Israel is thirsty

It won’t be the last Water War we’ll see in our lifetime…

[quote]…a “war of acreage” whereby Israel would expand its territory, acquire a new strategic depth, and simultaneously address its chronic water shortage by exploiting the Litani.

Access to the Litani would translate into an annual increase of water supply by 800 million cubic meters. This in turn might allow Israel to bargain with Syria over the Golan Heights, source of a full one-third of Israel’s fresh water. However, a more likely scenario is Israel’s continued unwillingness to abide by United Nations Resolutions 242 and 338 calling for its withdrawal from the Syrian territories. [/quote]

Interesting theory - here is the link to the opinion piece:
http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Middle_East/HH05Ak01.html

WOW…so all of the Hezzbollah bunkers, Hezzbollah troop build-ups, Hezzbollah arms and rockets fired into Israel, Hezzbollah commando raids into Israeli villages and kibbutzim inside Israeli borders and Hezzbollah terrorist bombings inside Israel are just a thinly veiled Israeli plot for mastery of the aquifers and aquatic resources of southern Lebanon!

WOW!..them Joooozs are sneaky!
/wise-ass.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]WOW…so all of the Hezzbollah bunkers, Hezzbollah troop build-ups, Hezzbollah arms and rockets fired into Israel, Hezzbollah commando raids into Israeli villages and kibbutzim inside Israeli borders and Hezzbollah terrorist bombings inside Israel are just a thinly veiled Israeli plot for mastery of the aquifers and aquatic resources of southern Lebanon!

/wise-ass.
[/quote]

yes- the authors assertions are a bit sketchy…but it is an interesting theory.

At the very least the water resources would be a nice gain for Israel. Protecting the water conduits, pumping stations and water treatment plants in Lebanon would [perhaps] be difficult in the long term…

anyway…its just another angle to throw into the mix…to muddy the waters a bit more (bad pun…sorry) :blush:

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]WOW…so all of the Hezzbollah bunkers, Hezzbollah troop build-ups, Hezzbollah arms and rockets fired into Israel, Hezzbollah commando raids into Israeli villages and kibbutzim inside Israeli borders and Hezzbollah terrorist bombings inside Israel are just a thinly veiled Israeli plot for mastery of the aquifers and aquatic resources of southern Lebanon!

/wise-ass.
[/quote]

Yep. Betchya didn’t know Germany attacked Poland in self defence, either, did ya? It’s true. According to Goebbels & Co, Polish soldiers, in a blatant act of agression, crossed the border into Germany, occupied a radio station, and made a pro-Polish radio broadcast. I mean, c’mon, why would the Nazis lie about something like that?

In any case, I’m sure it’s all the Jews’ fault…

or is it George dubya’s?..:ponder:

Back when I was a stoner in my middle school years, I heard and read and talked about lots of “interesting theories” while stoned. But, I don’t give those theories much credence now.

[quote=“Tigerman”]
Back when I was a stoner in my middle school years, I heard and read and talked about lots of “interesting theories” while stoned. But, I don’t give those theories much credence now.[/quote]

Why? because you aren’t interested in anything? Or because you need to be stoned?

Was this a pathetic attempt to connect those of us who enjoy reading from a wide range of sources to the “stoner” community? :wink:

Probably not…you are more intelligent than that. I have enjoyed reading some of your posts on this forum.

I once had a professor who believed all wars in the Middle East and Africa, and some in Asia, were about water. Then again, anthorpoligists tend to forget to taken into account other things that matter like economic resources, politics, and aggression from outside forces.

Yes -
Israel is sooo thirsty that she asked Hezbollah to kidnap soldiers and launch rockets on Israeli cities, just to get Lebanon’s water (6 years after Israel withdrew southern Lebanon). And Hezbollah said “yes”…come on, does anyone believe that?!

[quote=“serious_fun”][quote=“Tigerman”]
Back when I was a stoner in my middle school years, I heard and read and talked about lots of “interesting theories” while stoned. But, I don’t give those theories much credence now.[/quote]

Why? because you aren’t interested in anything? Or because you need to be stoned?

Was this a pathetic attempt to connect those of us who enjoy reading from a wide range of sources to the “stoner” community? :wink: [/quote]

No, no. None of the above.

I just mean that I don’t necessarily think much of a theory only because it is interesting.

[quote=“Taichung Social Club”]
In any case, I’m sure it’s all the Jews’ fault…

or is it George dubya’s?..:ponder:[/quote]

You left out Karl Rove. And there you have it:

[color=red]
The Unholy Trinity Of Evil!
[/color]

There are several posts about this topic in the “Conflict: Israel and Lebanon” part 2 thread and elsewhere. I know posts get buried quickly and its hard to dig out what has already been said. I agree completely with the Atimes author on this subject. The push into Lebanon was a way for the Isrealis to take control of the water in southern lebanon. Anyone that labels this issue CT/nutcase is just proving themselves to be ignorant of the history and facts. Its not a theory, its the truth.

Some supporting links posted previously:

Water As A Conflict Issue in South Lebanon
Israel lays claim to Palestinian water
Israel’s Appropriation of Arab Water: An Obstacle to Peace
Squeezing the Last Drops from Palestine

How does Israel withrdawing its army when a multinational force arrives support this truth?

Its too early to say how this will play into the outcome. What I mean is does anyone really know if Isreal intends to leave Lebanon for good? Perhaps the bufferzone won’t be Southern Lebanon, it will be the northern shore of the Litani. Lebanon today is too weak to challenge Israel for any lost territory. Just suppose a peace deal is worked out with Syria to return the Golan Heights? (which means water for Damacus) Hizbollah would then lose an important financal and logistics supporter. Then again, what if Israel gets bogged down into their own mini-iraq with an Iranian supported enemy? This could just as likely happen. Regardless of the outcome the reasons for Isreali going into Lebannon with such force has to be more than just kidnappings. (which could have been avoided with a prisoner swap).