Is religion a choice?

Established by who?

Good way to scam people. But then again, I did not see Catholic priests molesting kids or church people stealing money from congregates, so it must not have existed. If you give ALL your money to the church, you are guaranteed a place in heaven. Woohoo. rolleyes

Just like how you established whatever you are saying to me right now.

Are we going to question too the existence of this thread, this conversation and how forumosa started or if internet has been established or how the English language is established???

1 Like

A lot of things dream about me. Something new every night. It’s nice to be wanted.

1 Like

People who do scientific modelling tend not to believe the Universe is meaningless gibberish. OTOH, they can easily believe it is meaningless.
I find this tends to be a bit of a trap.
“Do you believe in a purpose?” “No” “Then you admit what you are doing has no meaning.”
“Do you believe in a purpose?” “Yes” “Then you admit there must be a Purpose-Giver.”
The point of the exchange is to confuse externally-given meaning with internally-derived meaning and toggle back and forth as the argument demands.

Hey @discobot fortune

Am I actually discobot?

:crystal_ball: As I see it, yes

2 Likes

Religion 101.

You also can’t do scientific modelling if you believed any meaning in this universe is internally-driven, and not a feature of the universe itself.

I’m just pointing out, the things you take for granted as established, may very well not be.

And religions are all very different. It seems your disgruntled views about the Catholic Church is one of the basis of your conclusions. It says nothing about a Baptist or Tibetan buddhism

Also just a side note, in terms of molesting kids, it seems to just be prevalent is any situations kids and adults are involved. In a certain perspective, it happens remarkably low in Catholic Churches.

2 Likes

I think there are a lot more public school employees than there are members of the clergy, though. Does the graph account for the percentage of occurrence in each group individually?

It’s also hard to determine how many cases go unreported, or in the case of the Catholic church especially, covered up.

4 Likes

Another absurd equivalence. There are WAY more public school employees than Catholic priests.

2 Likes

3.2 million public school teachers in the US. Around 37,000 Catholic priests. 37,000 is just little over 1%.

1% of 29,000 is 290.

2 Likes

Taoism is a philosophy, not a religion.

If we’re talking about rates, Catholic priests are less likely than teachers to molest children.

That said, the Catholic Church still has lots of crap to clean up.

And they won’t remain as dogma for all time, but will be corrected. This is a feature, not a defect.

It basically is. Science is a set of knowledge that has been demonstrated. Always tentative, always subject to revision and correction (a feature), but demonstrated. How is religion the same?

No it isn’t. People can have wildly different experiences. Empirical knowledge must be demonstrable and repeatable. When people all have the same experiences repeatedly under certain conditions, then we can derive empirical knowledge. How does this happen with religion?

Who me? Can I demonstrate to anyone that it occurred? Or am I merely going to relate tales of this incident to others?

Same as above.

You don’t understand what “empirically” means. You seem to be confusing it with “personal experience”.

2 Likes

Religion can be understood empirically.

Could you please demonstrate some religious truth to me?

One way is through historical means.

Sexual predators deliberately target institutions where they have easy access to victims and where they are most likely to get away with it.

Not many priests have been caught over the past 50 years? No shit, Sherlock. They’re only just getting dragged out now after the Church has protected then.