Is Taiwan really getting 8 billion in aid?

I’ve been asked by Americans back home and after looking around it doesn’t really seem so.
Why does the media make out as if this is all aid for Taiwan when the bill title doesn’t even mention Taiwan?
Maybe I’m misreading things but isn’t this basically funding for submarines for the US Navy?
Here’s some things I’ve found:

And this I think is a basic breakdown of where this 8 billion is going (Taiwan is mentioned 4 times):
Indo-Pacific Security Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2024
https://www.congress.gov/118/bills/hr8036/BILLS-118hr8036ih.xml

And this:

Image from here with more details.

1 Like

I’d like to see Taiwan become a naval ship building hub.

They could import steel from China.

1 Like

Taiwan has a good racket going. It lends billions to the US which then gives billions of the money it borrowed from Taiwan back to Taiwan for free.

Country/territory US foreign-owned debt (January 2023)
Japan $1,104,400,000,000
China $859,400,000,000
United Kingdom $668,300,000,000
Belgium $331,100,000,000
Luxembourg $318,200,000,000
Switzerland $290,500,000,000
The Cayman Islands $285,300,000,000
Canada $254,100,000,000
Ireland $253,400,000,000
Taiwan $234,600,000,000

for weapons? And nothing else meaningful. Doesn’t seem like an amazing “racket” all things considered.

The US is borrowing so much money to stay afloat currently that its national debt is increasing at the rate of a trillion dollars every 100 days now. Giving billions of dollars in aid to a country you’re indebted to is just stupid.

2 Likes

Yes, obviously.

And people have faith in either their intentions or capability. At least they aren’t against death/murder for profit?

You seem to forget the debt is due to products bought or services rendered?
Do we really need to explain this again? It’s not like the US just gives Taiwan money for free?

Sigh.

The Guardian article says Taiwan gets $2 billion.

2 Likes

As long as Taiwan is willing to continue lending the US billions of dollars the US should be able to afford giving Taiwan billions of dollars in aid.

The federal government is on an unsustainable long-term fiscal path that poses serious economic, national security, and social challenges if not addressed. And the longer we wait to act, the more dire the consequences will be on the economy and the public. . . .

Additionally, rising debt increases the risk of a fiscal crisis. If investors lose confidence in American fiscal management, drastic tax increases and cuts to critical spending could ensue.

Taiwan and others.
“Another $2bn of funding in the aid package will go towards the foreign military financing program for Taiwan and other security partners in the Indo-Pacific”.

In the link for the congressional bill it only mentions something about training for Taiwan.

Isn’t the bulk of this 8 billion going for a few submarines for the US navy according to my original links?

1 Like

Define aid.

Maybe it’s just interest :innocent:

Usually this is what happens. The aid goes to American weapons manufacturers to sell to the country the aid was given to. There’s always strings attached.

2 Likes

Paperwork is cheaper than weapons sales. But we all know that’s not the intention of the US.

They could, easily, just support Taiwan officially (along with everyone else)… but that ain’t profitable, just ethical and logical.[quote=“Andrew0409, post:12, topic:239823, full:true”]
Usually this is what happens. The aid goes to American weapons manufacturers to sell to the country the aid was given to. There’s always strings attached.
[/quote]

Yup

1 Like

Not to mention it’s also given to themselves to “sell” used military hardware like fighter jets.

Sometimes we also get mystery boxes :package: :star_struck:

1 Like

They should just send some nuclear warheads here by accident lol

You mean on a B-2 ?