Is Tai Chi dying?

just google tai chi competion, fitghting the air in the moon.

I did taekwondo for a couple of years. Not dissimilar to most martial arts I’ve tried, but a bit too kicky and hands too low.

Tie a Taekwondo fighter’s hand behind his back and he would have a better chance winning a street fight lol. The kicks in TKD definitely work, and i’m sure it will surprise anyone with little or no training. The movements are a bit to big and predictable in MMA for a trained fighter, but some of the kicks have definitely been used to success when combined with other martial arts. The strikes by hand in TKD are pretty useless though.

1 Like

Yeah, the kicks are very powerful…if you can land one. Totally useless in close fighting though. But the physical training does produce tough, strong bodies, which is definitely worth something. And Koreans are pretty tough mofos to begin with…unless they’re the boy band type. :grin:

I’ve seen a lot of TKD reverse and turn kicks in MMA lately actually. They knock people out a lot if the land since if they landed, it means the person didn’t see it coming.

There was a guy from UK that won the Hong Kong full contact martial arts competition back in the 80s using a more martial form of Tai Chi. His name was Dan Doherty I met him in Hong Kong once, no idea if he’s still alive I guess in his late sixties now. He knocked out everyone I think.
They were bare knuckle , with minimum rules but no ground fighting. Some good fighters entered. Maybe on Youtube

aren’t you just meant to pick up your AR-15 and shoot the fuckers now?

i thought that was the resounding conclusion from a previous thread.

What works in an actual fight is boxing and wrestling. We have known this long enough now. Those two disciplines are also the bedrock of mma.

Did UFC 1 not happen?

A question to consider is: Is UFC style competition the same as a streetlfight?

A real question to ask in relation to streetfights is a development of law and order in the 20th century … What is your goal in this fight? If it is to “knockout” your opponent vs. killing your opponent, the effectiveness (and approach) of the style is very different. What level of threat are you at with your opponent?

You can see this in the development of the “do” styles vs. the “jitsu” styles of martial arts in Japan which coincide perfectly with the development of modern society in Japan.

Just my 2 cents …

No it’s not the same. It’s closer than anything else is. Bruce Lee himself said that you could win most fights with wrestling and boxing.

Bruce Lee was still fighting in a modern “duel” mentality that has the same goal - knockout, which is not the same as pre-modern, killing based arts, as well as modern self-defense thinking, which is based on perceived threat.

What are you talking about? Where and in which time was the goal of a street fight to be death? How can you kill somebody in a fight if you can’t throw a punch or can’t wrestle.

What do you envisage outside of punches, kicking, wrestling and grappling in your pre modern martial arts?

Martial arts became more dangerous through competition and refinement. Traditional Chinese martial arts didn’t evolve, that’s it. Modern mma is basically simulating fighting someone to the death with the ref controlling the violence. If tai chi worked, people would be using it

I am talking about Pre-modern times (and often modern, present day in many North American cities in robberies and dealing with criminals). When an unarmed martial art is/was a last resort to often deal with people who were trying to kill or rob you (who were often armed) is when killing/survival is paramount. There is also a reason why in Western martial arts, it is mostly weapon based (swords, rapiers, etc.) before firearms came along.

There are many moves that are illegal in modern competition that radically change the way things work - eye gouges, throat punches, biting, etc…

Give grappling a try (conceptually of course) where biting and eye gouges are allowed - it is not the same. Or, throw a knife into the equation, and it is totally different. I know that many believe that MMA is the end all be all with martial arts … but how well do they fare when there are no rules whatsoever? And how often is there a fair “duel” as is portrayed in the ring … almost never. I not saying that MMA isn’t a great martial art. Or even that it is not effective … it is. It just has its limits in the street. Mind you, I live and work in Winnipeg, the violent crime capital of Canada, where stabbings and robberies are a daily occurrence, so my view is skewed.

Back on point, I don’t really think Tai-chi as it exists now is much more than yoga in motion, but it isn’t horrible to keep your health going as you get older, though.

So do younger generations do the more meditative side of Tai Chi that is seen in park? If not, do you think they will here in Taiwan once they are elderly themselves? Or maybe Tai Chi that I see in the park is on its last leg I don’t know.

MMA is a sport. If you are throwing weapons into the mix, then you are looking at hand to hand combat they teach in the military. The latter is also constantly learning from MMA. Wrestling and boxing is still the main part

Since we are in practicality of martial arts, let’s put Taichi and MMA in a real world situation.

Remember Zheng Jie the knife stabbing psycho on the MRT? If there had been a Taichi or MMA master on that fateful day, which one of them would have faired beter on a crowded MRT line, facing an weapon wielding psycho in close quarters?

I’d imagine in this scenario, since there is just one opponent, ground fighting would be pretty useful, provided that you don’t get stabbed in the process of tackling the psycho.

He was taken down by an old guy who had hand-to-hand combat training, wasn’t he?

2 Likes

from ChiaYi. Skilled in slapping down mosquitoes.

There are plenty of young people practicing tai chi in Taiwan (although probably more middle-aged and older), and not just the slow forms. Also push hands, sparring, weapons, etc.