Jade Mountain

I’m thinking of hiking up Jade Mountain next month and would appreciate some info.

How long would it take?
Do I need a guide?
Should I join a group ie Freshtreks, to avoid getting lost?
Erm, where is the start? Is it an A-A trip or A-B, if you know what I mean.

There will probably be 3 of us making the trip, all reasonably fit, but none of us have done it before so would appreciate some info.

Ta

Smiley

It seems no-one more knowledgeable has replied, so I’ll just say (having never done it) that I’m pretty sure you need a permit to hike Jade Mountain and also fairly sure that you can’t get one without a guide.

Any takers on this question?

You need a permit. I work with E.Sun bank on a project here in Taiwan. They take all new employees up the mountain, which they sponsor. The way that they do it takes 2 days. I haven’t been so do not havemuch more info than this. I would be interested in joining though if you want to do it, and have a couple of people who might also want to join.

I will see if I can find out how to get the permits and whether the Bank will help us.

[quote=“smileymiley”]I’m thinking of hiking up Jade Mountain next month and would appreciate some info.

How long would it take?
Do I need a guide?
Should I join a group ie Freshtreks, to avoid getting lost?
Erm, where is the start? Is it an A-A trip or A-B, if you know what I mean.

There will probably be 3 of us making the trip, all reasonably fit, but none of us have done it before so would appreciate some info.

Ta

Smiley[/quote]

Don’t need a guide anymore. Need permit which you can apply for online on the Yushan National Park website.

Two days though you need a day to get there. You stay in cabins on the mountain, or a campsite. Don’t go on a weekend unless you love to be pushed up against middle aged snoring men. Note that most groups don’t go in summer as the chances of a typhoon, rainstorm, shutting down plans are high.

It’s usually a there and back trip though some do a 3-4 day one-way trip to Dongpu. Don’t plan on this the first time.

Freshtreks takes bigger groups. You’ll need 10-15 people. NT7500 I think now.

Anyone reasonably fit can do it. The trails are clear and there are always other people around. You won’t get lost.

Right, no guide needed but need a permit which you would need 3 weeks in advance prior of going. When applying you need an address, a passeport number or ARC number and a person that can be join in case you…break your neck or something.
As a side note, Jade mountain isn’t as pretty as Snow mountain, any particular reason you want to do Jade?
In any case, good hike to you!
Edit: you will need to explain your route when you sign up for the permit. get a map too.

Igor, you got the maps at the shops near the train station right? And didn’t you have to send one in with your application?

Yes, I got the map near the train station, but didn’t have to send them, what was needed was your itinarary (sorry for the spelling) meaning
I’ll be at the entrance of the park 8/12 at 6:00am I’ll reach the first cabin 8/12 at 12:00pm etc…
Because you need to book the cabins before you go.

Great, thanks for your replies.

Igorveni - the only reason we are going to Jade mountain is that I read somewhere that it is a ‘must-do’ but will check out Snow Mountain as we can be flexible.

Thanks

Heres the thread I wrote on Igor’s and my hike up Snow Mountain last fall:

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … w+mountain

The scenery looks beautiful - and it looks like you lucked out with the weather as well.

Just a quick question how far do you think it is from Ranger Station to Chika, Chika to 369, and 369 to the summit?

Thanks

Waooo, roughly I’d say RS to Chika 7KM (hence the name CHI Ka “7 K”)
Chika to 369 9KM but rough climb and 369 to summit 4KM. I won’t bet my salary though!!
Yes, we picked the perfect days, we had an awesome weather!!