Israeli Song could be Banned at Eurovision Contest

Asked to pick a song for this year’s Eurovision song contest, Israelis rejected Eurovision themes of peace, love and harmony and chose a song about the threat of terrorism and Armageddon called “Push the Button.” The song, sung by the Teapacks in English, French and Hebrew, integrates eastern sounds, rock and rap into a catchy tune. It was chosen this week as the country’s preferred song in a phone-in television show and now the band will go forward to the Eurovision finals in Helsinki in May. However, the European organizers of the contest are talking about banning the song.

In my opinion, this is just the latest example of the “institutional Anti-Semitism” that seems to fester in European media, government, academia and entertainment circles.

I am sure if the song contained references to Chimpy McHitlerstein, the organizers would have no problem with it at all. In the 1980s, organizers had no problem with the very political “99 Luftballons” from Nena.

Why different treatment for an Israeli band?

ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340 … 43,00.html

I was hoping for “Rock-et the Casbah”…but thats just me…:smiley:

Lebanon would enter, but it would be illegal under Lebanese law to show Israel’s entry, so they can’t enter. Jordananian TV once cut out Israel’s entry and said Belgium won when Israel did.

99 Luftballoons was a song about Cold War tensions and it wasn’t a direct mock against any particular country or region.
The lyrics in this song proposed by Israel do to me seem pretty provocative. I think in the current climate regarding terrorism, it is sensible not to antagonize.

I’m sure the eurovision song contest venue is already a target for attacks, not least because of all the utterly shit music which is allowed to be performed there. Songs with the potential to antagonize should be banned. I really can’t accept your view that this is some kind of “Institutional Anti-Semmitism.”

since when are isreal, lebanon and jordan actually in europe? can we enter a song from here in that case?

and the real question is, WHO CARES since all the songs are crap anyway (with the delightful and surprising exception of Lordi)!!

[quote=“urodacus”]since when are Israel, lebanon and jordan actually in europe? can we enter a song from here in that case?
[/quote]

Any country (or member broadcaster) that is a member of the European Broadcasting Union (EBU) is entitled to take part in the Eurovision Song Contest. The Israeli broadcaster IBA is a member of the EBU. If any broadcaster in Taiwan is a member of the EBU, I assume that Taiwan could send a contestant.

the EBU, hey? fair enough.

99 Luftballoons was a song about Cold War tensions and it wasn’t a direct mock against any particular country or region.
The lyrics in this song proposed by Israel do to me seem pretty provocative. I think in the current climate regarding terrorism, it is sensible not to antagonize.

I’m sure the eurovision song contest venue is already a target for attacks, not least because of all the utterly shit music which is allowed to be performed there. Songs with the potential to antagonize should be banned. I really can’t accept your view that this is some kind of “Institutional Anti-Semmitism.”[/quote]

Well, we will have to agree to disagree on our perceptions of anti-Semitism in Europe. However, anyone who has spent time in London around diplomats, academic, and media people will know just how racist a lot of Europeans are towards Israeli and Jewish people. Shameful indeed. Here is a good link to an article on Anti-Semitism in Europe.
jcpa.org/phas/phas-19.htm

Regarding the song—what is provocative? Iran or Mahmoud Ahmadinejad are not mentioned in the song at all. Like the musicians say in the interview, the song is about crazy rulers. Songs about nameless crazy rulers are offensive to Eurovision officials, but references to cold war tensions (e.g., 99 Luftballoons) are ok? Since Europe has experienced both crazy rulers and cold war tensions, you would expect a little more free speech for musicians wouldn’t you?

The Fins running the show must come from “Red” families during the civil war. :laughing:

Because Israel is not exactly bosom buddies with the surrounding countries, many of the regionalised organisations it takes part in are European, rather than Middle Eastern.

The Israel national football team is interesting in that it has at various times belonged to the Asian, Oceanian, South American and African football conferences, before settling in to the European version. Seriously, can you imagine refereeing a game between Israel and Iran? No thanks.

Trivia: Israel’s biggest victory on the football pitch? 9-0 in Wellington, NZ, versus our very own Taiwan (as the team was then known) in 1988.

The lyrics look harmless to me. Maybe the producers of the show are on drugs?

Well, to be honest I couldn’t give a damn about Europe, the UK and the US; I think they all have pretty appalling governments at the moment and I really have no time for them. Europe and the US are both as deeply hypocritical as each other and both show signs of racism and anti-semitism. I equally have no time for Israel, which is a real trouble maker, in my very humble opinion.

So what? How many songs do you know of which discuss drugs, sex and or violence without actually mentioning the names of any drugs; without mentioning the words “sex” or “violence?”

There must be thousands and thousands.

Like the musicians say? So you believe all musicians? Of course, in any interview, they are going to say this. Do you think they are going to say, “Oh, yeah, the song is about Iran and Mahmoud Ahmadinejad…?”

Besides, it doesn’t take a genius to put two and two together and work out what the lyrics are about.

You seem to be missing the point.

In the Cold War, the risk of a terrorist attack from either the east or the west was incredibly unlikely.
These days, we live in very different times. Don’t you think that even if the Eurovision officials deem the song to be offensive and are mistaken, it would be very easy from some nutcase from Iran to misconstrue the lyrics and use it as an excuse to launch an attack?

If cartoons from Denmark can cause trouble, mis-directed lyrics from Israel surely can.

You would. But I think the song contest is not a platform to take a stab at crazy rulers, especially in today’s climate.

[quote]99 Luftballoons was a song about Cold War tensions and it wasn’t a direct mock against any particular country or region.
The lyrics in this song proposed by Israel do to me seem pretty provocative. I think in the current climate regarding terrorism, it is sensible not to antagonize.[/quote]

While I agree the song may cause problems, I don’t believe the most sensible option is self-censorship.

Take the Danish cartoons you mentioned. The riots over the Danish cartoons were not sudden, unexpected eruptions of anger. A group of Danish imams carefully fueled the fires when the cartoons were released in late 2005; the riots began at their command in February 2006. Several people were killed during an attack on the Italian embassy in Libya, a nun was killed in Somalia, and native Christians were attacked in Pakistan. Muslims marched through the streets of Europe with signs like, “Kill those insult Muhammad”, and “Behead those who say Islam is a violent religion”.

And what was the response of Europe? A few brave publications reprinted the cartoons, but most were quick to denounce the action. European governments and diplomats erupted in apologies. Those journalists and politicians who were so quick to express their “sympathy” with the bullying, threatening Muslims should have been defending freedom of speech and the rule of law. Those Danish cartoonists are now living in hiding, as well as a handful of other people brave enough to speak out, including a British high school teacher.

The United States is no less cowardly. Very few publications reprinted the cartoons here, and plenty denounced the cartoons. The official “condemnations” issued by the Western governments regarding the violent actions and protests of Muslims in Europe and abroad were faint echoes compared to their thunderous apologies and expressions of sympathy.

I say to hell with self-censorship and to hell with kowtowing before these bullies. We in the West need to send a clear message to Muslims that their threats will not be tolerated. The Sharia proscription against depicting the so-called prophet Muhammad does not apply in our countries. Likewise the death penalty for breaking such a prescription equally bears no weight, and ditto for all other forms of blasphemy against Muhammad or Islam. If Muslims are going to integrate into European society, they need to understand that they must conform to the laws of Europe, even when those laws contradicts Islamic law. Threats will not be tolerated, and force will be met in kind.

I hope that song wins.

Yes, because that means that Belgium wins!

It’s ok, they’re happy with it!

Israeli band couldn’t be happier with controversy
TEL AVIV, Israel (AP) – The Israeli pop band Teapacks is enjoying a comeback – thanks to a Finnish official trying to ban the group’s “Push the Button” from the Eurovision song competition.

Israel’s entry to the contest, the song has been interpreted as a jab at Iran’s hard-line president and his nuclear ambitions. And the controversy has made “Push the Button” ubiquitous on the local airwaves and pushed the number of viewers of the song on YouTube to about 100,000; it’s also ended a career slump for the quirky, two decade-old band.

edition.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Mus … index.html

Is it still “anti-Semitism” if it makes Jews happy?

At least “99 Luftballons” was sort-of catchy. The Israeli song is tuneless and basically crap. So is Eurovision. And Finland.

BroonAbba

Da Da Da was a catchy song.
99 Luftballons is terrible

I guess maybe if Americans start cutting off a few heads of Europeans we can have crappy anti-american songs banned too.

Russia’s entry in Eurovision 2005 was Natalia Podolskaya. Her song?

[quote]Nobody Hurt No One

Hello sweet America,
Where did our dream disappear
Look at little Erica,
All she learns today is the fear
You deny the truth,
You just having fun
Till your child will shoot your gun

CHORUS:

Nobody hurt no one
Nobody hurt no one (anybody)
Nobody hurt no one
Nobody hurt no one

She didn wanna go to school,
Didn wanna face all this pain
Mammy, can I stay at home,
I am scared, the boys are insane
Don you dare to say,
Her reaction dump
Cause she had no place to run.

CHORUS:

Nobody hurt no one
Nobody hurt no one (anybody) (so please don hurt any one)
Nobody hurt no one
Nobody hurt no one

You deny the truth,
You just having fun
Till your child will shoot your gun
Don you dare to say,
Her reaction dump
Cause she had no place to run.[/quote]

esckaz.ueuo.com/russia/2005e.htm
bbc.co.uk/radio2/eurovision/ … ntestants/

Banning the song isn’t anti-semetic at all…thats absolute rubbish. Dangermouse’s point is valid in that there is a good chance that if the song wins or even gains widespread media attention, it could cause all kinds of reprisals and outrage.

But I don’t think thats a reason to ban it. The song itself is an expression of Israel’s main political concern. Banning it equivalent to banning the freedom of speech and when we do that we move one step further away from Democracy.

Eurovision’s not democracy!

[quote=“lurkky”]Eurovision’s not democracy![/quote]It’s got lots of voting on politcal grounds. What else do you need ?