I've never been to America, but I know all about it from TV

That’s not an accent … that’s lack of knowledge of the foreign American english :slight_smile:

Come on everybody, be honest. Who here didn’t learn about good ole American ingenuity from

I’ve never been to Japan, but I know all about from reading manga.

So, are there really flying alien octopi ravishing bug-eyed schoolgirls on every street corner in Tokyo?

[quote=“Quentin”]I’ve never been to Japan, but I know all about from reading manga.

So, are there really flying alien octopi ravishing bug-eyed schoolgirls on every street corner in Tokyo?[/quote]

Yes. Yes there are.

Did you see the Simpsons Macgyver where he kept wanting them to tie him up? It’s called Kiss Kiss Bang Bangalore… (Season 17.)

Richard Dean Anderson: (after being kidnapped) You won’t get away with this! People will know I’m missing! There’s a liquor store I go to every morning.

Richard Dean Anderson (dressed as MacGyver): Hey, ladies! Guess who made MacGyver burgers? MacGyver!
Selma: But we didn’t have any ground beef.
Richard Dean Anderson: True. But you did have Slim Jims, a cheese grater, and rubber bands to hold it all together!

Richard Dean Anderson: I’ve come up with another escape. I want you to tie me up and lock me in the trunk of your car, under the pier at low tide. All I need are these everyday objects — a toothpick, some liquor, a gun with no bullets, bullets, and three of my MacGyver writers.

(And possibly my fav quote of all times… ‘I told you so’ has a brother. His name is ‘shut the hell up.’ )

Born in Canada, went to the states at 7. Hold 2 passports. Lived in Canada briefly from 10-14 and then back to the states, this time San Francisco. Go about my life, grow up, finish school and decide to return to the great white north for my last 2 years of university. Decide on the U of S cause I have great family in Saskatoon (and didn’t want to have to take student loans as my education fund was still in Canadian dollars).

Day one in student apartments I say hello to everyone. Travis, from upper-rubber-boot Saskatchewan, says to me: “So, yer from the States?”

Me: “Ya, I’ve been in San Francisco for the past 6 years.”
Travis: “Er… what kind of gun do you have?”
Me: “Er… what kind of combine do you drive?”

This kind of drivel went on for the entire two years I was there. I became the token American (even though I’m equal parts Canadian) and was suddenly held responsible for all the awful things the government did or said… my life was assumed to have been like 90210, or my favorite past-time was sitting in front of the tv with a 15,000 pound hamburger waiting for a war to break out.

I knew everything there was to know about Taiwan by watching “Meteor Garden” back in the US.

:roflmao:
Patty and Selma always were Richard’s biggest fans.
TomHill if you’ve seen the Simpsons, you pretty much do know everything there is to know about America.

Well, there are also American attitudes toward culinary school and platonic relationships:

I can’t believe no one mentioned this:

They made a sandwich out of The Hairy Cornflake??? :astonished:

Seems nothing’s sacred :frowning:

If you’ve ever seen this show, you know all about what Americans in Asia are like - you know, wacky surgeons:

Americans have always adapted well to difficult environments:

They’ve even survived nightclubs long enough to be able to talk about absolutely nothing for hours on end:

Not that anyone here is guilty of that, yadda yadda yadda :blush:

I’m Radar!

[quote=“SuchAFob”]I’m Radar![/quote]You mean that the poster named Radar is you? Smerf account?

There is a poster named Radar? Nope. not me.

Not sure if people are really interested in the origins of “World Series” but here you go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Series

[quote]The title of this championship may be confusing to some readers from countries where baseball is not a major sport, because the World Series is confined to the champions of two baseball leagues that currently operate only in the United States and Canada.

The explanation is that when the term “World’s Championship Series” was first used in the 1880s, baseball was almost exclusively confined to North America, especially the United States, at a high level. Thus it was understood that the winner of the major league championship was the best baseball team in the world. The title of this event was soon shortened to “World’s Series” and later to “World Series”.[/quote]

[quote=“TomHill”]
Classic American stuff apart from the Equalizer…

Littlest Hobo.
Shatner.
[/quote]

Erm, excuse me?
American??
Two cornerstones of Canadian identity there, young fella…

Unless, of course, you were intending application of an ironicalisticish veneer to the proceedings, to which I reply tally HO young man, splendidly done! Capital jest, eh wot!

[quote=“the chief”][quote=“TomHill”]

Littlest Hobo.
Shatner.
[/quote]

Erm, excuse me?
American??
Two cornerstones of Canadian identity there, young fella…[/quote]

I dunno what you lot quibble about, you are Americans, all of you. Some of you put red dope leafs on your bags and others don’t, but you all basically talk exactly the same.

HG

[quote=“bushibanned”]Born in Canada, went to the states at 7. Hold 2 passports. Lived in Canada briefly from 10-14 and then back to the states, this time San Francisco. Go about my life, grow up, finish school and decide to return to the great white north for my last 2 years of university. Decide on the U of S cause I have great family in Saskatoon (and didn’t want to have to take student loans as my education fund was still in Canadian dollars).

Day one in student apartments I say hello to everyone. Travis, from upper-rubber-boot Saskatchewan, says to me: “So, yer from the States?”

Me: “Ya, I’ve been in San Francisco for the past 6 years.”
Travis: “Er… what kind of gun do you have?”
Me: “Er… what kind of combine do you drive?”

This kind of drivel went on for the entire two years I was there. I became the token American (even though I’m equal parts Canadian) and was suddenly held responsible for all the awful things the government did or said… my life was assumed to have been like 90210, or my favorite past-time was sitting in front of the tv with a 15,000 pound hamburger waiting for a war to break out.[/quote]

LOL :bravo: :bravo: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]
I dunno what you lot quibble about, you are Americans, all of you. Some of you put red dope leafs on your bags and others don’t, but you all basically talk exactly the same.[/quote]

Crank up the Kevin “Bloody” Wilson and toss me another stubby of VB.

Close but now try “Crank up the Kevin “Bloody” Wilson and toss me another stubby of VB, mate.” Or alternatively, “Crank up the Kevin “Bloody” Wilson and toss me another stubby of VB, ya cunt.”

See how much better that flows. :laughing:

In an a strange synchronicity all of it’s own, I got sent three KBW tunes the other day. In all truth I;d probably not heard that stuff for twenty years. The lyrics of one below:

HG

[quote]Christmas Song
Hey Santa claus you cunt!
Where’s me fucking bike?
I’ve unwrapped all this other junk and there’s nothing that I like.
I wrote you a fucking letter and I come to see you twice
Ya worn out geriatric fart, you forgot me fucking bike.
If I wanted a pair of bloody thongs, I’d have bloody asked.
And this cowboy suit and ping pong set you can shove right up your arse!
You’ve stuffed me bloody order up
It’s enough to make you spew
And I’m not the only one who’s snakey
Me sisters dirty too!

(female voice)
Hey santa clause you cunt!
Where’s me fucking pram?
You promised me you’d bring me one, you remember who I am.
'Cause I’m the little girl who you made sit right on your hand
I’ll give you fucking ho ho ho
You forgot me fucking pram

(male voice)
Next time I come to see ya, I’m gonna punch you in the guts
And I’ll let your fucking reihndeer go and kick Rudolf in the nuts!
You just wait 'till next year, when you go to that store
And me and me little sister, come stomping through the door
And we’ll say, yeah you wait for it
Hey mums and dads you smell his breath and check his bloodshot eyes
And don’t listen to him boys and girls 'cause he tells fucking lies
He’s just a piss tank and a pervert, and he’s not even very bright
'Cause the old fucking wanker Forgot me fucking bike.
You wait you old cunt, I’m gonna dob you in
Tell me old man on you, he’s gonna punch your fucking lights out

“I saw mummy sucking santa clause”[/quote]

[quote=“the chief”][quote=“TomHill”]

Littlest Hobo.
Shatner.
[/quote]

Erm, excuse me?
American??
Two cornerstones of Canadian identity there, young fella…

Unless, of course, you were intending application of an ironicalisticish veneer to the proceedings, to which I reply tally HO young man, splendidly done! Capital jest, eh wot![/quote]

I’m sorry to say this mate but I didn’t know they were Nadians, and to be honest, now that I know, I couldn’t give a monkies toss. When it comes to TV, Nadians and Muuricans are the same beast.