I've never been to America, but I know all about it from TV

You all should start a club. I nominate Tash for president. Please send me a copy of the minutes, so my American friends and I can have a good laugh at your expense.

Apparently, I’m supposed to be riding around in a pickup with a shotgun in the winder. Houng dog at the ready. hyukhyuk

1 Like

Don’t be stupid. You’re wearing a pastel linen suit with the sleeves pushed up and loafers with no socks on. I KNOW Americans.

God damn it, they’re called BOATSHOES or DOCKERS!

get over your cultural cringe, guys.

it is undeniable that the country that most westerners have most access to culturally and visualy is the United States, because of its dominance of TV and film. ergo, us foreigners CAN have a much deeper understanding of america than most americans will ever have of other countries, without having set foot in the place. i can describe times square or hollywood boulevarde to you pretty faithfully: can you describe london’s victoria station or tell me what part of sydney the opera house is in?

and people from america look askance at me when i MENTION american cultural imperialism: not denigrate it (although that would be too easy) but just mention the fact that it is perceived as a problem in some places. you should hear the protestation and denials!

yes, i don’t need to go there to know a lot about it. yes, i would probably learn more if i actually did bother to go, but why bother? it comes to me.

now before you complain about redneck trucks and shotguns again, tell me what you know of australia other than steve irwin and kangaroo stories. or pick another country…

I feel bad now and shall grab my turtleneck and blingbling and depart.

Ok, so urudacus for VP. Who wants to be secretary of treasury?

can you tell me again what the VP does? should i just follow Dick’s example? i don’t have any Halliburton shares, or any from Kellogg Brown Root either. does that matter?

I know that whoever introduced the black fly to Australia should have been shot. Man the flies in that country…

I dunno here Erhu, all us Brits, Saffies, Aussies, Nadians, we all have to suffer from American stereotypes.

Don’t ask me, ask Tash. She’s the one who knows everything.

That goes for us Vermonters too… goddamn foreigners.

Hilarious – Because the TV box told you what America is all about? And where did you get your Bachelors in all things American? University of Warner Brothers?

Hilarious – Because the TV box told you what America is all about? And where did you get your Bachelors in all things American? University of Warner Brothers?[/quote]
Even more hilarious, Ralphy. See, a non-American would NEVER have stooped to misquoting someone in such an idiotic manner. Here. Let mummy help you:

All better now.

Sorry Sandman. It wasn’t misquoted; my reply is the same. Everything’s okay now so you can run along back behind the curtain.

Are we getting all serious now? I think it’s kinda silly that foreigners think they actually understand anything other than American mass media marketing from watching American TV.

Now I’ve seen Little Britain a few times, and I know that the gays there are oppressed and ostracized. Shame on you all.

I’d love to join, Erhu, but we down here in Texas don’t have electricity or internet yet. I might get on my horse and ride up to the north where they have those things. But I’m worried that the Sex and the City girls are going to sex up my horse if I try.

P.S. I watch Monty, Ab Fab, and Red Dwarf. So I know everything about England.

[quote=“ralphy”]

Hilarious – Because the TV box told you what America is all about? And where did you get your Bachelors in all things American? University of Warner Brothers?[/quote]

and where did you get yours from? the university of hairy arses?

look, the issue here is not that we know all there is to know about america from TV. that is patently absurd, but it is true that TV and other forms of media can tell us A LOT about America without having to go there. even Hollywood movies can be educational, if you know what to look at.

i am sure for many americans out there that they have not been to all parts of their country, yet they know a lot about many places they have not been to. travel brochures, friends photos, movies, TV series, magazines. OK for you guys to call that a knowledege of those places then, isn’t it?

right, now realise then that i am in the same situation as you are but for a broader range of places. if that kind of place-education is sufficient to be called a ‘knowledge’ of those places, then i know just as much as you do about many many places in america, except of course for the actual physical places you have been to.

or is it true that americans just dont get it? they’re so touchy on this subject one wonders what they’re getting all defensive about.

don’t judge our knowledge of america by basing it on your (americans) knowledge of other places. you are generally grossly unaware of the extent and breadth of the invasion of american cultural production, with its considerable educational content, inot the lives of other cultures. you don’t realise how much that pisses off other countries too, so just take your shrimp gumbo and stick it where the sun don’t shine, y’all.

We get’s lot of foreigners from Neew-York, Masshole-achusetts and other places comin’ up here and askin’ stupid questions and givin’ us a lot of free advice. They got their big fancy four-wheel trucks but can’t seem to drive 'em on dirt roads or snow no how. And there ain’t a one of 'em smart enough to know what a porky-hog is. That ain’t very smart, mister.