Jackson Brown and Bruce Springsteen

Does anyone like either of those artists? Anyone have any of their albums?

To me they seem similar. Both seem to be very talented guitar/singers. Both are getting to be old farts, who put out some great songs a few decades ago (and perhaps more recently). But both have also put out a whole load of top-40 radio crap that’s been played so many millions of times I’m reluctant to buy an album by either, certainly not that endless Born In the USA or Running on Empty crap or its ilk.

I’ve only owned one album by either artist: a Springsteen album about illegal immigrants living under bridges, making meth for a living (and dying from it), and other stuff empathic to the downtrodden. I like the album and have thought of buying something else by Bruce but don’t want any irritatingly overplayed pop. Same for Jackson Brown.

Any suggestions? Any albums by either of them worth buying?

I used to have Darkness at the Edge of Town. That’s a fuck of a good record.
Never really into Jackson Browne.

I always liked "Greetings from Asbury Park’. It’s an oldy but a goody.

[quote=“Fox”]I always liked "Greetings from Asbury Park’. It’s an oldy but a goody.

[/quote]

Yeah. That’s the only BS record I ever owned. Didn’t care for him much, but did like that record.

Me too.

Here are Springsteen’s early albums in chron. order, all of which are very good:

[b]Greetings from Asbury Park, N.J.

The Wild, the Innocent and the E Street Shuffle

[u]Born to Run

Darkness on the Edge of Town

The River[/u]

Nebraska[/b]

Among them, I’ve underlined my favorite three. Note that Nebraska is a solo acoustic album which is really great, but dark. Do not listen to this album if you are depressed and have any suicidal tendencies!!!

Here are the rest of his albums. I got the first couple, and liked them, but then quit buying his albums when Tunnel of Love came out – I really didn’t like the parts of it that got radio play. After that, I lost touch with his music.

Born in the U.S.A.

Live/1975-85

Tunnel of Love

Chimes of Freedom (EP)

Human Touch

Lucky Town

In Concert/MTV Plugged

Greatest Hits

The Ghost of Tom Joad

Tracks

18 Tracks

Live in New York City

The Rising

The Essential Bruce Springsteen

Devils & Dust

Born to Run 30th Anniversary Edition

Hammersmith Odeon London '75

We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions

Born to Run is a classic.

I think Springstreen kind of petered out after The River (81), for me anyways. Lots of other good bands spawned off of Bruce such as Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes. I can only take small doses of Springsteen nowadays. Thunderoad, 10th Ave Freeze Out… A slow song I liked I think is called Silent Garden, which was on the soundtrack to Jerry Mcguire. I had all the early Springsteen albums.

Jackson Browne - Running on Empty I remember hearing on the radio all the time in the late 70s. I was more of a lynyrd Skynrd/Meatloaf fan way back then. I saw Springsteen in Concert at the Munich Olympic stadium in 81.

jacksone browne and bruce have both released two EXCELLENT solo acoustic albums!!! check out their websites.