Israeli diplomat kicked out of UK over passport fraud

Same old story. Israel wants to whack someone, is willing to piss on other nations and endanger their citizens to do so.

[quote=“BBC”]Britain’s foreign secretary David Miliband has taken the decision to expel an Israeli diplomat after the UK’s serious organised crime agency turned up evidence that Israel cloned British passports.
The Israeli diplomat is not the ambassador himself, but the expulsion sends a very strong signal to Israel of Britain’s disapproval and anger.
The indications are that the person who will go will be the head of the London station of Mossad - Israel’s secret intelligence service.
Diplomatic sources say Britain does not have evidence that Mossad murdered senior Hamas official Mahmoud al-Mabhouh in Dubai.
However, the accusation was made by police in the United Arab Emirates.[/quote]

[quote=“Guardian (2004)”]The prime minister of New Zealand angrily denounced Israel and imposed diplomatic sanctions on it after two suspected Mossad agents were jailed for six months for trying on false grounds to obtain a New Zealand passport.
The plot, which involved obtaining a passport in the name of a tetraplegic man who had not spoken in years, provoked a furious reaction yesterday.

“The breach of New Zealand laws and sovereignty by agents of the Israeli government has seriously strained our relationship with Israel,” said the prime minister, Helen Clark.

“This type of behaviour is unacceptable internationally by any country. It is a sorry indictment of Israel that it has again taken such actions against a country with which it has friendly relations.”[/quote]

[quote=“BBC (1998)”]The Canadian Foreign Minister, Lloyd Axworthy, has ordered an investigation into allegations that Israeli secret service members are still using Canadian passports for covert operations.
But he admitted that there was no evidence to support new allegations, reported by a Canadian television programme on Tuesday, that Mossad is still seeking Canadian passports.

Israel undertook to take steps to end the practice in 1997, after Israeli agents were caught carrying doctored Canadian passports.

The agents bungled an attempt to assassinate Khaled Meshaal, a leader of the militant Islamic Hamas movement, in September in neighbouring Jordan.

After the incident became public, Canada received pledges from the Israeli Prime Minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, and Foreign Minister, David Levy, that Israel would no longer use Canadian passports in covert operations.[/quote]

I’m just surprised this all has come out in public, this is usually the kind of shit you’d expect they’d deal with in back rooms and secret calls, the fact that it came out means someone couldn’t convince the UAE to keep a lid on it - not sure what that means though.

You can bet all the show will have little effect on what Israel does though, they’ll just keep doing it, whatever they say. I don’t agree with a lot of their policies, but they are a tiny little country literally surrounded by countries and people openly sworn to murdering them.

[quote=“Jaboney”]Same old story. Israel wants to whack someone, is willing to piss on other nations and endanger their citizens to do so.

[quote=“BBC”]Britain’s foreign secretary David Miliband has taken the decision to expel an Israeli diplomat after the UK’s serious organised crime agency turned up evidence that Israel cloned British passports.
The Israeli diplomat is not the ambassador himself, but the expulsion sends a very strong signal to Israel of Britain’s disapproval and anger.
The indications are that the person who will go will be the head of the London station of Mossad - Israel’s secret intelligence service.
Diplomatic sources say Britain does not have evidence that Mossad murdered senior Hamas official Mahmoud al-Mabhouh in Dubai.
However, the accusation was made by police in the United Arab Emirates.[/quote]

[quote=“Guardian (2004)”]The prime minister of New Zealand angrily denounced Israel and imposed diplomatic sanctions on it after two suspected Mossad agents were jailed for six months for trying on false grounds to obtain a New Zealand passport.
The plot, which involved obtaining a passport in the name of a tetraplegic man who had not spoken in years, provoked a furious reaction yesterday.

“The breach of New Zealand laws and sovereignty by agents of the Israeli government has seriously strained our relationship with Israel,” said the prime minister, Helen Clark.

“This type of behaviour is unacceptable internationally by any country. It is a sorry indictment of Israel that it has again taken such actions against a country with which it has friendly relations.”[/quote]

[quote=“BBC (1998)”]The Canadian Foreign Minister, Lloyd Axworthy, has ordered an investigation into allegations that Israeli secret service members are still using Canadian passports for covert operations.
But he admitted that there was no evidence to support new allegations, reported by a Canadian television programme on Tuesday, that Mossad is still seeking Canadian passports.

Israel undertook to take steps to end the practice in 1997, after Israeli agents were caught carrying doctored Canadian passports.

The agents bungled an attempt to assassinate Khaled Meshaal, a leader of the militant Islamic Hamas movement, in September in neighbouring Jordan.

After the incident became public, Canada received pledges from the Israeli Prime Minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, and Foreign Minister, David Levy, that Israel would no longer use Canadian passports in covert operations.[/quote][/quote]
I’ll take Mossad ingenuity and “chutzpah” any day over Lloyd Axworthy’s pussy “Soft Diplomacy” mantra. If there is one thing I credit Martin’s Liberals and Harpers’s Cons with doing, it is changing the flavour of Canada’s military to one that favours “hard action”. :bravo:

cubanet.org/CNews/y99/jan99/07e8.htm

As far as I can see, that’s the whole point of an intelligence agency. The US does it, the UK does it, Australia does it, and so on. Otherwise, what’s the point? If they’re caught they should face the full force of the law, but if they aren’t, well that’s sort of the idea behind the whole thing.

next US?

I think it’s more like ‘Intelligence agency in ‘intelligence-agency-caught-doing-what-intelligence-agencies-are-supposed-to-do’ shocker!’.

The real issue of distaste (in the case of the Guardian article from 2004) is not that they were caught trying to illegally obtain New Zealand passports, but that they wanted them at all.

I’m not sure I understand the fuss at all, except that it’s the usual political dance that governments apparently have to do. It’s a victimless crime, perpetrated by a government agency the purpose of which is specifically to do this sort of thing. Move along please, nothing to see here.

Fortigurn: I agree. Maybe this wouldn’t be such an issue if various other governments in the West had the balls to off these Palestinian fuckwits with greater frequency. In a variation on that old philosophical connundrum, we have to ask, “if a member of Hamas is killed in a hotel, does anyone give a shit?”

Still, it’s a bit gauche to want to pretend to be a Kiwi, for fuck’s sake.

Just one? Not the whole embassy? Then they’re just going through the motions.

55555555 nice one, gimme 5. (except for the KGB guys who get total respek)

STOP PRESS SPOOKS USE FAKE PASSPORTS READ ALL ABOUT IT

Quite. :ponder:

What nonsense! I’m sure that doesn’t happen! I mean to SAY! :unamused: