Is there discrimination here? Is it a concern?

Love isn’t always enough. There are always practical matters to be considered when it comes to marriage, raising a family, etc.

But look at it from the other perspective: is every country supposed to bend to the will of foreigners who want the country to behave a certain way, implement certain kinds of rules, etc.

Isn’t that a form of oppression too?

3 Likes

I don’t think asking to NOT be pointed at and verbally and vocally singled out in public is too much to ask. Let alone the banking, housing, property ownership and residency discriminations

2 Likes

But realistically, it is. That’s a thing that will never change there. Mei Ban Fa. You either have to make peace with it or leave.

Not oppression per se but it’s definitely an attitude of entitlement, you’re right there.

I haven’t seen that this is common in Taiwan but at the end of the day, you’re in for a lot of angst if you have thin skin and decide to live abroad.

Living abroad isn’t for everyone. No matter where you go in the world, you will always be “othered” as a foreigner. Sure, the ways in which you are “othered” will vary from place to place, and it might not rise to the level of discrimination, but if you can’t deal with the fact that you’re going to be different and likely won’t receive the same treatment and have the same rights as citizens, perhaps living abroad isn’t for you.

I’m not thin skinned. But 18 years is 18 years.

I moved back 9 years ago. And I was rather successful in Taiwan. And I had a TON of fun and met and kept a lot of great friends.

So then why not accept it for what it is? You came, you stayed for a while, you had fun, and then when it was no longer enjoyable, you left.

Did Taiwan owe you anything more than that?

2 Likes

I dont think it’s about that is it? Either one feels wronged unfairly or one doesn’t. The outcome shouldn’t determine the moral or ethical realities, should it?

Many western foreigners are also temporary. It’s fine if you’re not trying to settle. Few years here, few years in Korea, few years in Vietnam etc…

2 Likes

I don’t understand the advice to accept a situation that is wrong without trying to change it. I understand that the OP’s suggestion might not be too effective by itself, and I even agree that as far as discrimination goes globally, Westerners in Taiwan probably don’t have it that bad. But I also see how advocating for improvements would be harmful. I really would like to see reciprocity in citizenship regulations, for example. Maybe not possible, but I don’t see how it would hurt to bring up the issue with my US representatives. I certainly would not try to stop my wife from fighting for equal treatment here if she encountered discriminatory policies in banking, work, etc.

1 Like

I love the advice here.

'You should accept and not try to bend the country to your demands. ’

Tell that to Saudi Women trying to simply DRIVE.

There is no room for discrimination. My ability to be a member of society is not at other people’s expense.

5 Likes

There’s a lot of Sanchong syndrome in this thread methinks :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I kinda sorta disagree, but I like the term “Sanchong Syndrome”. Sounds like a movie title.

1 Like

But just because you feel “wronged unfairly” doesn’t mean that there isn’t another side. Is every country you go to supposed to change if you don’t like something?

Taiwan isn’t your country. You’re not Taiwanese. You chose to make Taiwan your home for 18 years and by your own account, those 18 years treated you pretty well.

Taiwan didn’t owe you anything. Hell, life doesn’t owe any of us anything.

2 Likes

You’re wrong. Every person is owed basic human rights. This includes the freedom from discrimination.

If Taiwan doesn’t want dual citizens. Then they should end it for everyone equally.

4 Likes

I know a few who left partially/largely because of this reason also. Even if they left with citizenship they would be able to pick back up here much more easily.

This.

To be honest it’s the most insulting part of the process. You apply and they judge if you’re worthy on a bar that’s nearly impossible to reach unless you were Mother Teresa

5 Likes

Out of curiosity, where did they go to that they felt afforded them more freedom? And what did they find there?

Citizenship in a country of your choosing is not a basic human right.

And your previous reference to Saudi women is kind of insulting. Those women are citizens of Saudi Arabia and were denied the ability to engage in basic activities that would have given them a basic level of independence.

Not being able to come into Taiwan as a foreigner and open a bank account as easily as a citizen is not anywhere close to the same thing.

5 Likes

Listen, I’m not lightweight. However we are talking about something more moral than just MY personal anecdotes, yeah?

Did they? My success wasn’t determined by the constant marginalization.

That’s why some of us take it, bruh.

NOt being able to get a credit card in my name bc I’m American kinda is.

2 Likes