Is there any student whom you like or dislike?

I am a Taiwanese student and I am going to start writing a paper which realtes to students’ behaviors in ELS classes. Would you please share me with your opinions about the students you like or dislike. And why ? Thank you very much.

I like students that attempt to communicate at any level.

I dislike students that wait to be spoon-fed the answer, students that don’t speak at all, students that speak at a whisper, and students that answer questions with a one-word answer. Not surprisingly, the students that have these bad habits in English usually have them in Chinese as well.

I can only think of one student I truly didn’t like when I taught kindy years ago. He was far too advanced in his English skills for the class, and ended up disrupting the class out of boredom. Yet the school wouldn’t put him in the advanced class where he belonged, at the behest of his parents. It wasn’t his fault that I didn’t like him; it was the school’s fault for caring more about the parents’ wishes than the kid’s needs.

When teaching adult classes, the students I didn’t like were the ones who would not apply themselves: they never did homework assignments, and would not speak up in class.

The ones I liked best were the ones who spoke up in class, even if their English skills were poor.

[quote=“Maoman”]
I dislike students that wait to be spoon-fed the answer, students that don’t speak at all, students that speak at a whisper, and students that answer questions with a one-word answer. Not surprisingly, the students that have these bad habits in English usually have them in Chinese as well.[/quote]
This pretty much sums it up. As long as a student tries they’ll have my respect, but a student who sits like a stone without saying a word drives me crazy!

[quote=“barfomcgee”][quote=“Maoman”]
I dislike students that wait to be spoon-fed the answer, students that don’t speak at all, students that speak at a whisper, and students that answer questions with a one-word answer. Not surprisingly, the students that have these bad habits in English usually have them in Chinese as well.[/quote]
This pretty much sums it up. As long as a student tries they’ll have my respect, but a student who sits like a stone without saying a word drives me crazy![/quote]

Yep, we like talkers; dislike stoners.

I really like talkers that have original thoughts.

Say for instance, I ask, “Why is spring your favorite season?”
And the student says in a robotic voice, “Because it is not too hot or too cold.” I don’t like that.

OR

If you’re talking to someone that hasn’t been a student for years, and you ask them, “What do you do?”
They say (again in a robotic voice), “I am a student.”
Because that was the answer they were taught when they were students studying English. I don’t like that either.

Basically, what Maoman said!

In addition:

I like students who try to use what language skills they already have to try to communicate, rather than resorting to their native language.

I like students who do their part; even if someone isn’t the sharpest knife in the drawer, I will happily give him or her extra help if I know something will come of it.

I like students who make mistakes and LEARN from them, and who really WANT to learn.

I love students with a sharp wit, who are willing (and able) to use it in a second language.

I dislike students who think that because they pay me a lot of money, I can magically learn English FOR them, with them merely showing up for the lessons.

I dislike students who try to monopolize the class (and me).

I dislike students who make the same mistakes again and again in spite of repeated reminders (especially adults and secondary school students). I know it’s not their fault; they’ve likely been conditioned to speak that way.

I dislike students who just plain don’t care and are simply “learning” English because someone told them they had to.

Do you actually “care” why spring is their favorite season?

Do you actually “care” why spring is their favorite season?[/quote]

Bob, you have the key to language teaching.

Thanks BC. Feel I am getting closer, especially recently.

aka ‘ask a stupid question…’

Even if it’s a robotic, standard reply, at least they are trying. In addition, they might have been trained to always respond “I’m a student” in class, even if they are a professional now, but that’s just their identity in class.

For example, in my Japanese class (and my MA courses as well), I identify as being a student. 僕は学生ですよ!However, I identify with being a teacher during the classes I teach. I’m your teacher, so stop bitching now! Then outside of class, I just identify as being a gamer and most of my students know this…>.>’’

Also, about the “Why do you like spring?” “because it’s not too hot or too cold” response…teaching automated responses like this are not bad, so long as the student understands the general meaning. It’s called a ‘gambit,’ but I’m going to assume you know this since you’re an EFL teacher I presume.

There’s research going on that supports using gambits in an EFL context to help students acquire the FL quicker.

Students I dislike:
One’s that constantly put down other students, even if they are using the FL. Or lazy ones who expect to know everything just by me teaching without doing any work.

Students I like:
One’s that show genuine effort to progress, or try to use the language, no matter how good or bad their actual performance is.

‘Research’, you say? :laughing:

Yes, I said research.

I see. Research into ‘gambits’. Jolly good.

Just like any EFL/ESL research. Loads of jolly good fun. I wish there was a smiley of someone shooting his own head out >.>

I disabled smilies. Fill yer boots, though.

With lead? Anyday ^^

Maybe I didn’t express myself so well.
Let me quote myself. I said,

“I really like talkers that have original thoughts.”

So, for those who have been teaching in Taiwan for a while, “Spring is not too hot or too cold.” is a very predictable response.

It’s not that I REALLY care so much about why they like spring. I am a little happy that the student answered in a complete and grammatically correct sentence. However, if the student says something I haven’t heard a million times before, I REALLY like that.

Say a student says,
“I like hiking/baseball/gardening/going to the beach/biking etc. and spring is the best time of year for those.”
GREAT!

And if his/her partner can ask a couple of good follow-up questions (Really? Where do you go biking?), I like that student, too.

At that point, students are in a conversation. Once they are trained/able to ask extra questions (FUQs), a class gets very interesting for students AND teachers.

If “Why do you like spring?” has become an opening gambit and “Because it is not too hot and not too cold” has become an automated response it is because teachers have “taught” the goddammed thing. There is no way that such an inanity would arise out of spontaneous interaction. Most people here are boring and weird to talk to because they were literally “taught” to talk like half wit robots.

You have to cut them some slack on that one, spring in taipei is about like winter in the sahara desert.