Is there a market for programming classes/tutoring in English?

Hello,

I currently work remotely for a USA mobile games company as a software developer, and have since moved to Taiwan to live here with my wife on a marriage ARC (she wants to have kids in Taiwan which means we are probably looking to be here for the next ~1.5-2 years).

An idea I’ve been tossing around is tutoring programming classes in English, but I wasn’t sure if that would have a market here? I do have IBM on my resume, but in order for it to be worth it to switch from my current remote job I’d probably need at least 15-20 hours a week at ~1000-1500NTD/hr

I do have quite a bit of interest in teaching and think that it would be [personally] rewarding, though don’t have any existing teaching experience (other than some mentorship of interns at my current company). I’m also hoping that it would improve my public speaking ability which I think needs some work.

Thanks guys! Hopefully this doesn’t sound too naive (and the answer will probably be “just try it and see what happens”) :slight_smile:

2 Likes

yes, there is something in Taiwan call buxiban where parents send their kids all day after the school till they finish work, there you can teach programming in english. That the most easy way. To teach progamming at the school or Uni I don’t have idea.

I doubt you can find a buxiban that is willing to pay such rates. They can find Taiwanese graduates who speak Chinese and are happy with 400$/hr

@justinram11
You should look into some larger foreign companies/startups that are loaded with funding. They hire foreigners who do not speak Chinese in contrast to many local companies and are more willing to pay higher rates if you have good credentials.

Okay I remember I saw one post for English programming class, so is gonna be closer. If he wants to teach and not work for a companie.