Is it possible to drive to Cijin island (Kaohsiung)?

I know of the ferry, but I google maps’d it and found this bridge/tunnel near the airport:

However google says there may be tolls. Is it driveable?

Theres a ferry that takes scooters.

Edit: From Gushan Pier Ferry Station 鼓山輪渡站

Yes you can drive in to a certain point.

See the bit where he writes “I know of the ferry”?

What do you mean by this? Like the road from the bridge doesn’t connect to the rest of the island?

yes, but I don’t have details. some years ago I was with someone in a car and we drove there. I’m from Taipei and have been to KH like 3 times in my life. but we drove out there to get some seafood. IIRC, there was a tunnel.

I drove to Qijin once. Twas a while back, so I don’t know if the rules have changed. You could even ride a motorcycle through the tunnel. I don’t recall tolls.

No it connects all right. But if you’re there on the weekend it gets problematic to drive all the way in.

It’s already been answered; yes you can drive in but it takes you to the other side of the island, not where the action is and that is where the ferry is.

If you do decide to take the tunnel, DRIVE SLOW. There is a hidden speed camera on the ceiling of that tunnel for cars and scooters. Found out the hard way 5 years ago.

2 Likes

Yes, on weekdays you can drive all around and right down to the pier and around small streets.

Weekends area is more blocked off but there are parking lots at the west end of the main shopping street Qi Jin Old Street
https://goo.gl/maps/843PTz1S92YfmX1e8

Across street from parking lot is Cijin Sunset Bar 旗津沙灘吧
No. 1050, Qijin 3rd Road, Qijin District
https://goo.gl/maps/o5s1aUSXc55Et7Jy7

Tolls, if any, are collected electronically and no need to stop or extra process.

Blocked off as in too much traffic? So perhaps better to go with a scooter to whiz in between it?

Or is there perhaps nothing to do in the south, and therefore better to just go there by foot since the north seems pretty walkable?

some videos of people driving car or riding scooter to Cijin Island ,
the Tunnel name is “Cross Harbor Tunnel” 高雄市過港隧道 , also the speed limit is 60 km/h

other sources:

1 Like

Shopping street is blocked to traffic at times same as any shopping street and the streets nearby are small so they limit people driving cars too close. Scooter can get much closer.

1 Like

Went to 旗津 this summer. Rented electric schooter right in front of 西子灣 station (NT200 or so), then took a ferry. It was fun. Electric schooter doesn’t require drivers license.

You can drive the whole island, except the Southern portion south of the tunnel which is bonded customs zone (for international shipping). There is no toll as far as I know.

Thanks everyone, this is very clear now

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.