Is Taiwan in danger of a Chinese invasion?

their take is the “take everything they can with them”…

[quote=“Poagao”]I was wondering when the rush of “Yeah, I’ll be out there on the front lines fighting the commies” comments from foreigners would start.[/quote]Poagao -
See…thats one of the big difference between you and the rest of the islanders here…You have a sense of humor… :bravo:

Well, and how about you citizens? (Don’t get me wrong – a military conflict involving Taiwan is the last thing I’d ever want to see. But it would be interesting to get your take on this if you care to share it.)[/quote]
Well, unlike us, he won’t have the luxury of choice in the matter. Actually, I don’t think we’ll have much choice either – I can’t imagine the authorities being so stupid as to give automatic weapons to a bunch of drug-addled English teachers.

well, I’m in the east coast, at least, I’ll have more time to think about choices…

What? Like swim or wade for it? Not much in the way of choice there I’m afraid.

I am not an English teacher, thank you very much.

I am not an English teacher, thank you very much.[/quote]
Ha! All that scrivening you do about the secret places in Taiwan? they’ll intern YOU at the first sign of trouble lest you become a secret agent leading the red peril through the high mountain passes.

What? Like swim or wade for it? Not much in the way of choice there I’m afraid.[/quote]

Nahhh, the Senkaku Islands aren’t that far away from here… we can go there live with the goats…

Paogoa wrote
“I was wondering when the rush of
‘Yeah, I’ll be out there on the front lines fighting the commies’
comments from foreigners would start.”

Can one of you English teachers explain the total misunderstanding
this man (?) has about the implications of “standing in front
of a firing squad.”

But there is also a ghost chance that you will be hit by an accidental missile as Senkaku is also claimed by China. A safer bet will be Alaska with the Eskimos.

[quote=“ccpcannonfodder”]Poagao wrote
“I was wondering when the rush of
‘Yeah, I’ll be out there on the front lines fighting the commies’
comments from foreigners would start.”

Can one of you English teachers explain the total misunderstanding
this man (?) has about the implications of “standing in front
of a firing squad.”[/quote]

Sorry, I don’t have much experience standing in front of firing squads. But I do often hear foreigners saying things like the above, thus the comment.

But there is also a ghost chance that you will be hit by an accidental missile as Senkaku is also claimed by China. A safer bet will be Alaska with the Eskimos.

–[/quote]

And, of course, that would trigger the third Sino-Japanese War. Then, you have WW3 played here. By then, I’ll be in the beach in my hometown, via Okinawa (or will China also bombard Okinawa?).

Paogao, firing squads is so like yesterday… now they have mobile vans to quickly kill you without nobody watching. Next step will be to put also the incinerator inside the van. The front of the van will be a seat with an uplink to a court room. Also, included, an high tech operating room to quickly remove the organs of the “criminal”, so that the system can afford to pay the vans. This way, police will have to deploy 100K of these vans around China (making it a great contribution for the local car manufacturing companies), to quickly capture, judge, kill, eviscerate and burn to ashes all the suspects of damaging the status of a commodity or things like that.

Beebee:

[quote]The most likely scenarios that’ll happen to Taiwan politics in the next 2 year;

1. Taiwan declare self independence [/quote]

How do you see this happening? Will Chen Shui-bian issue a proclamation shortly before the end of his term? (But that would just be talk.) Will a bill be introduced in the legislature? (Good luck passing it.) Will the DPP organize a referendum? (They could, but would probably lose.)

But let’s say it happens somehow. In that case, I don’t think China could afford to quietly back off–that would be (correctly) perceived as weakness, and also be impossible in the context of their domestic politics. If they were afraid of losing a war, they could steadily amp up a series of aggressive moves designed to force Taiwan to formally repeal its declaration.

I think in his final days in office, CSB will say something to the effect, “CSB declares Taiwan to be an independent and sovereign nation called Democracy and Love Island…”

He will then join the rest of the enlightened Taiwanese and apply for dual citizenship somewhere, while wiring an ungodly amount of money to an off-shore account.

The rest of us will be left scratching our butts wondering what just happened.

well, so good you won’t feel the heat over there will ya?

a.c.
"I think in his final days in office, CSB will say something
to the effect, ‘CSB declares Taiwan to be an independent
and sovereign nation called Democracy and Love Island…’

He will then join the rest of the enlightened Taiwanese and
apply for dual citizenship somewhere, while wiring an ungodly amount
of money to an off-shore account.

The rest of us will be left scratching our butts wondering what just happened"

I can finally visualize you - your left arm is right through your rectum
to the elbow.

Of course not, I’ll be one of the first at the airport mumbling “I told you so.”

a.c.
“Of course not, I’ll be one of the first at the airport mumbling
‘I told you so.’”
You’'re already half way areound the world.
You’ve escaped as far as you can.

[quote=“ac_dropout”]I think in his final days in office, CSB will say something to the effect, “CSB declares Taiwan to be an independent and sovereign nation called Democracy and Love Island…”

He will then join the rest of the enlightened Taiwanese and apply for dual citizenship somewhere, while wiring an ungodly amount of money to an off-shore account.

C’mon… give Chennie some credit. He’s already done the wiring. Now just needs a reason to leave, so he can be with the jet-set in Central America.
He looked ever so manly being led around by a guy while sitting on a horse with a cowboy hat on his latest trip to the “friendlies”. Reminds me of when Deng Xiao-Ping wore a cowboy hat in Houston while sitting in a chuckwagon (if my blurred memory serves me correctly).

"He will then join the rest of the enlightened Taiwanese "

• an obvious reference to the Black Gold KMT!