Is Taiwan really ready for hordes of mainland tourists?

As long as they behave better than what they do in HK and Macau, they are welcome. It’s money after all. But guess if they act the same, they might get some trouble with the locals.

said the whore… :laughing:

after being one here in Taiwan, I start to think like them…

I guess I don’t really see the humor. It’s kinda like pointing at the next fat white guy who climbs in the elevator and giggling “I really do believe we will be greeted as liberators”.

Well, ok. Maybe it’s a little funny.

There is no humor because the cult of Lei Feng is a couple dozen years out of date. It’s like Taiwanese impression of the mainland stopped in the 80’s, which of course makes sense, because since then the green guards have been conducting their own cultural revolution behind closed doors.

Yeah…we’ve been noticing all the thousands of bodies of executed KMT members floating down the Danshui River every morning.

Terrible.

Good job for entirely missing the point.

What, that the DPP has sent everyone to the South to pick binlang for reeducation and all people in Blue, Red, Orange or Yellow are to have struggle sessions? Gee, where have I been?!?

But, yes. Some views of ML China are outdated; though you only have to go to the second or third tier cities to find them.

It most certainly is not!

[quote]Lei Feng becomes online game hero
BEIJING, March 16 2006 – Lei Feng is no longer a hero only in real life. He is also the hero of an online video game. To do good deeds, as many as you can, is the trick for passing each level in the online game starring Lei Feng, the Nanfang City Daily said. [/quote]

One hopes its not just about crashing trucks.

With Hu and Wen pushing “nicer” more equitable reforms the good soldier has been dusted off and sent back out on parade. There were some very strong calls for a return to the Lei Feng spirit in the press quite recently.

And don’t forget, March the 5th. Pencil it into your grimy noteback among the shopping lists for the old folks in your village, it’s national Lei Feng Day.

Gee the things we missed by coming to HK.

HG

Dumb! The game is patently satirical. Haven’t you ever played Oregon Trail, where you shoot buffalo (or was it Indians?) to extinction? Does that mean people are still moving by the wagonfull across the American West?

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]
And don’t forget, March the 5th. Pencil it into your grimy noteback among the shopping lists for the old folks in your village, it’s national Lei Feng Day.[/quote]

Should we hang Lei Feng pinatas from telephone poles to celebrate?

I have a feeling, good Doctor, that you will never get that rewarding trip to Tiananmen to see Mao with talk like that!

However, a public pinata could be the fate of poor old Zeugmite lest cctang and cohorts turn him into their local cadre. Still remember how to adopt the “aeroplane position” there Zeug?

[quote]China resurrects Comrade Lei Feng as role model for young
By Jenny Booth and agencies
Help old people across the street, or gently dissuade strangers from swearing and spitting, and you may have a chance of seeing Chairman Mao on Tiananmen Square and even get his autograph.

These are the concepts behind a new online game commissioned by the Chinese government to encourage thrift and polite manners, Xinhua news agency reported today. [/quote]

HG

Are you still on about this? I’ve already explained it pretty clearly with the Oregon Trails analogy, but some people don’t seem to grasp the contextual clues. Look, it’s a multiplayer role playing game. You can be the good guys or the bad guys, so who are you learning from? While you are wasting your time playing the game you certainly aren’t out and about emulating Lei Feng, that’s for sure. It’s a fricking game! Get over it. Nobody emulates Lei Feng in this day and age. If you don’t understand why that is or can’t figure out that a bazillion new slogans get promoted every year as formality, you are too immature to understand Chinese politics.

An interesting twist on an old theme. Cheers! :laughing:

But the fact remains, the leadership is still trotting the good soldier out when it feels the need. Or are you suggesting China’s leaders are not in touch with the people?

You want a blindfold, last smoke?

HG

Lol… look at whom it’s aimed at: children. Next year the role model may be Santa Claus. It’s not hard to be in touch with children.

That’s wonderful - we can keep this old sawhorse going for years to come with future generations - Santa Claus indeed!

Yeah…if it’s not foreigners being too immature, then its the masses being too ignorant for thier own good.

But ever since the Cutural Revolution he’s almost been exclusively aimed at the kiddies.

Until recently . . . now he’s joined the fight against thiose evil doers in the Falun Gong. They might be a bunch of crackpots but I don’t think they deserve an armed assault by the good soldier Feng.

But amazingly, he’s managed to write to us from his grave with his very own weblog.

blog.sina.com.cn/u/42ac6f82010002r2

Mate, don’t go falling out of step with the CCP now, it might be the only party in town, but it is your party. :laughing:

HG

What exactly are we talking about, here?

I don’t see anything to be embarassed in with Lei Feng. Sure, it’s all a little campy and silly. But so what? He’s a more or less fictionalized role model intended to teach good morals to youths. As if the same doesn’t exist in the West? The myth of George Washington and his silly cherry tree… (which was probably cut down by one of his chattle slaves)?

The ability to mock Lei Feng might give some a momentary rush of superiority… but, why? Where does that feeling of superiority come from? What does linking the mainlander you see on the street with Lei Feng actually do for you? Does it mean anything beyond giving the ex-pat voyeur a little thrill, as he gleefully celebrates the fact that he knows a little something about mainland culture?

hey all you lei fung people get off this train :slight_smile::):):slight_smile: this thread is about MC visitors to Taiwan, not about the PAUL BUNYON of China?? or some such??? :slight_smile::):):slight_smile:

lets try to get back on the subject at hand? :smiley:

[quote=“tommy525”]hey all you lei fung people get off this train :slight_smile::):):slight_smile: this thread is about MC visitors to Taiwan, not about the PAUL BUNYON of China?? or some such??? :slight_smile::):):slight_smile:

lets try to get back on the subject at hand? :smiley:[/quote]

No, no, its all relevant. You see, imbued with the spirit of Lei Feng, those mainland shoppers are likely to be stopping errant taxis and blue trucks, mopping the streets of betel nut spit and helping the elderly cross the road.

Its a plus for Taiwan!

HG