Is Taiwan for me?

I hate asking for assistance, but i must, as I am stuck in rut!

I have been thinking about moving to taiwan to teahc for almosta year now. Almost went back in the summer, then sars and fears hit…since, I have thought about it and somedays I want to and some days I can’t imagine leaving here (san francisco)…

On the one hand, I love to experience new cultures and explore life…

On the other hand, I am 29 have a career going and don’t want to end up going backwards if i come back in 1-2 years so much…

I know it’s hard for anyone to understand what’s in my head, but i figure some on here would relate. I assume if i go, once i get there I will enjoy it. But some of my main interests are also Politics, sports, news, talking to people…and i am afraid moving to a new culture and country (non english) I will miss alot of this.

Living in SF for 4 years makes me not afraid of the chinese aspect…as this city is a bit asian and I am eating chinese almost everyday…

If I should go for 1-2 years will I regret it? (I know only i can answer this…just talking out loud)

I guess I am just worried if I go, I will end up there unhappy…and if I stay I will end up here unhappy! I feel either way I have to give something up, and just not sure which is the one.

Taipei has nothing on San Francisco weather, food, multiculturalism, cultural and sport opportunities and scenery. If you’re worried about your career, then don’t come here as you may end up staying longer than you anticipated (as most of us have!) and by teaching English you’ll not earn the money you will in SF with it’s higher wages due to cost of living.

The benefits you will receive will be opportunites to travel from here to other overseas destinations as working in the US it’s harder to get time off and it’s far away from everywhere in the world.
You’ll also learn another language unless you’re not into that, and you may meet more interesting people than the ‘same-olds’ in SF (no matter how avant garde they look– and yes, I lived in SF for a few years). You’ll also gain some ‘life’ experience by living abroad rather than getting stuck in a rut with a 9-5 job and taking on a mortgage for thirty years, and then looking back at retirement age wishing you’d had a more colourful life and done certain things in your youth.

Also, depending on your career, you may be able to get some experience here as well, or start an entirely new career. You never know. Cut the umbilical, I’d say. You can always go BACK, if you hate it, or go somewhere else. San Francisco isn’t the centre of the universe, no matter how great a city it is. Just be prepared for the hot and sultry weather if you come in the summer.

To be honest, if you really want to try a stint in a foreign country, Taiwan would not be my first choice.
If you have a career in SF, stay the course.

I

Walrus - what’s your job? Maybe we could do a job swap! I wouldn’t mind living in SF for a few years.

[quote=“Alien”]Taipei has nothing on San Francisco weather, food, multiculturalism, cultural and sport opportunities and scenery. If you’re worried about your career, then don’t come here as you may end up staying longer than you anticipated (as most of us have!) and by teaching English you’ll not earn the money you will in SF with it’s higher wages due to cost of living.

The benefits you will receive will be opportunites to travel from here to other overseas destinations as working in the US it’s harder to get time off and it’s far away from everywhere in the world.
You’ll also learn another language unless you’re not into that, and you may meet more interesting people than the ‘same-olds’ in SF (no matter how avant garde they look– and yes, I lived in SF for a few years). You’ll also gain some ‘life’ experience by living abroad rather than getting stuck in a rut with a 9-5 job and taking on a mortgage for thirty years, and then looking back at retirement age wishing you’d had a more colourful life and done certain things in your youth.

Also, depending on your career, you may be able to get some experience here as well, or start an entirely new career. You never know. Cut the umbilical, I’d say. You can always go BACK, if you hate it, or go somewhere else. San Francisco isn’t the centre of the universe, no matter how great a city it is. Just be prepared for the hot and sultry weather if you come in the summer.[/quote]

I lived/worked in San Francisco for several years before coming to teach ESL in Asia and I agree with pretty much everything Alien says here.

Walrus,
You might also consider spending several weeks --as much vacation time as you can get-- in Taiwan and see what it’s like, see what you’re missing, or not missing as the case may be. After a month, maybe you’ll see that Taiwan isn’t anything like you’ve envisioned in your head; and you’ll be glad you didn’t give up your life in San Francisco. Or maybe you’ll realize that Taiwan is just what you

Hi,

Here are my two cents worth. Nothing is secure these days, no matter how stable it seems. I am not a frivilous person at all but I still don’t think a person should give up travelling and experiencing other cultures because of job or career. I don’t know what you do for a living but most things are still there when you return. It may take a little bit to get back in the game but you are still young. Maybe I am a little dramatic but if I was on my death bed I wouldn’t be looking back on my career, even though I love what I do.

I guess one thing is to consider your motive for wanting to move. So when you have those days of “Why am I here?” you can just remind yourself of the reason you came here. I cannot say if Taiwan is your place but this applies to wherever you go. Just have a reason, even if that purpose is just to see some place different.

m

If you love her enough to follow her home, why not just wed her so that she can live in the States? Oops, sorry, you are in the States?

If you love her enough to follow her home, why not just wed her so that she can live in the States? Oops, sorry, you are in the States?[/quote] I’ve thought about this, of course, but it

Thanks all for the replies. I felt silly writing that, because it is just me being confused…I work as a hotel manager, and I know I can get back into it when ever i would come back…I would just lose time. I guess my problem is that I see myself being old…and am concerned about being in the right place at the right time.

I guess I just wonder if doing the teaching thing is worth it, or should i just travel. Anyone ever see TV show Mad about you? There was an episode where the main character (who is married and happy with normal life in NY) meets a old friend who has been traveling the world with no cares, living in different places, meeting different people. As fun as it was he seemed to miss building relationships, starting a family and the feeling of a “home” of his own. each man felt envious of the other, as the married guy imagined the fun of traveling, meeting people (and girls) etc…
So that’s what I think of, I know each side has it’s advantages…but which is right for me? I can see myself meeting a nice girl in Taiwan but is it the place i want to settle? I know it’s all silly…it’s just what’s in my head. Someone gave good advice about visiting first…maybe that’s my answer. (although more expensive than i’d wish…)

Just go to Taiwan for a short vacation to see if you like it or not. While you are there, maybe you can meet up w/ some of the posters and they might be able to share some of their stories with you.

Life is short so enjoy it while you can!!

[quote=“IamtheWalrus”]Thanks all for the replies. I felt silly writing that, because it is just me being confused…I work as a hotel manager, and I know I can get back into it when ever I would come back…I would just lose time. I guess my problem is that I see myself being old…and am concerned about being in the right place at the right time.

I guess I just wonder if doing the teaching thing is worth it, or should I just travel. Anyone ever see TV show Mad about you? There was an episode where the main character (who is married and happy with normal life in NY) meets a old friend who has been traveling the world with no cares, living in different places, meeting different people. As fun as it was he seemed to miss building relationships, starting a family and the feeling of a “home” of his own. each man felt envious of the other, as the married guy imagined the fun of traveling, meeting people (and girls) etc…
So that’s what I think of, I know each side has it’s advantages…but which is right for me? I can see myself meeting a nice girl in Taiwan but is it the place I want to settle? I know it’s all silly…it’s just what’s in my head. Someone gave good advice about visiting first…maybe that’s my answer. (although more expensive than I’d wish…)[/quote]

Old??? You??? Geez, I must be decrepit…I tossed away a thriving career because I got tired of the B.S. and came back for round 2 (first round was supposed to be six months, but lasted seven years…this time, into the third year). It really depends on what you want, if you are looking for a place for a year or two, I dunno…it takes a year or two for most people to get over the culture shock, and some never do (see lots of posts on this board :wink: )…those of us who do end up prefering here to Seattle, or Denver, or Minneapolis :slight_smile:.

Then again, as I type this, I have an office full of kids screaming at the top of their lungs and I am wondering what EVER posessed me to open a funny farm called a school, :laughing:.

Got to the teaching in Taiwan forum here and view the sticky at the very top with the resource pages. Read all the resource pages. Decide yourself.

Coming here for a few weeks to taste the life is not a good idea unless you talk to some long-termers. Most foreigners develop highly erroneous impressions of Taiwan on a short visit here.

IMHO do not leave your career in the US and come here. That would be a gross error.

Vorkosigan

I-am-the-Walrus,

I think you should find out that you like teaching before you come here. Some people like it, others hate it; many muddle through because they don’t have any other options.

Perhaps you can do a part-time TEFL course; this will give you practical classroom experience and you’ll get an idea if you have any talent for teaching and whether it’s your cup of tea. Or find some volunteer teaching work.

No offense to everyone who has given you two (Walrus & Danimal) advice, but whether Taiwan is for you is something only you can decide. I moved here because my bf couldn’t find a job in the US and his student visa was expiring so he had to move back (he didn’t want to). I decided our relationship was too special to end, just because of him needing to move half-way around the world. So, at 33, I quit my job and moved here with him.

My life here over the last 1.5 years has been full of a lot of challenges - language barrier, job issues, attitudes toward gays, (his) family issues, cultural differences, etc… Some on here have told me to just dump him and move back. However, despite the many challenges and the days (weeks?) of depression, homesickness, etc… I still feel it has been worth it to keep the relationship going. And, I’m not ready to give up… I’m still trying to find ways to adjust and make life here a good one. I’m not sure, though, how long I can stay here… it is something I am trying not to obsess about and to take one day at a time for right now.

I say all this to say that each of us is different. We each have different needs, different attitudes, etc… And, therefore, what has worked for one person, may not work for another. What is a good move for one, may not be for another. What is a good choice for one, may not be for another. Only you, really, can decide whether Taiwan is good for you.

Getting advice from people on here is a good first step. But, I think the best suggestion so far was to take as much vacation time as you can (take a leave of absence, if you can) and come to Taiwan temporarily to see how you like it. I came without ever being here before and, if I had to do it again, I probably would do the same thing. I never had any doubt about moving, because I’m a hopeless romantic and love my bf too much. :unamused: However, if you aren’t sure about moving… don’t do so on a more permanent basis until you’ve explored Taiwan more.

Whatever happens, know that it is not an irreversable decision. In most cases living in Taiwan for a year will NOT be a detriment to any career you have. In fact, in many cases, employers will like to see you had an international experience. So, if, after a year, you decide living here is not for you, leave and go home.

Just my NT$2.

Cheers and good luck,

Jonathan aka QuietMountain

The grass is always greener …

As others suggested before me, the best advice is to take a holiday and come and see what Taiwan is like.

If you don’t have that luxury, only resign your job in the States if you really loathe it, are bored, dislike your environment, etc.
Teaching here in Taiwan might be a good way to make some money for a while, but it’s hardly an interesting career.

Right now, the most fashionable thing to do here … is moving to Shanghai. So you might find more interesting opportunities there. China might still be a communist country, but Shanghai is ahead of the pack if it’s a cosmopolitan place you’re looking for.

PS I wouldn’t mind leaving Taipei for, say, San Francisco or Los Angeles :slight_smile: