Is it possible to renegotiate a divorce agreement in Taiwan?

When I got divorced in 2018, I negotiated an agreement with my Taiwanese ex-wife. At the time I was making much more money than I am now. I agreed at that time to pay a substantial amount of monthly child support for our 2 children. I’ve never missed a single payment. Now, I make much less money than before and cannot afford the amount agreed upon in the contract, She makes much more than I do anyway. Do I have to pay the amount agreed upon in the contract until the kids turn 18, or is it possible to have it reduced to a more affordable amount? I’m not a deadbeat dad. I want to pay. I just want to know how to reduce it to a more affordable amount.

1 Like

fyi

Article 1121 of Civil Code
Either party may demand an alteration in the extent and the manner of furnishing maintenance on the ground of change of circumstances.

Article 102 of Family Act
Where terms and conditions in a binding judgment or a settlement regarding payment for expenses provided in Article 99 have yet to be realized, and are manifestly unfair due to a fundamental change of circumstances, the court may, upon motion by the applicant or the opposing party, modify the said terms and conditions in the binding judgment or the settlement.
Prior to entering a judgment in accordance with the preceding paragraph, the court shall grant an opportunity to be heard to a relevant party.

7 Likes