Is it right or wrong to judge a person based on their photo?

wheres the pic???

[quote=“Mother Theresa”] I guess in your world, anonymous online crackpots like that just need a nice hug and a bit of understanding, eh? :unamused:[/quote]There’s irony in there somewhere. Have you met him? How do YOU know he’s a crackpot? :no-no:

No irony. That’s my point exactly. We have no more evidence that she’s a filthy, skanky slut than we do that he’s a lying, meth-head, child molester. Maybe she is, maybe he is. Who knows? Does anyone here actually know the girl? Does anyone here actually know the OP? There’s been no indication of that. It’s all just a bunch of pixels in cyberspace from an anonymous source about whom we know nothing, yet some people are willing to engage in hard-core character assasination based on his/her comments. Hmmmmm. :ponder:

OK, social experiment time. :smiley:
Based on the picture below…

First thoughts please.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”][quote=“sandman”]MT, you’re not even addressing the issue any more. Here’s a woman wantonly committing criminal acts and exposing unwitting partners to a rather nasty affliction.
I guess in your world, crack dealers and suchlike simply need a nice hug and a bit of understanding, eh? :unamused:[/quote]

How the fuck do you know that? Do you know this woman? Have you ever met her? Have you ever discussed the situation with her? Did you ever ask her if she has HIV or is hte OP actually the one with HIV? Do you know that she even exists? Do you know who is the anonymous OP making the statements about her? Do you know that he’s not a convicted pedophile, delusional, psychotic, compulsive liar. . . from Canada? Are you willing to stake your reputation and refer to someone, even if we don’t know if that person actually exists, based on the some anonymous online gossip spread by someone you’ve never even met? I guess in your world, anonymous online crackpots like that just need a nice hug and a bit of understanding, eh? :unamused:[/quote]
Well, MT, if you want to start a whole new debate on that issue, go ahead. This isn’t that one, though. This is one about a woman who allows men to fuck her without a condom despite knowing that she’s infected with HIV.
I don’t know either of the protagonists in this tale, nor do I care to. I take what I read and respond to it in the spirit in which its offered. Maybe she really IS Ms Sylvia Huang and is a 35 virgin who has never so much as cocked her snook at a man. That’s not what this story is about. THIS story is about someone infected with HIV, who knows it, and who is allowing men to fuck her without a condom and without telling them about her condition beforehand.

After all this, though, and all your OBFUSCIASTINGNESS! I’d still like to hear what YOU would like to see done to a person who shags other people without protection, knowing that they’re infected. That’s the issue here. Not whether the OP is lying or not.
Of COURSE he might be. That’s not the point.

Face it, you’ve had your underwear pulled down around your knees, several people have gathered round and have attached turkey feathers and little blue LEDs to your foreskin, so you’re trying to change the subject.

[quote=“s33k3r”]OK, social experiment time. :smiley:

First thoughts please.[/quote]
Adobe.

A couple of solid lads who are well aware of the fact that people think they are ugly, and so have had to develop a strong character to prove to everybody they are really nice guys.

Proper salt of the Earth.

[quote=“Funk500”]I get judged on my photos all the time, with people fearing I’m some kind of ice cold Russian serial killer, who’d kill you as soon as look at you. In reality though, I am the people’s champion and Manchester’s sweetheart

and top notch assassin
[/quote]
I thought you were a movie star…a gun toting one :laughing:

There we go! Now doesn’t that me you feel all warm and fussy inside?
Anyone else would like to pull up a conclusion about the two lads in the picture?

MUM! DAD! Its been too long! Please get in touch.

[quote=“sandman”][quote=“s33k3r”]OK, social experiment time. :smiley:

MUM! DAD! Its been too long! Please get in touch.[/quote]

No, sandman, no. You’re getting distracted. Focus…

[quote=“s33k3r”][quote=“sandman”][quote=“s33k3r”]OK, social experiment time. :smiley:

No, sandman, no. You’re getting distracted. Focus…[/quote]
Are you dissing my parents? I’ll hunt you down in the bayou and skewer you with my alligator spear! But not before I’ve subjected you to ritual humiliation with homosexual overtones.

[quote=“sandman”][quote=“s33k3r”][quote=“sandman”][quote=“s33k3r”]OK, social experiment time. :smiley:

No, sandman, no. You’re getting distracted. Focus…[/quote]
Are you dissing my parents? I’ll hunt you down in the bayou and skewer you with my alligator spear! But not before I’ve subjected you to ritual humiliation with homosexual overtones.[/quote]

Sounds fun. :popcorn: Can I bring a friend? :pray:
Wait, now I’m getting distracted,…ohhhh you’re good.
No, sandman, No…F.O.C.U.S! :bow:

twins who need a bath, maybe a hair cut for the one on the right.

No irony. That’s my point exactly. We have no more evidence that she’s a filthy, skanky slut than we do that he’s a lying, meth-head, child molester. Maybe she is, maybe he is. [/quote]We do not need evidence to say that a girl who sleeps around while HIV+ is a bad person. The choices of derogatory terms to describe such a person are abundant.

This is not a trial. We do not need evidence to discuss a specific behavior of an unnamed person who may or may not even exist at all! Did the person really do these things? Is the OP lying? Who knows, right? I really don’t think that’s hard to understand for anyone. Your point is well understood, but it’s irrelevant.

[quote=“s33k3r”]Lately I’ve been observing how easy it has become for some people to develop a sort of god complex by looking at other human beings in plain disrespect. For example, if someone is born with four legs, is it right to make fun of him? I would say no.
How can one judge a person by simply looking at that person and then decide whether that person is good or bad? That’s just not possible.

My question this morning is:
Is it right or wrong to judge another person based on their photo?[/quote]

well if you had nothing else to go on at all then physical appearance would have to play some role in making a judgement. In your example of a four legged man I might make the judgement that challenging him to a 100 metter race may not be such a good idea. However he may not know how to co-ordinate his four legs well but regardless I would not like to take the chance. Or if I saw someone’s picture who looked like this

I may presume he is a pretty good athlete of course I many be wrong and he is in fact a physical wimp.

Western English teachers in Thailand who are not good enough to get into Taiwan?

Werent they the two half german brothers who lived in caves all their lives and then their grandma died and left them a BILLION DOLLARS??

“Lookism” is the practice of discriminating against certain people because of their physical appearance, whether changeable (e.g. hairstyle, piercings) or unchangeable (race, prettiness / ugliness).

For example, application forms in Taiwan generally ask for a photo. Why would they want such a thing? Presumably in order to help form a judgement about the applicant, although in many cases the requirement might have been included without any real thought behind it.

Interesting questions arise over whether any of this is ethical. For example, is it okay to only hire beautiful people to be news anchors? How about waiters and waitresses? (Should Hooters be held to different standards than McDonalds?) How “negotiable” are religious attire such as turbans or dreadlocks? Other lifestyle markers…? (A suit could be considered such.) Fatness or thinness…? And what about tattoos? (Would it matter if a particularly horrible face-tattoo were applied voluntarily or involuntarily? See ugliesttattoos.com for examples) Some of the Disney parks have banned male employees from sporting facial hair.

We are all free spirits trapped within human bodies. Some of us drive better bodies :slight_smile: