Is there an equivalent of Chipotle here in Taipei?

Based on google, I think the consensus is no but would love to see if there is a place that serves DIY burritos or atleast a decent burrito on the go (vs sit down).

I would say since the demise of King Burrito, the answer in March 2024 would be “no.”

I’d be delighted to hear otherwise however . . .

Guy

2 Likes

I see this place is still alive and seemingly well

1 Like

Nala has its fans. It’s location close to Revolver provides a steady stream of folks looking for munchies while out drinking.

HOWEVER: while the Nala folks are certainly nice people, unless they have significantly upped their game (example: if they have stopped using the classic Vietnamese hot sauce in lieu of proper Mexican salsas), this joint will not fully satisfy anyone who has lived in California or other places where burritos are taken seriously. Unless I suppose one is drunk enough not to notice . . .

Guy

2 Likes

Nala is still open? I thought the owner moved away? I really liked it but I think it was years ago now.

El Sabroso seems well liked. It’s certainly not authentic Mexican, very much US styled. But they are pretty decent from what I have heard.

Not sure about burritos. But these are my current top 2 mexican food places in Taipei

Teotihuacán

Fonda Mexico

I enjoyed both quite a lot.

Fonda is a legit sit-down Mexican place with an actual Mexican chef in the kitchen.

It has little to no connection to US-style Chipotle food as per the topic of this thread.

Guy

1 Like

Unfortunately Taiwan’s never been big on burrito so your only choice for DIY burrito is in your kitchen if you have one.

Isn’t chipotle smoked red jalapeno? Those are imported here, probably even available locally by now. Anyway, I was just referring to burritos then Mexican. Sabroso is an American style burrito place with little seating and loads of take out :slight_smile:

Granted, fonda I didn’t notice burrito options, we had the tacos. Hence it being an aside for good Mexican. Just an aside :slight_smile:

I looked it up and I think they’re referring to a chain of US restaurants.

2 Likes

Chipotle is one of the most popular of the fast casual chains that have popped up in the US over the last couple decades. Fast casual is characterized by healthier ingredients and slightly higher prices than regular fast food.

Chipotle is like subway where you pick your own ingredients and they make a burrito, rice bowl or taco for you. I have not seen that here but there are Mexican places with burritos, tacos and rice bowls.

Some others to add to the list that have Chipotle like offerings.

Macho Tacos

AJ Taco - did not have high expectations for this place but surprisingly good.

RJK - going out of business soon

3 Likes

Ohhh. This one? It is in taiwan?

No there’s not. That’s why the original poster asked if there is something similar here.

Guy

1 Like

It’s like asking if there are all you can eat hot pot in Germany. I’ve never managed to find any hot pot restaurant there, much less an all you can eat one.

What do you think might happen if you googled hot pot restaurants in Germany?

Sorry, bad example. Maybe google if a specific hot pot chain exists in Germany.

OK, that’s more specific. I can’t find a specific hot pot chain in Germany

I found an all you can eat place, though.

I have been to an all you can eat Chinese buffet in Berlin. It was like 12 euros, and their soup is HOT (just so you know Germans do not eat spicy food at all, anything more spicy than the sauce they put on oyster omlettes is considered too spicy by many Germans).

It wasn’t hot pot though, it was just American style Chinese food.

We have something vaguely similar in Xindian, in terms of semi healthy wraps for which you can pick and choose ingredients (also on Uber Panda):

1 Like

My recommendation is to roll your own. Get some flour tortillas from Florida bakery, prepare ingredients and assemble. Eat what you want and wrap the others up for the freezer. Great microwave food or in an oven or toasted in a skillet. I assemble and freeze them because I have no chance in eating all the tortillas before they’re old.

4 Likes