Here it comes – the Bush administration can’t call it a “draft,” but instead they’re sending out the goons to grab old veterans off the streets and send them to war. A few are fighting back.
'Nov. 6, 2004 | HONOLULU (AP) – A veteran of the first Persian Gulf War is suing the Army after it ordered him to report for duty 13 years after he was honorably discharged from active duty and eight years after he left the reserves.
'Kauai resident David Miyasato received word of his reactivation in September, but says he believes he completed his eight-year obligation to the Army long ago.
'Miyasato said he received an honorable discharge from active duty in 1991, then served in the reserves until 1996 to fulfill his eight-year enlistment commitment.
'The Army announced last year that it would involuntarily activate an estimated 5,600 soldiers to serve in Iraq, Afghanistan and elsewhere. Army officials would be tapping members of the Individual Ready Reserve – military members who have been discharged from the Army, Army Reserve or the Army National Guard, but still have contractual obligations to the military.
‘Miyasato said he never re-enlisted, signed up for any bonuses or was told that he had been transferred to the Individual Ready Reserve or any other Army Reserve unit.’