Is mutually-agreed street fighting all right?

The movie was very disappointing.

your posts are very disappointing.

Those are fighting words.

“fighting”. first relevant post so far :slight_smile:

The first rule of fight club precludes any pertinent responses.

[quote=“cfimages”][quote=“skoster”][quote=“cfimages”][quote=“skoster”]To be fair, many activities people partake in have no redeeming value in other peoples eyes.

Visual arts bore me to tears, if another photo was never created my life would be no poorer.

Even though I consider photography a waste of time, energy and money which could be spent producing something I value, I wouldn’t want to deny someone else the thing which brings them joy.

I certainly wouldn’t insult them for doing something I consider wasteful and useless, since I respect the fact that it’s really none of my business if that’s how they choose to spend their time.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2[/quote]

But visual arts or any other activity you can think of, doesn’t have violence as its only purpose. There’s no point to fighting other than to beat someone up. We don’t allow it with dogs or chickens, there’s no reason to allow it with humans.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2[/quote]

Sure there is, personal sovereignty, possibly the most important reason every conceived for not prohibiting human endeavors.

We make laws all the time to protect people and in most civilized countries people broadly support them. Restrictions on driving drunk, or laws for helmets and seatbelts, restrictions on guns and knives to name a few. If personal sovereignty were all that’s needed, none of those laws would exist.

I never said personal sovereignty was all that was needed. You stated that there was no reason to allow two consenting adults to fight each other since we don’t allow animals to fight each other, and I stated that there was a reason… Personal sovereignty.

This has nothing to do with seatbelts, knives, guns or any of the other things you brought up. That is unless you’re now saying that your original position was wrong and you want to argue a new position. Otherwise let’s try to stay focused.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using lTapatalk 2

I don’t understand how you don’t have the resources to do amateur boxing? I did enough fighting at school to last me a lifetime, haven’t been in a street fight for decades, don’t miss it either.
Want to be careful getting into street fighting in a country or culture you don’t know well. In Taiwan it might start 1 on 1 and end up with 10 guys kicking your head in. You will end up in hospital or dead if that happens. Another very good reason why I avoid those situations here.

There was at least one forumosan who was doing the kick boxing thing.

There’s an MMA scene in Taiwan and Japan, just get into that.

[quote=“skoster”][quote=“cfimages”][quote=“skoster”][quote=“cfimages”][quote=“skoster”]To be fair, many activities people partake in have no redeeming value in other peoples eyes.

Visual arts bore me to tears, if another photo was never created my life would be no poorer.

Even though I consider photography a waste of time, energy and money which could be spent producing something I value, I wouldn’t want to deny someone else the thing which brings them joy.

I certainly wouldn’t insult them for doing something I consider wasteful and useless, since I respect the fact that it’s really none of my business if that’s how they choose to spend their time.

But visual arts or any other activity you can think of, doesn’t have violence as its only purpose. There’s no point to fighting other than to beat someone up. We don’t allow it with dogs or chickens, there’s no reason to allow it with humans.

Sure there is, personal sovereignty, possibly the most important reason every conceived for not prohibiting human endeavors.

We make laws all the time to protect people and in most civilized countries people broadly support them. Restrictions on driving drunk, or laws for helmets and seatbelts, restrictions on guns and knives to name a few. If personal sovereignty were all that’s needed, none of those laws would exist.

I never said personal sovereignty was all that was needed. You stated that there was no reason to allow two consenting adults to fight each other since we don’t allow animals to fight each other, and I stated that there was a reason… Personal sovereignty.

This has nothing to do with seatbelts, knives, guns or any of the other things you brought up. That is unless you’re now saying that your original position was wrong and you want to argue a new position. Otherwise let’s try to stay focused.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using lTapatalk 2[/quote]

Ok, you said it was the most important reason and I said only reason. I’ll give you that.

But the point remains that we restrict people from doing stuff that can cause them harm all the time, or at least try to minimize the risks. The same can easily apply to streetfighting. There are plenty of organized boxing clubs etc for people who want to fight that do provide some basic protection.

Everyone knows that there is MMA, kickboxing etc. It is not what he wants, he wants to be in a fight club. I think it’s totally different.

It’s totally stupid.

It is like telling a person who wants to spray paint abandoned buildings that it is better to just use paint and a canvas. Totally different scene. And yeah, ok, it is stupid to some people. But not as stupid as feeling the need to tell someone asking for information that what they are looking for is stupid.

No. It’s like telling someone who wants to spraypaint the insides of his eyelids and nostrils that it is stupid. I never saw the movie so maybe I’m missing something.

There’s no such thing as fight club.
TD

[quote=“cfimages”][quote=“skoster”][quote=“cfimages”][quote=“skoster”][quote=“cfimages”][quote=“skoster”]To be fair, many activities people partake in have no redeeming value in other peoples eyes.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using lTapatalk 2[/quote]

Ok, you said it was the most important reason and I said only reason. I’ll give you that.

But the point remains that we restrict people from doing stuff that can cause them harm all the time, or at least try to minimize the risks. The same can easily apply to streetfighting. There are plenty of organized boxing clubs etc for people who want to fight that do provide some basic protection.[/quote]

Actually, I stated that it was a reason. This was following your statement that there was no reason.
Now we appear to agree that it is a reason.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

I fink people gonna be people. And people gonna wanna do bad fings. Wurd.

YES. The only reason there is for fighting is to hit someone who is willing. What is wrong with that? If you don’t like it, don’t do it or watch it.

Many people think that mutual combat is legal as long as both participants are willing. It isn’t, in most US states. They can’t even hold UFC tournaments in all but a few states. Generally, the courts treat participants who’ve engaged in mutual combat as BOTH guilty of battery. So basically, fight clubs are banned, or at least the fighting part is. I guess people could form a fight club, just talk about fighting and never take active steps towards accomplishing a fight. But then it wouldn’t be a fight club. So yeah, fight clubs are illegal.

Why? Because mutual combat doesn’t produce any social benefits, and can result is a variety of social ills. Mutual combat harms the participants, creates a dangerous and hostile environment, and promotes violence. The costs of medical treatment for serious injuries may be carried by the government or private hospitals who will pass most of the cost on to consumers. Even insured combatants would contribute to higher premiums. And it’s just uncivilized. Many such behaviors are banned in the US and I’m guessing other democracies. Cfimages has provided several examples.

You could say exactly the same thing about standing armies, violent movies or videogames, and alcohol. Yet we allow these things because, despite their (well-documented) evils, we recognise that they also have a purpose. In this case, I’d say it’s better for the OP to start a fight with someone who actually enjoys fighting (for whatever reason) than with some random stranger in a bar, who might just want a quiet night out.