Is Xi Really That Bad?

Life is always trade off. We drive cautiously cause mistakes cost a lot. An average car cost like 5000 euros per year. Multiple this by 40 years and you get 200k.

You can create generational wealth in Taiwan, all you have to do, is drive scooter

Generational wealth would be more if you could actually have higher income in Taiwan. This is really hard to do because wages are so low.

Which is great, because that’s how wealth in Taiwan is measured. :bomb:

Actually you want generational wealth just take the MRT.

Alpha male rides scooter, MRT is for kids, women and elders

1 Like

Yea, sorry but having your own vehicle is expensive. Even youbike is so cheap it makes no financial sense to have your own bike. The inner tube, tire, and supplies would allow you to ride you bike for many hours.

At least Taiwan’s attempting to care for their own people, I wish America did the same instead of only catering to lobbyists and cronies.

America was a great country in the 80s, it went downhill since.

I’ve had my own bike for 4 years and have never had to do anything but get the tire pressure re-inflated once a month, which bike shops here do for free. Unless you’re riding in the Tour De France, most bikes require next to zero maintenance.

If you ride your bike about 100km a week which is not hard to do, you’ll need new tires eventually. But anyways youbike is so cheap it makes no sense to own them… And with the 1280 ticket it’s included too.

100km a week is almost 15km a day… every day.

“Not hard to do”… What are you kidding? Maybe I ride mine 10km a week. Like I said, unless you’re a competitive cyclist, maintaining it shouldn’t be an issue.

Back when I lived in Shilin I lived next to the riverside, and I biked all over it. Biking 15km on the river path isn’t hard at all.

ONCE in a while I can see myself doing that. Maybe more like 10, rather than 15.

But 10 every day? I have a job, kids and other things to take care of during the day. I just ride mine back and forth from work, which is about a km each way.

1 Like

I think my wife was saying China is not safe for her

Good to know. Never a good idea to make general assumptions.

Yes, that bad. many companies, people and ventures are completely fucked due to corruption. Maybe not Xi, let’s say CCP. loads of comanpanies here that do business there are out of business or in jail because of their bullshit. We are also done with that country due to the vast corruption and lack of law and standards. nevermind human human rights. also, neverwmind western media. frankly, nevermind any media. they are all usually bias. when people do things via experience vs reading a story, their perspectives are often vastly different.

I think I’d be personally safe if I visited China, but I just have zero interest. I went to Shanghai once and I thought the architecture and food was great, but the people were pushy and cold for the most part. There’s only two reasons I’d want to visit Beijing, and that’s to try the authentic Peking duck and to check out the Forbidden City and neither interesting distraction is enough to justify going to that fucked up place.*

(*- and while technically part of China now, I still don’t include Hong Kong and Macau because most of the people (especially in HK) hate Chinese rule)

I also want to say there are some great international students from China that have done study abroad at my uni, but I think coming to Taiwan in the first place means they must have some degree of open mindedness. I’m surprised asshole Xi is still letting them study here.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Well, I teach half a dozen spread across my various classes… so there’s still a few getting through the cracks.

I did skim the article. Was a bit surprised that the DPP seems as much to blame as the CCP for the huge decline in cross-strait students… I guess they have their security-related reasons, although I find it hard to believe these smiley, often ditzy 18 and 19 year olds are secret spies (and what secret info could they attain through attending our unis anyway?). It’s a shame that the 99% of normal students who just want to study in a more open and free environment are the collateral costs of these policies.

1 Like

I have a couple from Hong Kong, that’s it

Xi seems to have lost a lot of traction after the World Cup COVID protests a few months ago.

I wouldn’t worry about him too much.

His rhetoric has toned down substantially, and he’s back to doing his Kind Grandfather act.

This is a good sign. Whether he’s sincere or not, it seems to show he’s not using too much escalatory language any more.

Now, before anyone goes, “Wtf, HHC, there’s a big drama in the South China sea right now” -

Well. Uhh, Yeah.

There’s always some drama in the South China sea… Anyone who has been in Taiwan for over 3 to 5 years has seen these stories come and go in waves.

So screw it…

Let’s switch off the damn news and go live our lives.

I doubt either Biden or Xi are anywhere near any true levers of power.

It’s not the politicians anyway…

It’s the handlers and factions behind them…

I think the hardliners were edged out after the COVID protests.

We will never know their names.

So go be happy.

WIII has been cancelled due to lack of interest.

Peace.

The US States have been ramping up policing and surveillance of Chinese (CCP) activities within their borders. So it’s kind of less a worry. There’s also little chance any real subversion can take place as they aren’t established. The potential to earn usually dampens any CCP bonuses any of them might stumble upon. A few more visits from Thai and the FBI should have most of the pro CCP Chinese fairly well documented.