Is the American defense of Georgia hypocritical?

The Bush Administration has chosen to portray Georgia as a noble democracy victimized by imperial Russia. I don’t think anyone doubts Russia’s expansionist aims, but is Georgia really so innocent? For years Georgia has attempted to force two ethnically distinct regions, South Ossetia and Abkhazia, to remain a part of its territory against their will. And we apparently support Georgian policy in this matter. Does this strike anyone else as hypocritical?

Yes.

Georgia is aligned with the US, while South Ossentia and Abkhazia are aligned with Russia, so there you go.

And I don’t think Russia has an expanionist aim, that just ain’t true.

Whether you think Russia is “expansionist” necessarily depends on what your theoretical baseline is. If the baseline is the old Soviet state, then they’re just re-expanding to fill the former borders. Other than that, they’re not expansionist at all…

[quote=“ABC”]Georgia is aligned with the US, while South Ossentia and Abkhazia are aligned with Russia, so there you go.

And I don’t think Russia has an expanionist aim, that just ain’t true.[/quote]

Perhaps not in the sense of broadening the actual borders of Russia, but certainly in the sense of reasserting Moscow’s influence/control over former members of the Soviet Union/Russian Empire. From a geopolitical perspective, this amounts to virtually the same thing. And of course, this is already the reality in the several countries that are subservient to Moscow and have Russian troops garrisoned on their land.

I felt some pity for the Georgians after I heard about the Russians dousing them with kerosene.

All the US/Israeli-armed and trained Georgia military did was bomb and kill, civilians and Russian peacekeeper soldiers, the latter legally there for 16 years under an international agreement. For what purpose all this if not to incite a Russian intervention?

The only reason the United States did not itself strongly attack the Russian forces is that it’s a pre-eminent principle of American military interventions to not pick on anyone capable of really defending themselves.

It’s beyond me how people can support the muppet at the white house.
Of course he’s running f.all, he’s just reading from the song sheet, but to openly support him, is mental.
If you support him, you support the absolute crap he comes out with.

It’s pure hypocrisy, you only have to read what the goon said:

“Bullying and intimidation are not acceptable ways to conduct foreign policy in the 21st century.”

This is why the USA has no respect throughout the world.
(Got this online):
Singapore’s former UN ambassador observed: “Most of the world is bemused by western moralising on Georgia” … While the western view is that the world “should support the underdog, Georgia, against Russia … most support Russia against the bullying west. The gap between the western narrative and the rest of the world could not be clearer.” And the Washington Post reported: “Saif al-Islam Gaddafi, Libyan leader Moammar Gaddafi’s influential son, echoed the delight expressed in much of the Arab news media. ‘What happened in Georgia is a good sign, one that means America is no longer the sole world power setting the rules of the game … there is a balance in the world now. Russia is resurging, which is good for us, for the entire Middle East’.”

Neo cons can you put two and two together and see the hypocrisy in Bush’s statement?

If you can’t you are beyond saving.
When your pension funds are screwed and your kids (or even you) need to take minimum wage second jobs just to heat your home, don’t complain… your taxes are paying halliburton to rebuild Georgia.

The Georgian president Mikheil Saakashvili, is an American poodle to an extent that would embarrass Tony Blair.

Kosovo is allowed independence. A place run by gangsters, friends with the CIA - the best pirates and drug runners in the world.
But independence of South Ossetia and Abkhazia - of course not.

What will people believe next? The Soviet Union invaded Afghanistan in the 70s (they were invited)?

Well, since US intelligence agrees with Russia’s view of the conflict, I guess my answer would be YES!

[quote]American intelligence confirms that the latest military actions in South Ossetia were started by Georgia and Russia’s position in the conflict was correct, says Republican California Congressman Dana Rohrabacher. He said the situation reminded him of the Bay of Tonkin incident, which the U.S. used as a pretext for beginning the war in Vietnam.
“The Russians are right! We’re wrong! Georgia started it, the Russians ended it,” Rohrabacher said at a hearing in the House of Representatives.[/quote]

Rice has a slightly different view, but still admits the conflict was initiated by Georgia:

[quote]Speaking at an event organised by the German Marshall Fund in Washington, Ms Rice acknowledged that Georgia had fired the first shots in the breakaway region of South Ossetia.

“The Georgian government launched a major military operation into Tskhinvali [the capital of South Ossetia] and other areas of that separatist region,” she said.

“Regrettably, several Russian peacekeepers were killed in the fighting,” she added. [/quote]

Rice criticises ‘isolated’ Russia

Asked: Is the American defense of Georgia hypocritical?

Answered: About as much as fighting for freedom in the Middle East while “detaining” people in Guantanamo Bay.

What defense did America mount for Georgia? Did I miss it?

Is the Pope Catholic? The USA prattles on and on about democracy, but in fact the US definition of democracy is, “they have or control oil”. If they do, the USA could care less about their repressive totalitarian government. Conversely, Taiwan in pissing in the wind if they think the USA will defend them. They’ll mumble something about “Taiwan is not enough of a democracy”. Unless Taiwan discovers oil, the USA will hang them out to dry, no question.

Well, I meant verbal defense. I guess that doesn’t amount to much from the Georgian perspective. :laughing: