Is Marrying In Hong Kong Still A Viable Alternative?

The posts here are rather old. Has anyone done this RECENTLY? Thank you.

Alternative to what, exactly? Staying single in Hong Kong?

I hear lots of HongKongers there get married.

5 Likes

For a foreigner and a Taiwanese to get married there, as opposed to his home country. Itā€™s one of the countries where you donā€™t need to be a resident to get married, or at least, was.

well, it seems that your future partner is Taiwanese, so you can get married here no problem.

HK need to keep in mind the notice period before registering the marriage, and you need 2 witnesses there (not necessarily HK PRs).

MOFA told me to register my marriage first in my home country, because my home country doesnā€™t recognize Taiwan. Also, I would require the certificate of celibacy, which would require a trip to Europe. Hong Kong is a lot closer than Europe. So it would be more convenient, even with flying two people as witnesses.

To be more specific, have there been any geo-political changes that made this procedure impossible/improbable? Iā€™ve asked someone who has done it and told me they donā€™t know if itā€™s still possible. I have also mailed a few concierge services, waiting for reply.

:astonished:

Guy

5 Likes

I think op is referring to the fact that a lot of British people (and other nationalities) who couldnā€™t get a certificate of no impediment for marriage in Taiwan without going back to their home countries, used to travel to HK and get married there because their country had a diplomatic presence there. I donā€™t know if itā€™s still a viable option though.

2 Likes

Yes, exactly :slight_smile:

I needed a certificate of celibacy too (a shocker right that u need to prove that you r still legally single to get married?) Went to the ā€œconsulateā€ here who made it, already in Chinese, got it legalised at BOCA and then went to the HHRO, done.

Still, without u telling us which country you are from, we canā€™t pulled anything from our experiences. Europe ainā€™t a country, itā€™s a continent, and most of EU countries register things from tw without too many issues, just need to follow the procedure since canā€™t do apostilles here.

MOFA talks a lot, and many times wrongly. Donā€™t just follow always what they tell u, especially for things regarding other countries procedures.

Talk to the representative post/consulate of your home country regarding how to register a marriage registered in Taiwan, thatā€™s the right angle. Coz TW gov is going to marry u as long as u have all the docs in order, itā€™s quite an efficient machine for that.

Thatā€™s what I can tell u about an Italian citizen (me) marrying a Tw national with HHR and then registering the marriage (with even the separation of the wealth decree from the district court) with the Italian consulate here. Did the whole ordeal 2 months ago, so itā€™s fresh and relevant

2 Likes

Also to add on if your home country does not have a national marriage registry then you do not have to have your marriage registered in your home country at all.

The Certificate of no impediment to marriage required is reasonably fair. In Australia Births, Deaths and marriages are managed independently by each state. A certificate from any state would be accepted. I got a Victorian ā€˜Single Status Certificateā€™ and that was enough even though it is technically possible to get a certificate issued by the Australian federal government. Unlike @Mataiou and Italians it is not possible for Australians to get a certificate from the ā€˜embassyā€™ so we need to be prepared. Also hell would freeze over before an Australian government issued an official document in a language other than English.
Australia does not have a national marriage registry so I just got married in Taiwan and that was that.

If your country has multiple options try the easiest.

Side note even if I was married in Victoria I could have just flown/driven to another state and gotten a perfectly acceptable single status certificate from there

The actual marriage part takes 5 minutes

2 Likes

I got married in Hong Kong for exact same reasons. Found two witness in park 30 minutes before wedding. That was 8 years ago. Is it still possible today Iā€™m not sure.