Is riding a bike in the rain unhealthy, what to wear?

I’m trying to up my game for riding bike in the rain which I really don’t do.

And then I found this, apparently there are multiple benefits.

Like improved mental health and negative ions and all kinds of other things.

I don’t know what to wear.

Pollution is an issue. People in Taiwan never get tired of mentioning going bald in the rain here.

Pragmatically, the rain knocks the vast majority of pollution out of the air and into the soil/water. I would thunk it would be better. Just give it an hour so you don’t get the beginning of the with concentrated yuck :slight_smile:

I also work out in the rain intentionally because it makes a person feel amazing. So long as exercise and heat being produced. It is great!

Assuming physical activity, wear short stuff that won’t pull on skin and limit motion. Then just have a bag with dry clothes for after when you cool down.

I’ve done it plenty of times.
Only recommendation is to make sure tires have some sort of rain flaps so water from them don’t go up your back and/or onto shoes.

2 Likes

From the pseudoscience in the first 4 points, it seems like whoever made that website is mostly trying to sell negative ions. :whistle:

Rain showers generate large quantities of negative ions. Negative ions increase our serotonin levels, helping us to fight stress and alleviate both chronic depression and seasonal affective disorder. Negative ions also increase the flow of oxygen to our brains, leading to more mental energy and clearer thinking.

1 Like

Next step: Convincing your relatives, significant other, or anybody that drank the Taiwanese equivalent of Kool-Aid that as long as you’re not freezingly cold, it’s OK.

1 Like

A good rain coat, that won’t steam you to death from the trapped body heat?

1 Like

Had a honda moped once in taipei, hated riding the thing in the rain. Bike cant be better. Only die hards ride in the rain. Watch out for slick roads.

It’s not that bad once you get going. It can be pretty refreshing, similar to diving in the mud, especially if you’re a dirty hander like me.

One thing to watch out for though is your arms freezing. Core body temperature and all the rest of it will be fine from the leg movement but the wind mixed with the rain can cause your body to reduce blood supply to the arms. You won’t really feel this happening, until you stop in a warm place and try to warm them up (like in the shower) then suddenly you’re shivering and have hypothermia :smiley:

Anything with Goretex is your friend. Wicks away the rain, keeps you relatively warm and is a breathable. They may be condescending in some way, however, I’ve gone through my fair share of rain jackets and Goretax reigns above all.

Wouldn’t be worried about negative benefits to your health. Others have mentioned the Taiwanese KoolAid. I would be more worried about (cleaning) your bike.

That is what the rain is for

Goretex is a marketing gimmick, anything with Goretex is almost certainly not your wallet’s friend.

Definitely not my wallet’s friend, but has kept me warm and dry countless times out there.

“There’s no such thing as bad weather, only unsuitable clothing.”

Where have I heard that before? Click play

The last one featured in this video sounds nice GBP 199 = NT$ 8,000