Is your kid in Public Elementary School?

Is your child or children enrolled in a public elementary school, in Grade 1 thru 3?

How much homework is there per week, on average? Can your kid handle it, ot does it seem like a lot? How is the actual workload? Is your child interested or bored?

I’m just curious as my son will be entering Grade 1 (1st Grade) in about a year, and I am not sure what to expect. Any advice or comments you may have would help me figure things out.

Cheers,

CuriousMan

Jdson goes into first grade in September.

I fear more for the school.

Oh my god, I have a kid?! :astonished:

stupidity deleted

[quote=“TheGingerMan”]Is your child or children enrolled in a public elementary school, in Grade 1 through 3?

How much homework is there per week, on average? Can your kid handle it, ot does it seem like a lot? How is the actual workload? Is your child interested or bored?

I’m just curious as my son will be entering Grade 1 (1st Grade) in about a year, and I am not sure what to expect. Any advice or comments you may have would help me figure things out.

Cheers,

CuriousMan[/quote]
You can expect a lot of homework in general, when my son was in 1st and 2nd Grade I realized the load of homework was unbalievable, after talking to the teacher though she reduced his homework a lot. So, I guess that can be arranged if you’re lucky enough to be in a good school with a good teacher.
My son is mostly doing homeschooling now. His life is much easier as a result of it.
Good Luck

the chieflette has been in first grade since September.
The homework load ain’t too bad, but yeah, she’s pretty much bored shitless.

I teach your children. I give them homework. Be nice to me.

One daughter in Yr 1 last year - 1-2 hours per day, if actually focussed on - could expand to many more hours if dawdled through. Most of it done at Anxinban before getting home.
This year daughter #2 in Yr 1 and she seems to have a LOT more than what I remember from last year. Probably has something to do with teacher’s attiitude. For instance at the end of semester only 3 students in the class achieved 100% in the Mandarin exam. Subsequently teacher has been pouring on the homework to get the class up to a similar pass rate with the other year 1 classes (6-8 per class achieving 100%).

I pity the kids at bilingual schools doing a full set of Mandarin and English homework!

Wow!
The amount of this homework is freaking me out. Grade 1 @ more than 5 hrs a week homework?

This seems a bit much! Grade 1 for me was SFA. Sweet Fugg All! Two many trees to climb!

There’s progress for you: mind-numbing freaky HW to contend with.

As if Life wasn’t Scary Enuff For A Six Year Old.
I will Spend the rest of my life telling him, "it ain’t gonna get any easier, than this. "

And of course he will spend much of his early life telling me, “It’s gotta get easier than This!”

Ah, School Daze…

I agree that it’s too much. Teachers don’t confer with one another to see if the workload they’ve assigned is manageable. Teachers also do not want to be seen as the weak lnk in the chain. They would rather be seen as tough than soft. I’m a soft teacher because I didn’t like it when my youth was wasted on doing homework.

[quote=“TheGingerMan”]Is your child or children enrolled in a public elementary school, in Grade 1 through 3?

Cheers,

CuriousMan[/quote]

my kids are currently in the 3rd and 1st grades.

Chou

My daughter is in third grade. She has about one hour of homework a night, two if she dawdles. She’s doing just fine, considering this is her first year here in Taiwan, and most of her time is spent with Chinese language learning. We’ve been very lucky to have a fantastic teacher. Don’t sweat it - your kids will be able to handle it. My daughter is a reuglar, happy kid who dislikes homework as much as any other kid.

You are absolutley right bro.