Is Learning Chinese Worth it?

I often chat with my friends about the importance of learning Chinese. They disagree because they are caught up in their Western frame of mind. :wink:

I have been learning Mandarin now for 5 years and have reached a comfortable level. I use a combination of tools online, like Skype, NCIKU and http://www.chineslearnonline.com

They are all very helpful and I feel like I’m making progress.

Do you feel that learning Chinese is worth it? :ponder:

I am a ‘westerner’ who has learned Chinese on and off for about a decade, now.

It depends what you mean by ‘worth it’. It’s been invaluable for speaking with Chinese speakers and reading Chinese books and websites. Apart from that, it’s been a huge waste of time. :wink:

People who are crap at languages think I’m ‘clever’, and I’m sure it helps in job interviews, even though Chinese language skills are irrelevant in my work.

Learning it is really pretty damned important if you want to speak, read or write it, that’s for SURE! :laughing:
Or do you mean is being able to speak, read and write some Chinese worth it?
“It depends” is the obvious answer. For someone planning to work in an all-Chinese-speaking company or attend an all-Chinese-speaking school? Definitely.
For a ski-tow operator in Scotland? A bit less so, probably.
For the satisfaction of achieving something? Its as “worth it” as any other time-consuming hobby, I suppose.

Whether it’s worth it or not depends on who you are, where you live, what’s your occupation, what are your interests, abilities, existing committments, etc.

It’s too bad the other thread got closed by the mods – the one where Chinese speakers claimed, wrongly, that those who don’t bother learning the language are losers, and non-fluent speakers rightfully countered that’s a bunch of hogwash and there are plenty of other worthwhile pursuits in life that can be worth focusing on INSTEAD of studying Mandarin – too bad, because I wanted to make a point there several months ago.

The point being that the single most important factor for whether you’ll learn it or not, in my mind, is whether you’ve got incentive and motivation. If you don’t then forget it. And for years I didn’t have much incentive/motivation because I had so many other things I wanted to spend my time on and I figured I would head back to the states any time and would forget most of it anyway, so it wasn’t worth the effort.

But it finally IS worth it now for me, because my wife and I bought a house here, I finally recognized that I’m not going back for at least 5 more years, my career opportunities are vastly greater here than back home and, while I’ve worked up very nicely to a terrific position in a great company, I’ve pretty much hit the ceiling in my field for a non-fluent-Chinese speaker, but if I can improve my fluency to the level where I can communicate about serious business matters and participate in business meetings in Chinese I can almost certainly double my salary, which is what I intend to do.

So, for me it is now worth it. But for plenty of people living in Taiwan (including my former self) who wish to go for long bike rides, read novels, write novels, make music, spend time with family, do taichi, go hiking, go to the gym, or countless other perfectly valid, legitimate and worthwhile activities, such that they don’t have time to study Chinese (or even for those who simply don’t care to) for them it clearly isn’t worth it.

If one feels a need and desire to work at learning Chinese then it’s worth it. Otherwise, it’s clearly not worth it and there’s nothing wrong with that.

It’s just a skill, and there will always be people who can do it better than you (unless you are ironlady, or Taiwanese). It’s great and I don’t regret having that world opened up to me, but I’d have had a different world opened up to me if I’d learned computing, or Russian, or whaddeva.

Lots of folk here learn it for their family, after they realise they can’t speak to their kids in their native language. I learned it because I had no family and needed to learn it to take care of daily life.

I go through phases. I have no interest in it for its own sake, and am learning Greek, Italian and Japanese for personal interest, right now. However, I am fascinated by aspects of Chinese culture. I just finished reading ‘Teahouse’ by Lao She, which was coolio, and I have this bilingual edition of a TCM introductory book, which I’m into.

I drop it for months, when I’m writing, or focusing on physical stuff like sport.

Anyway, just thinking aloud. It sounds like you are mining for arguments to either justify your own activities to your friends, or you are trying to influence their behaviour. Why’s that?

If you’re living in Taiwan long term, it’s worth it.

For some people. Not others. :wink:

It can be quite helpful if you don’t have any friends to hang out with. :smiley:

Wait, I think that’s why I don’t have any friends to hang out with… :cry:

It landed me a lovely wife. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

(ymmv)

And a third hand.

Learning Chinese is more work with less pay off that any endeavour anyone could possibly imagine. When I think about the number of things I could have done instead with all that time I want to cry. Then again sometimes it’s pretty cool. Go figure.

What about rolling a big rock up an endless hill?

That’s a pretty good analogy actually. It’s difficult, it’s uphill all the way, and if you stop pushing for an instant it will roll back over you with complete indifference.

I figure the best way to gauge “worth it” would be pay off.

Pay off forms:

1. Wife
  2. Nice Job
  3. New Cultural Experience
  4. Pure Satisfaction of Accomplishment*
  5. Being Able to Communicate With Family/Friends

Anything else? :ponder:

I need a solid list of legitimate reasons.

*no idea how one would define this term when learning Mandarin Chinese. . .

I learned Chinese and did not get a wife, job, new cultural experience, sense of accomplishment or ability to speak with friends and family. I know Chinese, though.

[quote=“Buttercup”]I am a ‘westerner’ who has learned Chinese on and off for about a decade, now.

It depends what you mean by ‘worth it’. It’s been invaluable for speaking with Chinese speakers and reading Chinese books and websites. Apart from that, it’s been a huge waste of time. :wink:

People who are crap at languages think I’m ‘clever’, and I’m sure it helps in job interviews, even though Chinese language skills are irrelevant in my work.[/quote]

How and where did it help in job interviews?

1. Wife
  2. Intellectual growth
  3. Ability to operate smoothly in a foreign environment
  4. Ability to do my job better
  5. New cultural experience
  6. Pure satisfaction of accomplishment
  7. Ability to make friends I wouldn’t normally be able to make
  8. Ability to communicate with the local wildlife and adopted strays

[quote=“Dragonbones”]6. Ability to communicate with the local wildlife and adopted strays[/quote]Learning Chinese will not allow you to talk to animals, despite protests or testimonials from DB. I think the lad has gone a little :loco:
Maybe we should change his title to “stray whisperer”? :whistle:

[quote=“Kevinhhh”]I figure the best way to gauge “worth it” would be pay off.

Pay off forms:

1. Wife
  2. Nice Job
  3. New Cultural Experience
  4. Pure Satisfaction of Accomplishment*
  5. Being Able to Communicate With Family/Friends

Anything else? :ponder:

I need a solid list of legitimate reasons.

*no idea how one would define this term when learning Mandarin Chinese. . .[/quote]
All my brothers-in-law are married, have VERY nice jobs and can communicate with family and friends, as can I. None of us know Chinese. My satisfaction of accomplishment comes from elsewhere, such as having learned to play music and tie my own shoelaces. If I want a new “cultural experience” I visit a delicatessen.
I don’t know what you mean by “legitimate reasons.” They’re ALL legitimate. NONE of them are legitimate.
The BEST possible legitimate reason – the ONLY legitimate reason – is “because I want to.”

Matchstick man, the UK. They think it’s cool that I can do things they perceive to be difficult. Got the three jobs I applied for, took the one I’m at now. Shrug.

sandman, I have long since realised that this is the only worthwhile and valid reason to do anything, other than wearing clothes and using toothpaste.