Is this traffic violation appeal-able?

Any advice would be appreciated.

I don’t know. I think in the states camera violations are summarily dismissed because a cop is supposed to be there to issue the violation and tell you exactly what you did wrong, but probably not in Taiwan.

Violation appears to be that the lane is a turn lane and the black car didn’t left turn, but instead went into that right lane where the dashed line is. Probably not appealable.

Without a timestamp I can’t tell the sequence of event. A video or dashcam would be more helpful. If you’re going to appeal this have those ready.

The road design looks confusing. What’s behind the camera?

Sequence of events is numbered 1,2,3 in the bottom left corner of the photos.

This is the location:

Driver is unable to read Chinese. The right turn only lane was a bit ambiguous, he thought it was for the small alley (Alley 34, Lane 280, Daxing Road).

Was this violation issued by AI monitoring the cameras?

Also, when he realized he needed to go right, the driver did so at the dotted line rather than the double white lines.

I didn’t know the US spoke Chinese.

1 Like

I bet they probably use AI for stuff like this. Saves a lot of manpower.

But what’s the worst that can happen if you don’t pay the fine? Just that you can’t renew your registration… it’s not like they’re going to issue a warrant or anything.

It could balloon to a bigger sum until it becomes a court order to pay…or else.

But there is no intention to not pay, just get a reduction or waiver of the fine.

If you want to appeal it though, you should have dash cam and any supporting evidence with you. But I am not sure if not understanding Chinese is an excuse in their eyes, maybe up to the judge?

How much is the fine?

The driver doesn’t seem to be wrongfully charged with the violation. What are you trying to appeal?

NT$600.

Unfortunately it happened too long ago for there to be any footage saved. The fine arrived in the post and the dash cam gets overwritten after a few days.

I’d say just pay the fine… it’s not like you got any evidence to disprove the violation and it would likely cost you more time and gas money to appeal it. Fact that you’re driving a car means 600nt is probably not that big of a deal. Just be more careful next time and follow traffic rules.

Not knowing Chinese is likely going to be seen as “ignorance of the law is not an excuse”.

In mitigation some factors should be taken into account: he was unfamiliar with the junction, doesn’t know Chinese, thought the right turn lane was for the alley and not the main road, etc.

The driver will probably spend a lot more time on the appeal process (with uncertain outcome) than he/she would save in case of successful appeal.

1 Like

I don’t know about Taiwan, but in my country these are excuses and not valid reasons. Back home you may only appeal if you were wrongfully charged, or if traffic signs/markings were not properly displayed according to standards.

Not to mention there aren’t even any Chinese words in that intersection, so not knowing Chinese is irrelevant.

Also the white dashed line means something, and so not knowing Chinese is just excuses.

1 Like

The Chinese painted on the road with the arrows presumably are the names of the roads the lanes are intended to filter cars to, something a driver who is unfamiliar with Chinese cannot understand.

Which picture are you looking at? I don’t see any Chinese painted on the road.

Dotted white lines painted within intersections are turn guidance lines. You are not allowed to cross them, as that would be considered a lane-change. Lane changes are not allowed in intersections.

(lane change in intersections at DuckDuckGo)

When it comes to changing lanes at an intersection, many believe it is illegal, but in fact in many cases it is legal to do so, as long as you do it safely.

In most states, changing lanes while driving through an intersection is perfectly legal. That’s right; you can switch lanes even when the roads cross paths.

Disclaimer: Ofc TW is not the USA.

It’s further up the road before the intersection in question.