Is rice a simple thing?

[quote=“Buttercup”]
Seems like such a simple thing, bread, but obviously not.[/quote]

Is rice a simple thing ?

[quote=“It is me again”][quote=“Buttercup”]
Seems like such a simple thing, bread, but obviously not.[/quote]

Is rice a simple thing ?[/quote]

I have never given the question a moment’s thought. It is in Taiwan, I guess. You only seem to find that globby East Asian style. Never ate the stuff.

It is a great substitute for Blu-Tak. Basmati is real rice. The Indian stuff, not the American Basmati from the company that tried to register the term “Basmati” as a brand name and prevent the Indians from using the term.

BroonAndhraPradesh

It is a great substitute for Blu-Tak. Basmati is real rice. The Indian stuff, not the American Basmati from the company that tried to register the term “Basmati” as a brand name and prevent the Indians from using the term.

BroonAndhraPradesh[/quote]
Takes me back to my younger days. This was one of my first few posts on Forumosa:
The regular rice in Taiwan- boring and sticky or great?

My thread titles haven’t got any more imaginative since then.

Well, the local stuff is ok, better if you cook it yourself though and I tend to buy brown rice here or Thai fragrant rice when I fancy a change.
Anyone seen risotto rice for sale here recently? The only stuff I’ve seen these days is the tiny single pack with dried mushrooms in it and it’s stupidly expensive.
I’d really like to cook up some good risotto, as the stuff you get in restaurants here isn’t even close.

Wild Rice is where it’s at!

[quote=“TheLostSwede”]
I’d really like to cook up some good risotto, as the stuff you get in restaurants here isn’t even close.[/quote]

Oh yeah. I always avoided that stuff; rice, peas and monosodium glutamate, anyone? Then I saw it in a recipe book someone gave me and made it and was converted. There’s something good about spending an hour or more, stirring wine, homemade stock, dried mushrooms and Parmesan into rice. Not every day, but.

I saw basmati rice at G&G in Tianmu today. Not sure where it was from, though.