Is Tai Chi dying?

He knew some grappling techniques, and some martial arts.

儘管頭部被打到,手也有點扭傷,壓制伯陳風說自己學過擒拿術,當兵讀書時也有接觸國術

He demonstrated his techniques in this interview.

Through out most its history, martial arts in China are also mostly weapon based, until the government started arresting anyone for carrying a weapon.

Q: Is Tai Chi becoming less popular in recent years or do people only turn to it when they get older?

A: Dude, that shit will never fly in THE OCTAGON!
A: I think yoga and swimming are better.
A: FUNCTIONAL TRAINING FOR THE WIN!
A: It doesn’t detox you enough.
A: Old people are stupid - their taichi won’t be of any use when somebody takes them down to the ground!
A: It’s ok but a chess grandmaster would kill a taichi master…in chess!
A: It won’t teach you to catch a punch!
A: It won’t teach you to kick like taekwondo and you’ll never learn to cook a nice souffle.
A: UFC! UFC! UFC!

6 Likes

Neither of them. Both would get stabbed. The only person who might have a chance is someone with a military background or trained in disarming someone with a knife. Something like Krav Maga is useful in situations like this

2 Likes

Exactly. Has nobody been following Xu Xiaodong in China. Chinese traditional martial arts are 80 per cent guff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LCvwT2l5Ww

Totally agree there - though I am not a huge fan of Krav Maga, it has too many fine motor movements IMHO.

Sorry for the late response. I just found this thread today.

I Googled around and found him on this website:

https://www.taichichuan.co.uk/introduction/what-is-tai-chi-chuan.html

He’s featured in some YouTube videos, too.

[Edited to fix the link by adding the letter l to the end of it. Sorry for the error.]

It my understanding from when I took King Fu like 30 years ago that a Tai chi (chuan I believe?) master was basically undefeatable.

Their discipline, speed and strength was unmatched.

On the other hand it was a said the a Tai chi master could win a confrontation simply by using his words.

I wish I had my old books on hand, my name memory is not the best. Or else I could add more info.

It was all inclusive with philosophy, where as most martial arts are simply training in movement. Therefore you would never see a Tai chi master in an exhibition fight, nor could they be goaded into one.

If you could " convince" one to fight, then that wouldn’t make them a Master, goes against the philosophy.

It’s almost like a myth

What old people do in the park is more like the warming up for actual Tai chi

1 Like

I learnt my best fighting skills in school and environs and grappling with my bros. Pull the head down first, headlocks and start jabbing their head (we were doing mma before MMA was invented ), jacket over head, knee to said head. If they can’t see or off balance they are in trouble . I had a few other moves but folks get the picture. Kicking people when down is not cool but it is effective , fortunately it didn’t really go to that level. Still didn’t win all fights eirher usually because of being out numbered. :sunglasses: I’ve not been in a proper fight since I left school even though I have much better boxing skills now. I’d probably go with inside cross cuts where you put your weight behind a punch if I need to do a standing fight and I could take somebody out in one go if I connected but it’s better not to get sued for damaging people or getting yourself knifed etc. It’s better not to fight at all. :grinning:

1 Like

At best, it’s mediocre wrestling. Most of the time, it’s just as bad as Wing Chun.

Another MMA guy? :thinking:

Tai chi could be useful if during exercise you do some muscle tension.

Guilty.

Rhetorical question. It was pretty obvious. :sunglasses:

1 Like