Is Xi Really That Bad?

If you want to visit China, just go.

Why worry about shit you have no control over anyways? Is Xi really THAT bad? All we seen from “china bad” is from the western media, and it’s all “yes but” that doesn’t apply to the vast majority of us.

Are you planning on going to China and oppose the government, or just there to eat some good spicy food?

Once WW3 ends there won’t be any good food out there.

I think you replied to me by mistake. I’m not the one who wants to go to China.

1 Like

None of us does. You, me, milker. Been there done that

Maybe we should try to go to china instead of taking the media’s words for it?

Want to know if muslims are being put in prison? go see for yourself.

How about you go if you want to go? I’ve already made my stance clear.

4 Likes

American media is not ‘western media’

Less biased western media is generally more along the lines of ‘Xi/China did this, what do you the people think?’

I do not agree with CCP ideology particularly their international relations and silencing of ethnic minorities. But they have done incredible things, pulling the majority of their enormous population out of poverty is no easy feat and worth of congratulations, regardless of your political stance.

In many ways the CCP have done better than the US particularly but also other modern democracies, but their methods questionable.

2 Likes

I’m hoping he’s not as stupid as Putin.

2 Likes

Unfortunately they both seem to have surrounded themselves with advisors who will tell them what they want to hear - so regardless of intelligence, both dictators will act based on seriously distorted information.

3 Likes

The “western media” did not carry out military drills around Taiwan. “Western media” does not try to subjugate Taiwan by force. These are clear actions taken by the CCP reported by literally every single outlet, western or otherwise. I don’t need to see more. The rest can all be lies or truth and none of it will make a difference in my stance. I’m not going to fill their pockets with my hard win cash. I’m not gonna empower them in their efforts.

8 Likes

Most of us have been there, I’ve been there more times than I care to recall. Have you?

3 Likes

I’vw been there dozens of times too.
But its been a few years. Would like to visit some scenic spots.

1 Like

Because if China is carrying out mass incarceration they’re going to let you visit the prisons / camps to see, or the people not incarcerated are going to feel comfortable with a rando to tell them what’s going on?

1 Like

And because somehow America doesn’t carry out mass incarcerations with certain minorities, and the government and the people is totally fine with that?

1 Like

The US certainly has issues, but that’s a false equivalency.

6 Likes

Both governments claim that they are incarcerating criminals.

Both governments claim that the incarceration is for reeducation, but we know that the US makes zero attempts to reeducate anyone in prison, given the extremely high recidivism rate (70 to 80% depending on where you look) and how the US government(s) put roadblocks against ex-con to keep them from getting jobs, housing, etc. which means they have little choice but to turn back to crime.

I don’t personally know what attempts China makes to reeducate those who ends up in prison. Some in depth research is needed and even if I do find their statistic on recidivism or lack of it, many will say official stats from China is fake.

What I DO know is that China makes no claim that it is a free country, or what rights you have. So you go into China knowing that there are rules, and nothing is off the table when it comes to rules. The state can prohibit you from association, from joining certain religions, from saying certain things (that are not fighting words or any unprotected speech). The state can also monitor any and all communications as well as prohibit you from watching certain contents, websites, and have systems in place to enforce that.

We also know that the US does all of these, yet the US claims that all people have certain rights, outlined in their constitution, yet in practice they are routinely ignored by Congress or the government in general when it suits them. We also know the US has questionable election system or laws that favors incumbents, as well as a two party system that are not really opposed to each other.

This means a layperson (as in someone who isn’t a lawyer or studies US government) goes into the US believing that they have all these rights, when in fact the government either currently allows certain rights, or that the person is simply not on their radar. However once you are on their radar, and if the wrong person were annoyed (not pissed, just annoyed), there are enough laws in the books that the person can be summarily arrested and/or deported after serving a sentence.

That same person will go into China knowing that there are no real rights except for what the government currently allows, and will act carefully in order to avoid triggering the wrong person and saying the wrong thing. He might actually have better success in avoiding the government’s radar.

So you decide which is worse…

More nonsense. I’ll just pick a couple here and there…

nope

No, we don’t know that. The US can prohibit you from joining certain religions? Which ones can’t I join? What “not fighting words or any unprotected speech” can’t I say?

Yea man, like if you totally break federal firearms law after being deported but then let back in, totally unfair to deport you. :roll_eyes:

China. Definitely China.

7 Likes

What kind of dumb thread….?

If you’re a party elite in Beijing, no he’s not that bad. If you’re a Taiwanese person just trying to raise your family in a safe and stable environment
and not wanting to worry about being bombed or “re-educated” one day in the not so distant future… yeah, he fucking sucks.

8 Likes

I feel like TL took our advice to get a side job, but unfortunately said fuck those fuckers, I’ll show them and got a job as wumao. :laughing:

6 Likes

Party members are under more scrutiny than anyone else by the way. In fact there is a special police that can ONLY police party members, and they deal with corruption. They have no power over non party members. Even in the book 1984 non party members are under far fewer restrictions than party members (Winston was a Ingsoc member, he works at the ministry of truth for crying out loud). In the book it talks about proles (meaning those who aren’t party members) being able to do stuff that Winston would get in trouble for doing. Higher party officials might be able to get away with more (such as O’Brien being able to turn off the telescreen for a few moments) but it doesn’t mean they’re not under scrutiny.

That’s because Congress has not CURRENTLY passed a law, but there’s a pesky law called the US Patriot act where they can deem certain groups as terrorist groups, and if you are part of it, all bets are off. That it’s a religious group has nothing to do with anything.

Laws that are 100% unconstitutional, but Congress passed a law criminalizing it.

I disagree. Both countries are roughly the same. At least China has better access to healthcare (as in more affordable) than America, so that’s one point for China. Also China isn’t experiencing rampant inflation (and we’d know if this happens, it would be all over the news, CCP can’t hide that one), nor does China have rampant homelessness, mass shootings, “no go zones” (you can figure out what that means), rampant crime, etc…

China is exactly that right now.

By whom? America? Seriously doubt China is bombing their own country.

I wish I was getting paid for this shit… You can look at my paypal account, WeChat log, Alipay log (this is how Chinese pays for shit anyways), bank account, etc. and I challenge you to find ANY payment from China.

I will post all of that if you really want to know.

Only international payment I got coming is from a translation agency, who is based on Egypt. In fact the bank they send from is called an Islamic bank… remember China is putting Muslims in prison to reeducate them. But that’s for translation work I did… and it doesn’t pay all that well either (nor do I get a ton of volume).

No no, answer the question - what religion can’t I join?

Oh. Are you a qualified constitutional scholar (just, you no, never studied it or have any qualifications)? :wink: More seriously what ruling established that the law was unconstitutional? Anybody even challenge it?

1 Like