” the one that so many teachers cite when they talk about why they became a teacher.

Do it with them.

How are you at learning new skills, or re-learning lost ones? As an engineer, you have training that could be in good demand in Taiwan, in regard to teaching young kids about technology. If you know C and basic electronics, for example, you could teach kids how to do fun projects, while also honing some engineering skills. Or if you don’t want to deep dive into C, try Python (code) and Arduino (a nice series of boards to build micro-based electronics projects). I ran into a guy doing this sort of teaching. I think he was having good success.

https://www.skyrockprojects.com/eng

2 Likes

Good idea! But I’ll probably wait to when they are a bit older so they can also take part in these activities.

Of course. In the pre-memory years you can just focus on changing diapers and saving up their college funds.

Wow, that looks great!
I’ll definitely check it out!

Note: Arduino has its’ own high-level code that I think is easy to learn. I’m using C and STM32 nucleo boards, so not much experience with Arduino, but I think it’s a good place for beginners and kids to start learning tech.

1 Like

In fact, I already did something similar with TAS kids during my masters.
They’d go to my University and we’d teach them some basic concepts of AI and robotics. It was only for a few months, but it was quite interesting.

1 Like

AGREE reality and dream, ALWAYS HARSH

One of us… One of us… One of us… :laughing:

I didn’t know you’re not a native speaker. Teaching can be very rewarding on a personal level, especially if you develop a bond with your students. Salary wise, it’s awful. But I’m sure you already know this. It depends on what you’re looking for. I’m much happier in life than some of my friends back home in banking or the tech industry who make 4 or 5 times as much as me, but find their job soulless and depressing. On a social level, I enjoy getting into the classroom and interacting with students, but the pay is a huge issue, I can’t lie. And that especially is true in Taiwan.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s one thing I’m looking for, BALANCE.
It doesn’t feel that getting home late, spending so little time with the kids and not feeling satisfied at work is worthy to do in exchange for a good salary.
Money can only do so much, and certainly can’t buy the best moments/experiences.

1 Like