Is NT$41,000/ Month Too Low To Be Teaching English?

My friend says it’s too low.

I’m American if that makes a difference

Are you sure you’re American?

3 Likes

I guess it depends on the hours. Not sure why being American would matter. It’s not like you get more being American vs Canadian.

Working 12-7:30 Monday-Friday

1 Like

I post here the same.

The minimum monthly averaged wage for foreign professionals is 47,971. If your contract includes 2.05-month bonus, it satisfies the requirement.

But, is it an elementary school? Sounds like a buxiban hour. It includes after school program?

2.05? Meaning 200 Taiwanese dollars??? How does that small amount satisfy the requirements?

No. 2.05 month bonus = 41000*2.05 NTD.

…, so, u mean $80,000 a month?

No. Not monthly bonus.
your yearly wage should be 14.05 * 41000 NTD to satisfy the legal requirement. 41000NTD for each month + 83652NTD bonus per year

IIRC, this is only for white collar office workers, not buxiban teachers. @yyy can probably clarify for us.

I know, but according to OP, he was hired by an elementary school, not by buxiban.

That is why I said there is no legal requirement of the fbi check in the original thread,

Actually, you suggested the hours sound like a buxiban and he never answered you that it is an elementary school.

Does that minimum requirement also count for regular school teachers? I have no idea, so deferred to one of our local legal gurus.

yeah, I am not sure that his/her school is really an elementary school. OP said hired by an owner, not a principal.

I don’t even see where it says he was hired. And if he did, wouldn’t an owner instead of a principal suggest more that it’s a buxiban and not an elementary school?

agree. I intended to say so.

I work in an elementary school and I work from 7:40 to 4 every day.
12-7:30 is more likely buxiban hours.
If you get paid $600/hour, you can do the math.
7x5 = 35.
35x600 = 21000.
21000x4 = 84000, so according to this simple math, OP you’re getting wrecked.

Saying “I’m an American” makes you look sketchy, IMO.

Maybe he was just saying he is a native English speaker and that it could make a difference, understandably so.
Anyway 41 000 seems too low. I hope it is not in Taipei?

Teachers wage is based on 外籍英語教師待遇標準表.
Standard wage for a 1st year teacher with a bachelor’s degree is 62720 NTD (5 years ago. It was adjusted a few percent.).

EDIT:
The below is just for professionals described in Article 4 of
Qualifications and Criteria Standards for foreigners undertaking the jobs specified under Article 46.1.1 to 46.1.6 of the Employment Service Act.
Public school teachers are not included.

告外國人受聘僱從事專門性及技術性工作之每人月平均薪資最低數額、外國人受聘僱從事就業服務法第四十六條第一項第一款至第六款規定之工作,其隨同居留之外國籍配偶從事專門性或技術性之部分工時工作、華僑或外國人投資或設立事業之部分工時主管工作之每人平均時薪最低數額,並自中華民國一百零六年八月一日生效。
更新日期:106-08-15
發布單位:跨國勞動力管理組
發布日期:106-07-28
點閱率:8288

勞動部 公告

發文日期:中華民國106年8月14日
發文字號:勞動發管字第10605154981號
附件:如文

主旨:公告外國人受聘僱從事專門性及技術性工作之每人月平均薪資最低數額、外國人受聘僱從事就業服務法第四十六條第一項第一款至第六款規定之工作,其隨同居留之外國籍配偶從事專門性或技術性之部分工時工作、華僑或外國人投資或設立事業之部分工時主管工作之每人平均時薪最低數額,並自中華民國一百零六年八月一日生效。
依據:「外國人從事就業服務法第四十六條第一項第一款至第六款工作資格及審查標準」(以下簡稱本標準)第八條。
公告事項:
一、外國人受聘僱從事本標準第四條之工作,其月平均薪資不得低於新臺幣四萬七千九百七十一元整。但有下列情事之一者,不在此限:
(一)公立或已立案私立大專以上校院或學術研究機構辦理專題研究計畫聘僱之專任研究助理人員,其工作酬金學士學位每人每月平均薪資不得低於新臺幣三萬一千五百二十元整,碩士學位每人每月平均薪資不得低於新臺幣三萬六千五十元整。
(二)已依據本部(改制前行政院勞工委員會)一百零一年六月十四日勞職管字第一○一○五一二○九三號公告取得聘僱許可之展延聘僱許可案,其每人月平均薪資達新臺幣三萬七千六百十九元整以上者。
(三)符合本標準第五條之一第一項規定資格者。
二、外國人受聘僱從事就業服務法第四十六條第一項第一款至第六款規定工作,其隨同居留之外國籍配偶從事下列工作,每小時平均薪資不得低於新臺幣二百元整:
(一)受聘僱從事本標準第四條之部分工時工作。
(二)受聘僱從事本標準第三十八條之部分工時主管工作。
三、本部一百零六年七月二十八日勞動發管字第一○六○五一一六三○一號公告,自一百零六年八月一日停止適用。
部長 林美珠

1 Like

So, @Itsmeee, your salary cannot be that of a regular school teacher.
Your employer is a buxiban, and you need the fbi background check for your work permit.

So, i’m heading there now. What should i ask my employer?

It’s my first day