Is subletting standard here?

I am considering longer term options as I have come to like this country over the past year and half ish that I have been here.

However, I don’t want to spens the full year here (mostly due to poor air quality in the south and low temperatures in the north during Autumn and winter) so was considering renting a place (ideally furnished) on a yearly contract then subletting it for those months - a bit more than half the year.

This arrangement would give me the flexibility to live here when I want, and get a better place (both because of lower prices for yearly, plus there being so few short term options available as everyone wants the year as standard). I would be doing the whole apartment at once, probably multiple bedrooms and in a newer Building.

I have heard from multiple people that renting is much better than buying here, though I would have to get a property management company involved to take care of things while I am not there, and of course be allowed to sublet by both my contract and the building bylaws.

Does this seem like a viable solution, and would it be normal to find rentals that would allow subletting? And on the other side of things, is there a market for renting a place for 6-8 months a year (as the person I would sublet to), or would doing Airbnbs be the only practical solution?

Cant help on legality. But it is very common here. Often times, quite a h eadache

Taiwan has cheap rentals for sure. not in lin.e with property “value” at all. Also lots of restrictions on foreigners buying land.

1 Like

Do you usually have to get it in the contract (or even come standard), or one of those assumed things? (Would I be right to use “Cha buduo”?)

Legally, you need an agreement letter from the owner to subletting.

Article 9 of Rental Housing Market Development and Regulation Act

Q8:簽約時要如何確認出租者的身分才能保障自身權益?
A:當對方表示自己是屋主本人時,可要求出示房屋權狀和身份證,如果沒有權狀,則可請提供最近一年的房屋稅單,確認稅單上的納稅義務人是不是與簽約者同一人。當對方表示自己是二房東,可請二房東(轉租人)出示大房東同意轉租之書面文件。因為依據租賃住宅條例第9條規定,必須經過大房東(出租人)書面同意,二房東(轉租人)才能將其租用住宅的全部或一部分轉租
2 Likes

Thanks. Is it still possible to do this while not on an ARC or anything like that - i.e. visa exemption?

Presumably I would need to get some kind of tax identifier also in that case?

To avoid hassles worries etc Airbnb is most certainly the best option, in my opinion.

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Did I miss something?

1 Like

What I mean is book Airbnb for a few months stay in Taiwan only and no need to sign a contract for one year. Thus no subletting required.

Even in skimming that thread it becomes apparent that this is a rabbit hole across several professions from tax to legal and maybe even immigration - plus of course finding the places and dealing with landlords and tenants.

Is there an initial type of point person (e.g. property management company) I should go to, if I am going to take this seriously, to help orient me about the process, who will be able to help me get the most complete picture of whats involved?

it may be a real estate agent.

It is 包租代管業者 in Chinese.

1 Like

The best life advice you will ever receive (especially in taiwan) is to study the law yourself, then go forward with agents etc. Most acts, amendments etc are translated into english here. At the very least you can get an idea, copy down the acts code, paragraph etc and ask them directly based on said identification number.

Failing to do this most basic step is certainly opening you up to potential issues. Many will tell you their experience and how it worked out good for them. Or their freinds, aunts, neices husbands mother. Blah blah… Worth to read the laws on this. Takes the same amount of time as watching one mindless movie and you will be far more immune from sketchy assholes cheating you because they assume youre ignorant.

Generally this advice is the absolute bare minimum you should do in any country for any venture involving.other humans and/or money.

After said steps, lawyers can be consulted and.you will be equiped with enough knowledge to.have a literate conversation and get results rather than wasting lots of money and being stressed out for long periods of time :slight_smile:

2 Likes