Is Japan the Perfect Nation?

Continuing the discussion from UBike - New Rules for Foreigners?:

A video about Immigrants, their effects to their new country by Rare Earth and Evan Hadfield, son of Astronaut, Chris Hadfield.

Taiwan cameo in video.

3 Likes

Japan’s got ugly, stained buildings too, huh?

2 Likes

Oh man if 80s looking tile ugly buildings are your thing Tokyo is your happy place. Especially in the burbs

That’s totally my thing!

Why does Taiwan get all the credit?

This Part of Japan, looks like Naha which is 1.5 hour flight from KHH and less from Taoyuan Airport. Taiwan is closer than Tokyo to Naha

Well, to be fair, it is some of Naha, and a lot of the poor rural areas of Okinawa, including the smaller islands around.

don’t forget that Okinawa is far and away the poorest prefecture in Japan. But many other parts of rural Japan have abandoned buildings and decaying suburbs, as a result of population decline coupled with young people moving to the big cities (chiefly Tokyo and Osaka).

Okinawa is actually the only prefecture in Japan where population is naturally rising (i.e., by new births, rather than by internal migration). Well, Okinawa also has a high rate of immigration as well, but it’s still poor. Main industries are tourism, farming, and fishing.

A detailed report from Newsweek reviews this familiar topic to see how Japan is doing:

Japan's Shrinking Population Faces Point of No Return.

Guy

Japan is mired in debt, rapidly aging, and suffering a severe labor shortage – which is why I think it’s unlikely Japan will be willing or able to go to war with China over Taiwan when the time comes.

A risk assessment in March by the Recruit Works Institute predicted the country’s labor shortfall would exceed 11 million workers by 2040. By the end of this decade, however, Japan first would face a logistics crisis that could leave over a third of freight undelivered due to new overtime regulations beginning next year, according to a January study by the Nomura Research Institute.

“The economic impact could be quite severe. The primary concern is a shrinking tax base that otherwise contributes to the running of government services. It raises questions about the kinds of decisions that need to be made on administrative costs,” Murphy said.

The PRC is also mired in debt and rapidly ageing. I wouldn’t venture to say those factors will affect their possible military adventures—and ditto with Japan in a defensive response.

Guy