Is religion a choice?

Yes, and? Would you care to demonstrate that something is true by those means?

Would Hume agree with that? Is it even possible to have the same experiences when all of our physical senses are essentially unique and then uniquely experienced cognitively?

Sure. We can go back historically with the events of the prophet Mohammad. Do eye witness accounts from none Islamic sources contradict or support the claims of Islamic beliefs.

It’s a simplification, but that’s what’s happening in some sense. Although all of our senses may be unique, they certainly aren’t entirely unique–there is significant common ground.

You’d have to be more specific.

If Mohammad in the Quron said he was at a certain place and did something. Let’s say perform a miracle of god. Would eyewitness accounts that confirm or contradict the event not be a way to demonstrate truth of non truth?

Yes religion can be a choice. Mostly it’s not.

This sounds hypothetical. What do you mean “a miracle of god”–that’s begging the question. What kind of eyewitness accounts?

I mean, what if everyone in the world saw “God is real” every day written in the sky in their own language? What would that tell us?

It means everyone most likely saw god is real written in the sky. How you interpret that, is up to you. The same as any data set, they are worthless unless you can interpret them.

The kind we use to verify any historical account. Multiple trust worthy 1st hand sources would count a lot towards the authenticity of the event.

If religion were a choice wouldn’t we see a fair spread of all organised religions regardless of geographical location or birth?

I answered the thread’s question, so why don’t I get one of those Solution check marks?

Is this a conspiracy?

3 Likes

Exactly.

Yes, and we’d have to evaluate those sources and reason out with what certainty we could estimate that something actually occurred. But since we’re talking about a religious claim, what would the event tell us, even if we could ascertain it occurred with accuracy as much as everyone seeing it simultaneously in the present?

Sure, hot is hot mostly. Just don’t let’s talk about that woman who has orgasms all day long. :smoker:

Who?

Religion is a choice like reading left to right is.

2 Likes

Oh, well,

Geez. So much for intelligent design :slight_smile:

1 Like

If only Hume had met Einstein. “Yes, David, that’s great, but I have this friend…”

In what manner?

As a believer, I don’t think it’s a choice, if born to parents who are believers, because how much agency do you have as a kid?

As your consciousness develops, then sure it’s a choice imo.