It's ok when Asians make fun of Asians?

Actually if a white guy were to do an Asian accent and jokingly immitate the way Asians speak English…in Canada or America it would be considered racist.

But when I used to teach Adults…if I did an Asian impersonation they loved it…everytime. I could even go so far as to use my fingers to pull my eyes slanty…they thought it was hilarious. I’m probably going to get flamed for admiting having done that…but they liked it…so what’s the problem?

Anyway…the main reason I came in here was to post this link:

http://www.youtube.com/w/dat-phan?v=ZNHGcdVWgFA

Hit the pause button and let it “load” for a bit…so it doens’t play all jerky.

Perhaps your class understood that you were not racist against Asians and that your humor was targeted at looks. Were you a stranger, they may have taken offense.

But I think you do have a point. Taiwanese seem to accept laughter about other people’s voice/appearance as fine. I think few of them think much of it unless it is directed at themselves, at which time they seem to endure it.

(The above are generalizations based on observations. They could well be false- it’s just what I’ve seen.)

But that doesn’t mean all Taiwanese are fine with that sort of behavior. I’ve met several who find how other Chinese treat each other quite rude. I think you’re right that Taiwan society is more permissive of such mockery than western societies.

This allows more latitude for humor and parody, but also lets people get away with being insensitive and shows approval for some racist views.

The word mockery is a bit strong. And the fact that you had to include the "(The above are generalizations based on observations. They could well be false- it’s just what I’ve seen.) " into your post shows how you too are fearful of the Politically Correct hate mongers.

If some Asian person were to jokingly hold there eyes wide and immitate a foreigner saying something stereotypical like “I want a big-mac”…I’d find it funny (and I’ve seen this before).

Taiwanese love immitations (better word than mockeries) even with my childrens school…I sometimes read the English book as a Japanese man…or Chinese…or German…etc. And even though the students don’t neccisarily recognize the accents they still howl with laughter…the adult co-teacher included. It’s kinda odd…or maybe they’re just humor starved.

I believe intent is the most important factor in one’s actions, not taboos. Your students were comfortable insofar as they believed you aren’t a racist. They saw the humour in your observations about Asians and maybe could relate to them. If people are astute enough to know when humour is only humour, and aren’t overly sensitive, they won’t become needlessly offended. Also, Asians are (obviously) not minority subjects here. They likely haven’t experienced the pressures of being minority subjects and, thus, aren’t sensitive about jokes made about Asians in the same way an Asian in North America, who maybe grew up experiencing racism, might be.

They just probably thought you were takling the piss out f some other Aisa, like a Jap or Viet, or something.

To really test the waters you should get an Asian (Jap) to take the piss out of another Asian (say, mainland Chinese). They could do something funny like parody the insitent refusals of a comfort woman under pressure.

But, no, you are right, racial sensitivity is generally over-developed in the west.

HG

There’s that fine line between mockery and just plain funny. This guy dat phan, is just mocking himself IMO basically an Asian sambo because he doesn’t have any talent or patience to write something that would be funny.

Funny would be an Asian mocking a problem s/he sees in their community or group that everyone could identify with. But they tell it via their point of view. In others words, you know they are telling it via a point of view, but you aren’t laughing at the person, but the point of view.

"“Did I do thaat?”

[quote=“Mordeth”]The word mockery is a bit strong. And the fact that you had to include the "(The above are generalizations based on observations. They could well be false- it’s just what I’ve seen.) " into your post shows how you too are fearful of the Politically Correct hate mongers.

If some Asian person were to jokingly hold there eyes wide and immitate a foreigner saying something stereotypical like “I want a big-mac”…I’d find it funny (and I’ve seen this before).

Taiwanese love immitations (better word than mockeries) even with my childrens school…I sometimes read the English book as a Japanese man…or Chinese…or German…etc. And even though the students don’t neccisarily recognize the accents they still howl with laughter…the adult co-teacher included. It’s kinda odd…or maybe they’re just humor starved.[/quote]
I think Taiwanese society allows both mockery and immitations far moreso than western culture. In some ways I feel it’s a good thing. Too much PC. But on the other hand, I think quite a bit of mean-spirited stuff is allowed here, too.

I agree with what you said. I was just adding in the down side.

[quote=“Namahottie”]
Funny would be an Asian mocking a problem s/he sees in their community or group that everyone could identify with. But they tell it via their point of view. In others words, you know they are telling it via a point of view, but you aren’t laughing at the person, but the point of view.[/quote]

No doubt.

In my view, All Great Comedy {physical comedy (sight gags) aside}, as well as the best religious jokes, are delivered (and indeed received) in this frame of reference.

I was gonna post that video today too!

I just about pissed myself when I watched it…funniest thing I’ve seen in awhile. It was bang-on.

Eh :idunno:. It was okay, but Comedy Central wasted a good half hour of programming on mediocre talent.

Personally, I thought the dubbed Aladdin clip on the same site was much funnier.

Nothing will ever be as funny as Fawlty Towers. Ever. Possibly Billy Connolly. I have actually literally wet myself laughing at Billy Connolly. :notworthy:

[quote=“ImaniOU”]Eh :idunno:. It was okay, but Comedy Central wasted a good half hour of programming on mediocre talent.

Personally, I thought the dubbed Aladdin clip on the same site was much funnier.[/quote]

I downloaded the whole Aladdin thing from their site. The clip was funny…the full length one isn’t so funny so far…but I’m hoping it will pick up (I’m only a few minutes into it).

This is my son, Jaffacakes…Jaffacakes, did you get the cheesebwugers and gravy?

I just sat through the Dat phan video… to be honest I thought it was about as funny as cot death. His “comedy” seems too easy and predictable, and from a quick bit of research on the imdb it seems he has used the same jokes for a while.

Maybe if he gets some new material he could improve, otherwise he will go back to the nail-salon obscurity he based his whole act on.

I heard that even Asians make fun of each other since Western people sometimes poke fun at Asians. Jokes suggesting Asians as inferior, I don’t like. Esther Ku, for example, made some seriously insulting jokes regarding Asians, mainly Asian men. They were in poor taste. Some Asian jokes are funny as long as it’s in good taste and doesn’t go too far.

2 Likes

When people makes ching chong jokes or Asian jokes, I don’t get mad. I tease them back.

1 Like

Some may say that it’s either all ok, or non of it is ok.
I’d say that context matters.

1 Like