Its like a tin whistle but its not

In Carrefour I bought (for NTD60) a Chinese Whistle. It plays like a tin whistle - I can play some tunes not too fancy containing embillishments, rolls, taps etc

I looked up Chinese whistles on the internet but could not find a match

Anyway on the underside of it is a hole, that if I close with my thumb makes it sound like a C tin whistle. On the bottom is an additional hole that I leave open.

Does anybody know what these holes are for (perhaps Sandman)?

Thanks
Conor

change of octaves?

drool drains?

Have to see it first, Conor. Your not Doctor Slop are you?
The thumbhole’s usually for octaves, I believe, like a recorder. Don’t know what the hole at the bottom’s for without having a gander.
How many fingerholes does it have? Six like a whistle or seven or eight like a recorder?

A hole on the underside of the whistle? Step away from it carefully… it might not even be a whistle. Those imitation whistles from China sometimes only just sound like a tin whistle.

Photo! Post a photo!

If its made of plastic, then I think we all know it’s not a real tin whistle.

Its actually a recorder (thanks to Sandman for his help )

Its like a tin whistle in that you can play it like a tin whistle :wink:

[quote=“TNT”]Its actually a recorder (thanks to Sandman for his help )

Its like a tin whistle in that you can play it like a tin whistle :wink:[/quote]
In that you blow into one end. I suppose. It’s very different to a tin whistle, though. You’re going to be disappointed in it if you’re attempting Irish tunes on it.

[quote=“sandman”]
In that you blow into one end. I suppose. It’s very different to a tin whistle, though. You’re going to be disappointed in it if you’re attempting Irish tunes on it.[/quote]
:smiley:

You actually can, but I assume not true to a tin whistle performance, but it keeps me entertained. So far I can play (badly) one jig and a couple of ballads on the recorder (learned the tin whistle in primary school for a year so have the basic finger coordination). Anyway friend in Ireland is shipping me over a C and D tin whistle

bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/A506387

If all else fails, you can grab a primary school student off the street and demand that she teach you how to play the recorder.