ITAD / recyclers in Taiwan?

Any enterprise ITAD outfits here? :thinking:

What are you trying to get rid of?

There’s a junkyard close to my shop. I’m sure there are junk yard near you too. They can recycle stuff (they vary as to what they will take). A lot of poor people would pick up junk from the street and sell it to them.

Most likely acquire, for export, unless there’s a market here, then import. Either way would be IT infrastructure stuff, servers, storage, networking, etc.

So you want to take thrown away equipment, maybe fix it, and resell it?

Not specifically, though ITAD often goes in that direction. A typical scenario is where a technology-heavy company, (e.g. datacenter, larger corp etc), has an equipment replacement policy that follows a defined schedule.
Existing (still functional) gear as well as onsite spares (NOS) etc are removed and replaced with nice new shiny gear. Quite often large enterprise (esp datacenters) will have something like 3-5 year replacement cycles on gear that’s designed for 10+ years.

The flip side of that is companies that squeeze every last year out of their gear, (typically SMBs) and are willing to pay a premium for replacement parts that are no longer in production so as to avoid replacing the whole thing, or who are on a tight budget to begin with and looking for a good deal on something they know will have a shorter useful life remaining but costs less up front for enterprise-grade equipment they couldn’t afford otherwise.

ITAD services sit in the middle, typically on the take-out side. One of my lines of business deals with ITAD companies…

The problem is, that this kind of huge enterprise are comparitively few and far between in Taiwan.

While…

It is pretty easy to find cheap used components on Ruten as many of the larger companies know they can get some value by selling it.

It doesn’t really work the way it does in the west.

Right now I am replacing the power supplies on some 10 year old monitors and frequently repair laptops here at the office when not busy. They’re $200-500 each for the PSU.

That could well be, though I know of several large American ITAD services who deal with larger corps in Taiwan and bring container loads over to America on a regular basis. At the scale they operate though, my suspicion is that there’s at least one or two local operators doing the same thing. That’s who we’re looking for. :sunglasses::crossed_fingers::grin: