Is Taiwan really ready for hordes of mainland tourists?

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”][quote=“tommy525”]hey all you lei fung people get off this train :slight_smile::):):slight_smile: this thread is about MC visitors to Taiwan, not about the PAUL BUNYON of China?? or some such??? :slight_smile::):):slight_smile:

lets try to get back on the subject at hand? :smiley:[/quote]

No, no, its all relevant. You see, imbued with the spirit of Lei Feng, those mainland shoppers are likely to be stopping errant taxis and blue trucks, mopping the streets of betel nut spit and helping the elderly cross the road.

Its a plus for Taiwan!

HG[/quote]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA (rolling on floor laughing)

well, let us hope that we’ll get one at a time helping the elderly, otherwise we might see some broken bones when all the tourists start to help everyone.
So, should we give a whistle, a mop and a stop flag as part of the tourist kit?

My uncle just returned to the States after visiting mainland China for two weeks, his first visit to the mainland since the early 1980’s. He said he was impressed with how China has changed economically since his last visit, especially Shanghai which seems so capitalistic and sophisticated. What was shocking to him though was the manners he encountered. People spitting after clearing their throats loudly, and cutting in line. During a break to the restroom at a restaurant, my uncle was peeing when a man approached him and asked if he could share the same toilet with him as my uncle was peeing. Fortunately my uncle was just about done. It shocked him to see such manners, but my family got a good laugh out of it as he told us what happened.

Hilarious.

well they have started coming already. and causing trouble already. one of them “escaped” AFTER going thru immigration and customs and failed to report for his tour group. He went AWOL but resurfaced only a few hours later when he surrenderd :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: what a laugh !

eventually we have to grant mainland tourists the right to come individually with like a 30 day pass or something. its not feasible to track their movements 24/7 when they are on the island. Nor is it really humane, given that any other tourist is not subject to such abuse! And Taiwanese are not subject to such abuse when in China either.

taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003333259

He probably took a quick look around, saw what a sh*t hole TaoYuan is and realised he was better off back home on the mainland… :laughing:

or maybe because he found out this part of China is not as civilized as the other. Hell man, they pay in dollars over here, what is this???

Maybe he was pissed off at the agency because they will have to stop in 23042089239042347 shops in their 4 day visit to Taiwan. Then he try to make a backpacker visit, but soon found out that visiting all those shops might be a better way of knowing the “true culture” of Taiwan - money, money, money and then some green stuff going around called trees.

I had read initial reports about this in the Chinese press earlier, but didn’t realize how ridiculous it all sounds when all of the details were released. Convicted criminals out on parole only have to check in on an occasional basis; mainland tourists, on the other hand, appear to be monitored on an hourly basis.

well, it is not like the convicted criminals are going to flee to Taiwan…

But I wonder, how is it in the United States?

[quote=“mr_boogie”]well, it is not like the convicted criminals are going to flee to Taiwan…

But I wonder, how is it in the United States?[/quote]

some of the worst offenders have to wear a radio collar for a few months after they are released.

does that mean Chinese tourists are going to have to wear radio collars now??? :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

pretty ridiculous. Check out their backgrounds when they apply for visa and then let them come on their own, no groups needed for up to 30days. end of story

And if there are any sensitive military installations… then protect the installations, like you should be anyways. Keeping everyone with a PRC passport on a tight leash seems like the most idiotic form of “security” possible. As if it’d be very difficult for PRC military intelligence operatives to get into Taiwan on something other than a PRC passport.

And if there are any sensitive military installations… then protect the installations, like you should be anyways. Keeping everyone with a PRC passport on a tight leash seems like the most idiotic form of “security” possible. As if it’d be very difficult for PRC military intelligence operatives to get into Taiwan on something other than a PRC passport.[/quote]

intelligence officers not needed in Taiwan because the MEDIA tell exactly what Taiwan has purchased and when and where they will be installed and in what numbers. hahaha. Who needs intelligence officers??

i got a chuckle from reading recently how some taiwanese govt people are concerned that some mainland tourists have taken a keen interest in the F16s flying out of hualien.

most likely they are common folk who are just interested in seeing the famed fighters that the enemy has. I can imagine a lot of taiwanese would go and gawk at the russian fighters near a chinese airbase if they got the chance.

its stupid to assume they are out for intelligence gathering. I mean whats there to gather??? The exact capability of the F16 is a very well known entity. They need X amount of runway to take off with X amount of munitions, etc. All this can be had by reading JANE’s. China knows exactly the capability of the fighters that Taiwan has. NO need to send spys disguised as tourists to hang around the airbase to count numbers of jets or time their take off or what not??

I mean we live in the 21st century here. Even Red China wont be using 18th century intelligence gathering techniques will they???

HAR HARRR HARRR as they say.

oh ya, and reportedly some 130 or so mainland tourists remain missing on Taiwan. I do wonder what they are doing here? Cooking chinese food in a restaurant? Working in a bar? Muscling Thai workers out of that scaffold? What exactly are they doing ?? Somehow i doubt that a whole lot of them are stationed at the end of taiwans runways counting planes and crows.

are they??

tommy,

Did you see the press reports that regular charter flights + mainland tourists (originally scheduled for the end of this year) are again off the table?

I’m not really surprised. This is a path to which the pan-Greens are ideologically opposed. I hate to say this, but I don’t think there will be any progress on this front while these folks are in power.

[quote=“cctang”]tommy,

Did you see the press reports that regular charter flights + mainland tourists (originally scheduled for the end of this year) are again off the table?

I’m not really surprised. This is a path to which the pan-Greens are ideologically opposed. I hate to say this, but I don’t think there will be any progress on this front while these folks are in power.[/quote]

ya. the blues are saying they will back the arms bill (which the greens are prepared to go for) if the greens will support the passage of bills related to flights to the mainland, etc.

i think this stand will bring results soon

We’ll see; as before, I’m not as optimistic as you. I’m not sure the Green are really interested in making a deal.

I suspect the pan-Greens are content with US pressure focused strictly on the Blues, and don’t mind at all if the Blues continue to visibly block the arms bill. I suspect the Greens aren’t interested enough in the substance of the arms bill that they’d sacrifice their ideology.

But hey, if there’s really significant liberalization of cross-strait tourism policy in the next 6-12 months, I’ll be the first to admit I’m wrong and celebrate the decision.

[quote=“cctang”]We’ll see; as before, I’m not as optimistic as you. I’m not sure the Green are really interested in making a deal.

I suspect the pan-Greens are content with US pressure focused strictly on the Blues, and don’t mind at all if the Blues continue to visibly block the arms bill. I suspect the Greens aren’t interested enough in the substance of the arms bill that they’d sacrifice their ideology.

But hey, if there’s really significant liberalization of cross-strait tourism policy in the next 6-12 months, I’ll be the first to admit I’m wrong and celebrate the decision.[/quote]

then you can get a visa and come on one of those flights and see for yourself whats goin on !! :slight_smile:

The problem is that he might be totally disappointed by what he experiences on Taiwan.

Nah, after reading some of these posts, my expectations aren’t that high. :wink: More seriously, like any proper Chinese, my primary goal would be to eat as much good food as I possibly could… and I’ve heard that Taipei wouldn’t disappoint there.

What do people typically “drink” in Taiwan? How pervasive is baijiu as opposed to beer/table wine? What brands of baijiu? Do you guys get the good mainland stuff? This issue is far more important to me than neat streets!

[quote=“cctang”]Nah, after reading some of these posts, my expectations aren’t that high. :wink: More seriously, like any proper Chinese, my primary goal would be to eat as much good food as I possibly could… and I’ve heard that Taipei wouldn’t disappoint there.

What do people typically “drink” in Taiwan? How pervasive is baijiu as opposed to beer/table wine? What brands of baijiu? Do you guys get the good mainland stuff? This issue is far more important to me than neat streets![/quote]

i think you can get all the mainland liquor in taiwan, thanks to smugglers :slight_smile:

otherwise i think the taiwanese usually drink beer (cuz its cheaper) and sometimes wine. But a lot of shaoshing liquor tho and sake.

ya especially if hes herded around from shop to shop all over taiwan. 4 days around the island, 4 tourist spots and 4000 shops :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

can you imagine the posts we will get here when he returns from such a journey?? HAHAHA.

oh and he better not go missing from his tour group either! Oh but he wont be caught for a long time as the other 130 or so arent either. Just dont try to apply for an english teaching job and an ARC. And make sure he doesnt go sitting around at the end of the runway in hualien either :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: or he could end up on the next Taipei Times.

i honestly think that the mainlanders should apply for a visa (like everyone else) and be subject to a quick personal bio search to weed out the undersirables and then be given a 30 day visa to go to TAiwan on their own , without the group. Unless they WANT to be groupies.

the proposed plans to have mainlanders come only in highly sheparded groups on a fixed tour may end up making more enemies then friends sadly.

on the other hand?? Maybe the Mainlanders will go home happy in the thought that Taiwan is NOT part of CHINA. HAHA, wouldnt that be something?? And they will petition their govt to let Taiwan go. After visiting Taiwans LY (legislative yuan) they may well be happy to be communist.